The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Carnival Of Secrets - Scryer/Webster (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
SamNJ
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of SamNJ
Richard Webster sums it up nicely with this statement on page 51: "Like all of his effects, the method is simply, but the entertainment value is large."

To that, I say Amen. Neal uses simple "old friends" such as PATEO, m****d decks, Hoy book test, pendulums, etc. and puts them to novel and entertaining uses.
SanCho14jfm
View Profile
Loyal user
New Jersey
244 Posts

Profile of SanCho14jfm
Seriously this book is too good... I think it trumps Black/White and Scryer & Friends. That Coin Bend is out of this world!!!
SamNJ
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of SamNJ
You're right about the Coin Bend. Why spend a coupla hunnert bucks for a CB device when you can use Neal's elegant method. The Carnival book is kind of like the new iPhone5: you gotta have it!
kcalB
View Profile
Special user
Took me 16 years to make
999 Posts

Profile of kcalB
Let us not forget about Barclay's simple but powerful bent coin segment in the John Lennon Seance.

His presentation makes for a very intense moment.

SB
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Former Member of P.E.A.
Creator of The Clearly Q&A Board

Alumni
ECSSI
ECSSII
ECSSIII
ECSSIV
ECSSV
BizarreHauntingsI
Danyel
View Profile
Loyal user
Italy
293 Posts

Profile of Danyel
CARNIVAL OF SECRETS – A REVIEW.

*****The rationale*****

Richard and Neal once again made it, and shortly after that repository of knowledge which ‘Neal Scryer and friends’ has been here they come with another fantastic book, aimed as the Black and White to the psychic entertainers and the readers –and to those mentalists who want to turn towards the psychic side from time to time.

The format of the book remembers somehow of the B&W, its number of pages is similar to that of the White. But there are two distinct features in it which suggest a further deepening in Neal’s direction of collecting material from his enormous experience: namely, the strenghtening of the reading components, one-to-one and for a group, and the participation by several other colleagues of great name to the book.
The result is astounding.

*****Structure and content*****

Like in the B&W books, there is not a very clear distinction based on the effects –e.g.: readings; readings for groups; theoretical essays..- so I will highlight those which are, in the different parts of the book, the best and most innovative contributions.
Remember that the material is twice that I will mention.
And please note one very interesting thing: there are some effects (Paper Balls, Scryer’s Helium Balloon Wish, Scryer’s Haunted Pen, for instance) which I’ll not discuss just because they are not consistent with my personal way of doing things –but whose praises have already been sung by others.

*One-to-one readings*

- May your wish come true
- Scryer’s Carnival reading
are, in my opinion, the best pieces, and the most useful, for giving readings in any situation. Another very interesting piece is

- Affinity card (Mark Garetz)
which suggests some very important subtlety which should be always used.
Along with

- Three objects over the phone
these three pieces are really something which –if realized with the right attitude- screams ‘REAL’.

*Group readings & séances*

- First good kiss, first bad kiss
- Scryer’s easy séance
These two readings are pure Scryer, and their simplicity conceals a great potential. In this category, my preferred scryerian effect is:

- Good or Evil,
which I am already using, and which I find really a great piece of theatre (let alone its intrinsic characteristics, and its strong psychological effect).
Then, we find here also two pieces which could surely have been sold separately, so powerful they are:

- Astral Travel (Richard Webster)
- The John Lennon Séance (W.M. Barclay)
Richard’s AT is –if correctly staged- one of the most powerful experiences a group or even an audience could make. And the elaborate construction by W.M. Barclay is one of the most elegant, and convincing séance things I’ve read. Probably, it’s also one of the richest and deep lessons in studying and building a plot I’ve stumbled in: should I train a mentalist (not a beginner), I would probably use this piece, so well thought-out it is.

*Theoretical essays*

- Playing by ear (Max Maven)
- Michael Weber’s Six golden rules
- Qualities of the best psychic practitioners (Lloyd Auerbach)
The book is enriched by these three brief essays, which fall in the ‘AHA! Experience!’ category.
Maven’s notes are aimed principally at the performer, Auerbach’s piece at the psychic practitioner, and Weber’s rules at both. It’s incredible, I was thinking when I read these pages, how much a great expert can say in little space. Knowledge is a matter of insight, not of room to occupy. And here there are some of the best advices and thoughts I know of.

*****Issues of style and attitude*****

As always with Neal, the presentation and the process of context-setting are the most important thing. I’ve read too many opinions stating that ‘the method is too simple’, which shows how much many of us continue to misunderstand what Wonder is.

As Bob Cassidy often says: ‘a great performer is one who goes onstage and for the first ten minutes talks about everything except mentalism.
This is called: charisma.

A person who manages to do this is a person who *really* has the Powers: even if only that of fascinating people around him, which is one of the greatest powers on earth. The example is Uri Geller –few things done, almost no technique, and fame which goes on unaltered for forty years, due to a gigantic charisma of his own.

The effects, thoughts and attitudes contained herein are of this kind: the mentalism *is the mentalist* -not the DVD, not the gimmick (gimmick? what does that mean?) not even the sleight of hand or misdirection.
Mentalism is *charisma*.
This is the lesson of this golden book. A very precious scroll –for those who have the correct lenses to read it.
'People who lean on logic and philosophy and rational exposition
end by starving the best part of the mind' -William Butler Yeats
vigi
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of vigi
I agree with everything Danyel wrote.

Also, I can't wait to read some more books by Neal Scryer!
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms" - Muriel Rukeyzer
Darrell Mac
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Darrell Mac
Excellent Review Danyel, Very Insightful.

Thank You Sir.
Danyel
View Profile
Loyal user
Italy
293 Posts

Profile of Danyel
Thanks, Darrell. Hope it is clear how much in this text one can find a *range* of great material -that is, about the entire craft, not only about a single aspect. Really, with this book alone -provided s/he has some experience- one could start a career as a psychic entertainer.
'People who lean on logic and philosophy and rational exposition
end by starving the best part of the mind' -William Butler Yeats
Darrell Mac
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Darrell Mac
Thanks again Danyel, Your words bring wisdom.

(nods respectfully)
TimonK
View Profile
Veteran user
Amsterdam
375 Posts

Profile of TimonK
Hello people,

about a week ago I received my copy of "Carnival of Secrets" and to give a little insight and probably help some of you whether to buy it or not, here are my thoughts:

I wasn't sure if I'd really post a review on this one because to me it seems very hard to review; I probably would even say it's a book not to be reviewed - that's why I'll keep it short & sweet.

Carnival of Secrets is, as all of the previous books of Richard & Neil to my mind, made up of three things:

Methods/Effects

Lessons

&

The Real Thing.

The effects are nice, most of the methods effective & simple ( not "too simple" - they flippin' rock, still. ) and each effect is given a very good frame, lifting it up from trick to treat, from sleight to art and from amusement to wonder.

The Lessons are worth gold and I enjoyed & still enjoy reading through the book and realizing certain things that might make me a better mentalist; it is easy to see why Neal is so good.

The Real Thing is what some value very much and many dismiss as no worth trying. I consider myself one of those who value it and have been using pieces from all Scryer books ever since they appeared. It's beautiful to see that there are some out there trying to lift mentalism up to the next level of being real in one of two possible ways: actual psychological skills or - as in this case - stretching out the boundaries between trick & real magic with no fear of possible failure.

The style of the book is very light and it's easy to read; when reading it you can very much hear Richard Webster's style coming through, which I like a lot.

I hope this might have helped you in deciding if this book is for you or not. I for one am eager to see what comes next in this amazing series.

All the best,

Timon
"But overcome space, and all we have left is Here. Overcome time, and all we have left is Now. And in the middle of Here and Now, don't you think that we might see each other once or twice?"
- Richard Bach, 'Jonathan Livingston Seagull'

www.timonkrause.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Carnival Of Secrets - Scryer/Webster (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL