The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Change-Over Pass (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mirokai
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Mirokai
There is a move in Bobo to show both hands empty after vanish a coin: it’s called Change-Over Pass but this name is not use anymore.
Any of you know what the name of this kind of techniques is today?

THK.
"Tout ce qui nous arrive de bien et de mal ici-bas était écrit là-haut" Diderot
wayman
View Profile
Special user
England - Sunderland
587 Posts

Profile of wayman
I think your looking for hand washing techniques.

Michael Ammar has some nice ones.
Theres also a VCD (yes VCD) that also shows them.

Its called hand washing because of way that you rub your hands to convincingly show them empty.

Hope this helps.
Mirokai
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Mirokai
Thanks. This helps me indeed. Smile
"Tout ce qui nous arrive de bien et de mal ici-bas était écrit là-haut" Diderot
AlexWong
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of AlexWong
I think there's a CD called “handwashing” by Monty if I am not wrong. Smile
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
I think you understand what this type of move is supposed to accomplish. This sort of thing is still called a "change over", but often, it's not called a "pass". Some people call it a "transfer". More modern changeovers you might want to look at are R. Paul Wilson's, in his coin and purse routine from his first video, and Kainoa Harbottle's variations on Wilson's move, which appear in "Coins on Edge". Kainoa also has some very interesting work on a changeover developed by Shoot Ogawa in "Cointopia", and a deceptive reworking of the Kohler acquitment in "Coins on Edge". See kainoaland.com for these.

What other people have referred to as "handwashing" is a derogatory term for an "acquitment". The point of an "acquitment" is to "acquit" a suspicious hand, by allowing you to show your hands empty while still concealing a load. In the proper context, this can be quite convincing. However, it is rarely so when the audience is actually looking for the coins. If there's any real suspicion that the coins are there, most acquitments are useless.

The misguided attempt to heap one transfer sequence onto another in hopes of making the experience more deceptive lead to the popular expression that "public handwashing is not magic". This was back when "fingerflickers" was also a derogatory term.

These days, we see videos proudly proclaiming themselves to be both of these things.

Classic changeovers, in proper contexts, are found in the work of John Ramsay, Arthur Buckley, and Geoffrey Buckingham. One good example of an excellent effect built entirely upon the changeover of a stack of a dozen coins is Dr. Sawa's "Slot Machine", which has seen print thus far only in an old issue of Genii. Several of the classic changeovers are described in the Vernon Chronicles. Another good contemporary source is "Unexplainable Acts" by Gary Kurtz.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4155 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
I have several changeover passes on my DVD's, “The Encyclopedia of Coin Sleights,” along with about 100 other various sleights, many never published before.
AT LAST - a NEW fun coins across!! MIGRATE is filled with laughs, magic, cool moves, lasts over 3 minutes, uses props, comes in a Poker Chip version or special Deluxe version with coins, and is about...BEARS!
https://youtu.be/gGjMtW1DLjA

Send inquiries to rubinsteindvm@aol.com

Available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
And if anyone (USA ONLY) needs some of the coin stuff used in the book, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com as I have some limited supplies of coins and props used in the book.
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
There are two such moves in my book Tubthumping. The first, which hides a single (extra) coin, is used in a Spellbound routine to show both hands empty as a coin is displayed on both sides (heads/tails). The other is a multi (3) coin aquitment, which allows you to show both hands empty, EXCEPT for a single coin, at the end of Hanging Coins.

As Curtis mentions these things need to exist as part of a routine and should not be used in isolation to shows the hands empty. They are properly used to ALLOW the hands to be seen empty. The difference is almost entirely attitude.

You must not project that you are proving anything or the actions, no matter how well engineered, will be suspect.

cheers
bill

http://www.oz.net/~bduncan/myweb3/tubthumping.htm
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Change-Over Pass (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL