The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Big Orange Head (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2012-08-19 13:10, ed rhodes wrote:
I don't get it. Now, the slightly deaf genii and the man who ended up with a 12 in. pianist... now THAT one I got.

Neither did I.

Well... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
Quote:
On 2012-08-19 20:23, critter wrote:
Quote:
But, Big Orange Head... wasn't that William Shatner's character on Third Rock From The Sun?

"B-b-b-b-incoming message from the Big Orange Head..."

And depending on just how big it is, he might need a bigger boat (or spaceship). Smile
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Still laughing.
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2041 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
Tonight I laughed so hard at reading a version of this joke, I had to leave the gym. I kept giggling and was afraid I might drop my barbell or possibly lose bladder control. Worth a read if you missed it in the OP.
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1108 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
All those that laughed at this so called 'joke' probably need to start posting in the 'Now that's Funny' section. None of that is funny either.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
This is my favourite joke.

It is a real room splitter though. People either love it or hate it.

It's a bit meta. A joke about jokes. I would've thought if you're familiar with the 10 inch pianist gag and similar this would be more gettable as its almost a parody of those gags.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Still in my jokes to tell friends rotation.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Quote:
On 2013-07-24 04:46, Russell Davidson wrote:
All those that laughed at this so called 'joke' probably need to start posting in the 'Now that's Funny' section. None of that is funny either.

Interesting assumption!

In turn, I could assume you have a terrible sense of humour for not finding this joke funny. I won't though. Quite a few of my friends and family didn't laugh at this at all and they're all fairly intelligent with a GSOH. Quite a few of them thought it hilarious too and they're not daft either. As ever humour is a very individual thing. I still think this joke is awesome, though.
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2041 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
I agree the pianist joke set me up for different expectations for the end of the orange joke. I was waiting for the last wish to be either misheard or misstated. The surprise of the non-joke ending is what tickles. Surprise makes us laugh. Richard Wiseman remarked that joke-tellers love this joke.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Are you sure this isn't just about an encounter with John Boehner? Smile

(It is one of my favorite jokes, though.)
foreva.infiniti
View Profile
Regular user
6 Posts a + a 6 Posts =
116 Posts

Profile of foreva.infiniti
Quote:
On 2013-07-24 04:46, Russell Davidson wrote:

This was the only thing on this thread that made me laugh. I bursted out laughing as a matter of fact. Now I gotta go see those jokes your talking about.

And Sir Ilusi I didn't get it at 1st either but then I realized the joke was an absence of a joke, at least I think. No wonder the telemarketer's boss didn't laugh. He had a sense of humor.
Colors are Foreva. Numbers are Infinite. 4 every number there's a color. HEY! Eternity! Lets smoke a beer and drink some loud. But wait! I heard you was a six a plus a 6 ahhhh.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-07-24 08:12, Mike Ince wrote:
... Richard Wiseman remarked that joke-tellers love this joke.

I believe he's right. I think that's because is a great parody - it's really a joke about a joke. I'd wager that professional entertainers as a group would tend to find it much funner than, say, telemarketers.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
While I agree that in some sense this works as a meta-joke, I think it also stands on its own as a commentary on the human condition.

I don't know about you, but I have wished for and gotten several Big Orange Heads in my lifetime so far...
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
Almost spit out my coffee while reading the joke. Thanks for the chuckle.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2041 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
Quote:
On 2013-07-24 21:20, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-07-24 08:12, Mike Ince wrote:
... Richard Wiseman remarked that joke-tellers love this joke.

I believe he's right. I think that's because is a great parody - it's really a joke about a joke. I'd wager that professional entertainers as a group would tend to find it much funner than, say, telemarketers.

I think we should test it at MINDvention (if attendees haven't already heard it).
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
I tested it at my monthly poker game last night and it failed miserably. To a man they all thought it sucked. As do I. Just my opinion folks (and that of six other poker players).
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2041 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
I will tell it to the next telemarketer I speak with. If they laugh great. If not, that'll teach' em to call me.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-07-26 00:03, Bob1Dog wrote:
I tested it at my monthly poker game last night and it failed miserably. To a man they all thought it sucked. As do I. Just my opinion folks (and that of six other poker players).

As in any joke, a LOT depends on the delivery. Picture Andy Kaufman in his foreign man character telling this one and you'll see what I mean.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
My success rate with the joke is a out 50-50, which is as I recall what was suggested by the author. In general, the group of my friends who like the joke consists of people who are much funnier than the ones who don't like it.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

That's pretty much what I've found with meta-jokes like this. Generally, the "hipper" the audience, the more likely they'll laugh.

But again, the way the punch line is delivered makes a BIG difference.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Big Orange Head (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL