The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » New Wave of Mentalism? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
DekEl
View Profile
Inner circle
Creates MindTricks. Has exactly:
1172 Posts

Profile of DekEl
Quote:
On 2011-08-06 16:55, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-08-06 16:52, magicboymagic wrote:
Its time for z generation to take over and make this more cool Smile

God help us!

Quote:
We all are a spoke in the wheel , the wheel keeps on moving and the spoke has to be replaced when its time is over , the law of life

moreover, tv gigs prefer mentalist or magician who can pull in the young crowd .. criss angel is the best example that comes to my mind .. hot, appealing & great presentation on television .. made magicians all over the world be perceived as more cool

I literally laughed out loud reading these posts (and Bob's response). "hot, appealing" LOL I cannot stop chuckling. I apologize, magicboymagic, if I come across as rude, but with all sincerity, I can say that this is the best laugh I've had all week. Smile
You can purchase my works at: http://www.GetMindTricks.com
Khal
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of Khal
Quote:
On 2002-05-14 12:27, A l a I n B e ll o n wrote:
The stage is dead.

At least for TV. Sorry if I am offending anyone, but I believe that people want to be in contact with the performer these days. People are more skeptical of a stage performance on TV. What gains credibility now are audience reactions.

I am not sure that the "psychic route" is dead though (although it was never implied by Philemon). Psychics are also prominent on TV and go as far as having their own shows and specials.

My constant issue with the state of magic and mentalism is that most performers trivialize it and yet others while aiming to make it meaningful they lose track of the "magic" and make it take second place to a story.

I think no matter what our approach is, be it psychic or psychological (ethical issues not discussed here), an often missed consideration is "magical experience". This type of astonishment can only be created if we make ourselves, and our material, believable. A great deal of performers have taken care of connecting with their audience but at the same time lack on the magical astonishment value. A balance needs to exist.

While our field needs a personal connection with the audience it clearly needs more than that... unless we don't want to be wizards (either magicians or mentalists).

Definately a new wave.

-Alain Bellon

Derren Brown's stage show was shown on TV and was hugely popular.
magicboymagic
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of magicboymagic
Agree with khal .. derren brown is a master mind and amazing showman .. I hope, he comes to the Café for one day to put people like lior & his clones in line ))) lol ..
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Ahem,
magicboymagic, Z generation,
Lior designed effects for Derren Brown's show as did many of his errrrrr, "clones"
Not much more to say about your cred than that eh.
James
ps
I do love that Alain Bellon's statement was as wrong as could be regarding the stage. To quote Baron Frankenstein "IT"S ALIVE, ALIVE"

Quote:
On 2011-08-06 19:07, magicboymagic wrote:
Agree with khal .. derren brown is a master mind and amazing showman .. I hope, he comes to the Café for one day to put people like lior & his clones in line ))) lol ..
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1976 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
The stage is not dead...Derren Brown repeatedly sells out theatres of 2500 people and has a steady run of shows on the West End. I have seen him twice in Ipswich at the Regent theatre. This is a relatively small market town in Suffolk and has a good draw from the surrounding area, but when the theatre is full and he walks on stage, the crowd reaction is quite remarkable. There is a roar of cheers and people stand up before he actually does anything.

Having said that, there are many performers doing great stuff that moves beyond the Brown approach, mixing in different themes, emotions and styles in ways that suggest to me mentalism is doing very well indeed. And stage mentalism as well....my own experience of taking my shows to many theatres in the UK is a fair barometer IMHO...
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
History shows us that art movements, including the mystery arts, are defined not by the establishment but by their avant garde. But that doesn't mean constant and confusing revolution. The impressionists didn't abandon painting, for example. They took skill in what they already knew and used it to explore new directions in painting.
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1976 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
I think Simon Kempner and Dee Christopher are doing some great stuff, and I love the way Anthony Jacquin combines hypnosis and mentalism...
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I think it is simply by the fact that every 20 to 30 years or so, the new "viewing public" changes.

So what was really old becomes new again, albeit in different "clothes".

Just look at music trends.

I do believe Mentalism is poised for a huge comeback especially with all the "innerself" New Age movement (see "The Secret" etc..) being the rage nowadays.

Just my opinion though... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Lior
View Profile
Inner circle
1962 Posts

Profile of Lior
Quote:
On 2011-08-07 07:35, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
I think it is simply by the fact that every 20 to 30 years or so, the new "viewing public" changes.

So what was really old becomes new again, albeit in different "clothes".

Just look at music trends.

I do believe Mentalism is poised for a huge comeback especially with all the "innerself" New Age movement (see "The Secret" etc..) being the rage nowadays.

Just my opinion though... Smile

Intersting view. I agree
Lior
The Lior Touch
https://1amagic.com/
PEA Dave Lederman Award 2009
PEA Dunninger Award 2001
Life Time Achivmeant IUPA 2016
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Quote:
On 2011-08-06 17:00, magicboymagic wrote:
We all are a spoke in the wheel , the wheel keeps on moving and the spoke has to be replaced when its time is over , the law of life Smile

moreover, tv gigs prefer mentalist or magician who can pull in the young crowd .. criss angel is the best example that comes to my mind .. hot, appealing & great presentation on television .. made magicians all over the world be perceived as more cool Smile

Wonderful! Now tell us how we do Cris Angel stuff in a local venue without a TV camera, and a coach load of extras?

Nothing wrong with 'Kool' but but our live audiences won't allow us to cheat so obviously.
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
Paul Shirley
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1206 Posts

Profile of Paul Shirley
Quote:
On 2011-08-07 09:27, Shrubsole wrote:
Quote:
We all are a spoke in the wheel , the wheel keeps on moving and the spoke has to be replaced when its time is over , the law of life Smile

moreover, tv gigs prefer mentalist or magician who can pull in the young crowd .. criss angel is the best example that comes to my mind .. hot, appealing & great presentation on television .. made magicians all over the world be perceived as more cool Smile

Wonderful! Now tell us how we do Cris Angel stuff in a local venue without a TV camera, and a coach load of extras?

Nothing wrong with 'Kool' but but our live audiences won't allow us to cheat so obviously.

Hahahah Smile

Don't forget the eyeliner and nails polish Shrub Smile Gotta wear make up and ripped jeans if you want to be like Criss. Ughh!!
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Quote:
On 2011-08-07 09:32, Paul Shirley wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hahahah Smile

Don't forget the eyeliner and nails polish Shrub Smile Gotta wear make up and ripped jeans if you want to be like Criss. Ughh!!

I only dress like that on weekends I'm not working!

Having said that, a bit of power-eyeliner hasn't hurt Max Maven at all.
Paul Shirley
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1206 Posts

Profile of Paul Shirley
Quote:
On 2011-08-07 10:08, Shrubsole wrote:

I only dress like that on weekends I'm not working!

Having said that, a bit of power-eyeliner hasn't hurt Max Maven at all.

Fair enough... Im not here to judge Smile

And no... Hasn't hurt Mr Maven.... but that's probably because he has real talent.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Another way to say "He has real talent" is "He works his ass off"
James

Quote:
On 2011-08-07 10:20, Paul Shirley wrote:
[

And no... Hasn't hurt Mr Maven.... but that's probably because he has real talent.
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
gmeister
View Profile
Inner circle
1588 Posts

Profile of gmeister
"Those who forget the past are condemned to purchasing it repackaged and at exorbitant prices."

Ah, but the performance of these footnotes to Plato--that's something else for, as Bob Cassidy and others have noted, the play's the thing.

And remember . . . I danced before Napoleon. No, Napoleon danced before me. As a matter of fact, he danced 200 years before me.
magicboymagic
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of magicboymagic
Quote:
Quote:

get on tv instead of complaining like a baby .. whats stopping you ?.. ur limiting beliefs about yourself ???..
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
I just scrubbed a FaceBook thread where some kids (20-30 year olds) were telling me how they were taking “my generation’s” stuff into whole new directions that had never been explored before. I laughed at them (typographically speaking).

Part of the arrogance of youth is the idea that they’re doing something new. Ecclesiastes was written long ago, and still there is nothing new under the sun (not even eye shadow and earrings for guys).

I do enjoy seeing original expressions of the classics, though. Good luck, Generation Zero! (Remember who opened those doors for you Smile )
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Quote:
On 2011-08-07 12:45, magicboymagic wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

moreover, TV gigs prefer mentalist or magician who can pull in the young crowd .. criss angel is the best example that comes to my mind .. hot, appealing & great presentation on television .. made magicians all over the world be perceived as more cool Smile

get on TV instead of complaining like a baby .. whats stopping you ?.. ur limiting beliefs about yourself ???..

What a stupid reply!

We ain't all fame hungry wannabes willing to sell our grandmothers for a spot on TV. and not very well thought out either; there are 1000s of magicians and mentalists just in the UK alone - do you think that every one of those should get a TV spot? How would that work in your world?

We have had enough fame hungry wannabes prostituting themselves on Penn and Teller and giving secrets away to fill a lifetime, we don';t want any more thanks.

Lots of us here perform LIVE and earn our bread a butter doing so and then along comes someone telling people that we should stop doing that and all become **** on TV using camera tricks and extras. Smile

It's quite obvious that you have nothing of any importance to say and seem to be trolling.

Learn the basics and then perform live shows to bring in your income and then come back.
DekEl
View Profile
Inner circle
Creates MindTricks. Has exactly:
1172 Posts

Profile of DekEl
Quote:
On 2011-08-08 01:48, DWRackley wrote:
I just scrubbed a FaceBook thread where some kids (20-30 year olds) were telling me how they were taking “my generation’s” stuff into whole new directions that had never been explored before. I laughed at them (typographically speaking).

Part of the arrogance of youth is the idea that they’re doing something new. Ecclesiastes was written long ago, and still there is nothing new under the sun (not even eye shadow and earrings for guys).

I do enjoy seeing original expressions of the classics, though. Good luck, Generation Zero! (Remember who opened those doors for you Smile )

I've recently been thinking about this, and I agree with you, but I'd just phrase it a little differently. Technically there are new things. Light bulbs, computers, for one, and there can be new methods in mentalism, one of which I'm glad to have created. What it comes down to is that there is nothing new symbolically in human life. In other words, while we may not have had cars a thousand years ago, we had horses. We naturally gravitate towards the same types of things, which in turn spur innovation towards creating better versions of those things. Someone might say that a spaceship is new, but they forget that we've been sailing to other lands since almost the beginning of time, and exploring on foot before that. It's the same basic motives that drive us to create things with the same significance for us.

What the "kids" you were referring to are missing is that yes, there will always be new and innovative ideas to read minds, but they will all just be alternatives to current, and even ancient, methods. Sure, someone may have a pad that let's you tell what someone is writing on paper, without going near them, but an experienced mentalist of the "older generation" could do some of the same effects with pencil reading or a billet. In the eyes of the audience, whoever has more control over the situation, whoever "knows their stuff" so to speak, is the better performer. Not necessarily the one who uses the high tech toys that the audience never even knows about. The view of the audience will never change.

I have a feeling that in 50 years, if mentalism is still around, that the performances will look, to an audience member, exactly the same as today.
You can purchase my works at: http://www.GetMindTricks.com
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3353 Posts

Profile of Looch
Quote:

But what if some idiot crashes the bike and buckles the wheel, breaking all the other spokes in the process?
Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/ Learn Mentalism with the Pro's: https://www.mymind.rocks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » New Wave of Mentalism? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL