The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Lee Smith/Gary Jones - new DVD project (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheStoner
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of TheStoner
If you enjoyed the recent iCandy DVD from Lee Smith and Gary Jones then you may interested to know that their next project from RSVP is on the way and you can get a live sneak preview in a few weeks time! They will be filming sections of the DVD at the September meet-up of the London Magic/Hypno group. The meet takes place at TGI Friday, 6 Bedford Street, Covent Garden, London on Monday 17th September from 12pm onwards. It's free to get in and promises to be a great day of beer, burgers and magic. Come and chat with other magicians, share ideas, entertain passers-by and see Lee and Gary filming with RSVP's Russ Stevens. Everyone welcome!
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
If only I lived in London!
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1691 Posts

Profile of Markymark
I hope they say some interesting stuff when performing.Sometimes there is a bit too much ''and now I do this and this and then you do
this and I click my fingers and then..kind of stuff from them.
On the plus side English magician Matthew Wright is coming out with a new dvd.It also may be from RSVP so I hope this post is not too
much of a hijack!
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
974 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
Quote:
On 2012-08-15 10:21, Markymark wrote:
I hope they say some interesting stuff when performing.Sometimes there is a bit too much ''and now I do this and this and then you do
this and I click my fingers and then..kind of stuff from them.
On the plus side English magician Matthew Wright is coming out with a new dvd.It also may be from RSVP so I hope this post is not too
much of a hijack!

Not at all Markymark this is a free forum where everyone can voice their opinion Smile

You're right Matthew Wright is not only an awesome magician, he's also a top guy!

It will be a great day!

Gary Jones.
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

DVDs/Effects; The Unknown - iCandy - More iCandy 1 & 2 - Dupes - 52 0n 1 Project - 74% Self Working - Flying Tonight - Pocket This - 6 Pack Coins - 6 Pack Cards - Thought Wave - Noted - Duality - Live Lecture Vol 1 - Pseudo Pickpocket - iContact - Shock Twist - Thought of Cards Across Plus - Touched - Colour Diffusion - Look No Hands Wayne Dobson - Automata - Box Pad - No Frills Lecture Notes 1 & 2 - The Ammo - Double Cross - Initial Here - Automata 2 - Black Market - Trick Soup - Automata 3 - Penguin Live Lecture - Upper Hand - Cartoon Capers - At The Table Lecture - Life's a Beach Vol 1 - Life's A Beach Vol 2 - Alas Chris and Jones.
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

I think Gary's straighforward presentations are part of their strength. He comes across as a really likeable guy with few airs and graces. He's someone that anyone can connect to and is very down to earth which makes his powerful magic all the more surprising.

I believe that's why he's been so successful in magic.

I much prefer his approach to Matthew Wright's, who can sometimes be too over the top (and therefore somewhat detached from the spectator).

I guess it boils down to whatever floats your boat.

Gary floats mine (in a magical sense).
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2012-08-15 12:40, Jamie Ferguson wrote:

Agreed. If it has Gary's name on the project, I'm in! (in a magical sense;-)
Lee Smith
View Profile
Elite user
420 Posts

Profile of Lee Smith
It's a shame that no one ever gets to see a performers real personality and presentation shine on a magic DVD as most of the time the enviroment doesn't allow it. And each effect performed is being done for the camera only.

Plus Spectators are rarely themselves when the camera is on which leaves less room for mr magic to feed off them. Most the time they say nothing in fear of messing up for the magician on camera.

Some prefer story type effects and patter others like to go a bit more wild.
I like the scrpited patter type of performance so the laymen can just watch and be entertained.

I do like to feed of the spectators when possible and have fun with them whenever I can which is rarely seen on projects as its always being performed for the camera and for effect only. Watch the guys you see in DVD's on their personal youtube channles, nine times out of ten you will see a different style of performance.

Everyone is different and mine works for me, and it would be false if I ever changed and my audience would notice that.

I have watched Gary perform an effect for the camera and then do the same effect in his live persona and its different to What you see on the project. Also many DVD's would only feature half the routines if the magician was able to go into a full peformance of each routine. A lot of magicians also use the same gags that always work well to get reactions we need from the spectators (we all know what they are) remember you will rarely see these on DVD's either.lol

Here is a clip of Fifth Element from my STEP SYSTEM I was able to go a bit further here and have a bit more fun as the lads had been drinking all day and I didn't even think they knew the camera was there. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8RxqPGL2Nk

Lee.
www.walkaboutmagic.com
www.facebook.com/walkaboutmagic
Effects.
STEP SYSTEM vol 1&2, iCandy, iPhone 10, strike 2.2 and lecture notes. All available on my site.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2012-08-15 13:12, Lee Smith wrote:

Here is a clip of Fifth Element from my STEP SYSTEM I was able to go a bit further here and have a bit more fun as the lads had been drinking all day and I didn't even think they knew the camera was there. lol

Lee, all that clip showed was you using sleight of hand and entertaining a group. It's not quite what were about around here.

Do you have any clips using a self working routine where the audience is confused and couldn't care less?
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-08-15 14:48, Zombie Magic wrote:
Quote:

Lee, all that clip showed was you using sleight of hand and entertaining a group. It's not quite what were about around here.

Do you have any clips using a self working routine where the audience is confused and couldn't care less?

Classic! Smile
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Quote:
On 2012-08-15 14:48, Zombie Magic wrote:
Quote:

:lol:
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Sometimes doing nothing but describing action can be tedious. But not always. And sometimes it's appropriate. I have never been annoyed by Gary or Lee's performances. Quite the opposite! their personalities are great and their magic is strong. Watch their DVDs. Does anyone seriously believe that they have any problems engaging lay people? Not everyone is or should be Eugene Burger.

Sorry guys, but this generality that it's "bad" to use descriptive patter is just ridiculous. Yes, it can be a bad thing to do. But not always. There are no absolutes.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
974 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
It's all about having fun and performing strong magic, if story telling is your thing then do it, if not don't do it. For me to say that the four jacks are four burglars and the pack of cards is a bank just doesn't do it for me lol!

If you don't like our presentations, ADD YOUR OWN PRESENTATIONS ;-)

Just have some fun, they're only tricks!!!

Gary Jones
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

DVDs/Effects; The Unknown - iCandy - More iCandy 1 & 2 - Dupes - 52 0n 1 Project - 74% Self Working - Flying Tonight - Pocket This - 6 Pack Coins - 6 Pack Cards - Thought Wave - Noted - Duality - Live Lecture Vol 1 - Pseudo Pickpocket - iContact - Shock Twist - Thought of Cards Across Plus - Touched - Colour Diffusion - Look No Hands Wayne Dobson - Automata - Box Pad - No Frills Lecture Notes 1 & 2 - The Ammo - Double Cross - Initial Here - Automata 2 - Black Market - Trick Soup - Automata 3 - Penguin Live Lecture - Upper Hand - Cartoon Capers - At The Table Lecture - Life's a Beach Vol 1 - Life's A Beach Vol 2 - Alas Chris and Jones.
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1691 Posts

Profile of Markymark
I never meant to suggest every trick had to have a long,convoluted story but if you are bringing out a book or dvd it adds incredible value
to add some engaging opening lines for example.Good scripts can be fun!
It's all very well getting the usual good reviews from friends and colleagues but a great review from the magic magazines and other websites will help sell more copies.
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
murrari
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of murrari
I think ultimately it comes down to whether your audience enjoys your magic. If they like you and your technique is good, then it doesn't matter whether you go the 'descriptive' or 'storytelling route'.

Gary - your four ace assembly where you tell the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears is a classic - thanks for sharing it with me Smile haha

On a more serious note. I think the reason that performers do not share "engaging opening lines" via books or DVDs is because that's what makes them an individual.
It took me years to finally work out what best suited me when opening at tables, walk-around, stage etc.
There is a temptation to imitate especially when learning from a DVD.
What works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another and we have to prevent being clones of each other with the same moves and patter. I think there's real value in discovering one's own "voice".
Apologies if this sounded like a rant!
Andrew Murray
M.I.M.C. Gold Star
AndrewMurrayMagic

DON'T WAIT FOR INSPIRATION is my brand new e-book with 10 new routines.

APTITUDE is my first PLATINUM e-book with 10 new routines + 'SIGNS' bonus.

PLATINUM MEMBERSHIP is available here.

DNA
gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
974 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
Quote:

Gary - your four ace assembly where you tell the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears is a classic - thanks for sharing it with me Smile haha

No probs Andrew Smile it's great when you have 10/15 tables to do and you keep getting interrupted by the waiting staff and speeches etc and the background music is like a disco, this is where you make it or break it in this profession lol!

I have nothing against story telling, in the right place it can lift certain effects, I prefer visual magic that does not rely on gags or stories, this is due to my working environment!

Horses for courses!

Gary Jones.
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

Paul S Wingham
View Profile
Inner circle
1378 Posts

Profile of Paul S Wingham
I'm excited about this. Always strong and useable magic from gary and lee and typically good value from rsvp.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Totally agree Jamie. Gary is such an awesome performer. iCandy was just fantastic. Gary can charm the public like nobody else [he must really be Irish Smile ]
James

Quote:
On 2012-08-15 12:40, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
I think Gary's straighforward presentations are part of their strength. He comes across as a really likeable guy with few airs and graces. He's someone that anyone can connect to and is very down to earth which makes his powerful magic all the more surprising.

I believe that's why he's been so successful in magic.

I much prefer his approach to Matthew Wright's, who can sometimes be too over the top (and therefore somewhat detached from the spectator).

Still with the Chinese circus Smile
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Ask David Blaine if you need a story to get the magic across. Storytelling can be fun, if it's original, quirky and entertaining, but it's no substitute for strong magic. How many times have we paid for "audience tested" routines, only to receive, "here's the first magic trick I learned... my grandfather showed it to me, blah blah blah" or " the Jacks are detectives, blah blah blah." Much rather purchase some really strong effects, then script them as necessary. Based on what LS and GJ have released so far, strong magic is probably what you'll get with this release.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
TheStoner
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of TheStoner
Only 9 days to go and so far we've had over 40 people lined up to attend, latest being Richard Bellars. If you're in London on 17th September come along and join the fun. Should be a great day of magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Lee Smith/Gary Jones - new DVD project (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL