The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Most useful coin sleight (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
Sorry if this topic has been covered but I'd like to know what you consider to be your most useful coin sleight (besides the classic palm)?
tommy ng
View Profile
Veteran user
USA,Oregon
383 Posts

Profile of tommy ng
I use the finger palm a lot. Smile
David Le
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
365 Posts

Profile of David Le
Back clip

And there's also that "pivoting" sleight (I don’t know what its called) where you can shift from back clipping the coin to actually classic palming it.

:)

Anyone know what that "pivot" or "shifting" motion is called? Thanks! Smile
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
1. Retention pass
2. Finger palm
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
1. Tenkai pinch
2. Finger palm
Bernard Sim
MrCyNic
View Profile
Loyal user
England
238 Posts

Profile of MrCyNic
I'd have to say the Shuttle Pass would come pretty high in my list. It's a relatively simple, very deceptive and incredibly versatile sleight.

Cheers,

Cy.
Bong780
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
172 Posts

Profile of Bong780
Retention pass (false transfer)
Finger palm (concealment)
Back clip/Tenkai pinch (back concealment)
Shuttle pass (convincer)
mithrius
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
127 Posts

Profile of mithrius
I'm a big fan of the Gallo pitch, but it's hard to put that in front of the finger palm.
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
Is the Goshman pinch the same as a back clip or Tenkai pinch???
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Yes the Goshman Pinch and Tenkai are the same. The pivot move is simply called a recovery from the back clip.

Kirk
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
I don't think there is really one most useful coin sleight.

That is like asking a mechanic, "What is more useful, a your wrench or screw driver?"

The most useful sleight is whatever sleight best accomplishes your desired effect.
Click to visit:
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

I was always confused by Goshman and Tenkai different names. Ah well, why do you think two names were given to the same move?
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
It is because Bobo's Coin Magic lists the move attributed to Al Goshman, while strangely enough the same move is right in the same area of the book in Ishida Tenkai's "Tenkai Pennies" routine.

Further information regarding what happend can be found In Sol Stone’s DVD “Close Up and Casual” during the explanation of his “Tenkai Quarters” routine.

Here is the background Sol provides on the Tenkai Pinch on the DVD:

Sol states that, Tenkai taught his routine “Tenkai Pennies” (which used the Tenkai Pinch) to Ed Balducci in 1936 who taught the routine to Sol in 1945. Sol then taught the routine to Albert Goshman and Sol showed him the Tenkai Pinch. Bobo saw Al Goshman use it, and attributed it to Goshman in his Modern Coin Magic book, the rest was history.

The actual Tenkai Pinch move I believe was first published in "Six Tricks by Tenkai" I had a date of 1956, though I think there may have been earlier releases of the book.

It is not unlike many moves or routines, often credit is given not only to the inventor (as far as we know Tenkai) but also the one who popularized the effect - in this instance Al Goshman.

I try to use the credit of the originator when possible.
Click to visit:
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4857 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Learn all the standard palms but learn to do them well without thinking about them! Any thinking shows that you are doing something! And it has to look like nothing is going on! You have to be able to do them in your sleep, or while you are talking to people! I have seen some people who work on it for a few days and say "Ok. I have got it down" when they need to put in a few 100 more hours!

For the more hard stuff I use the downs back palm! I think the angles are better than a Tenkai pinch or back clip! But I think it is more work to do it well and that is why a lot of people don't do it!

Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Finger palm, Tenkai pinch, and any retention vanish.
Tyren
View Profile
New user
Seattle,WA
22 Posts

Profile of Tyren
Wow, am I the only one who LIKES the back palm? Smile However the classic palm and finger palm seem to be used the most by effects.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4857 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Hi Tyren,
No your not! ! (See my post) The back palm
is great! See my routine backhanded coins across at http://www.coinvanish.com !

Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
Tyren
View Profile
New user
Seattle,WA
22 Posts

Profile of Tyren
David,
Very well done! Smile I missed the last move the first time. Is that your own method? Or did you get that from somewhere?
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
David's routine is actually posted at The Coinpurse, not http://www.coinvanish.com, though I wrote it up for him. His routine is at this link.

Tyren, if you are asking about my routine which is a video at http://www.coinvanish.com called "Three Way Crossing" - which I am guessing you are since you say you missed something - implying you watched something; the final move is actually a steal of David Roth's from his book.
Click to visit:
Tyren
View Profile
New user
Seattle,WA
22 Posts

Profile of Tyren
Well I figured it out the second time I watched it. But it was well done! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Most useful coin sleight (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL