The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Al Schneider's Zombie (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Reading Al's explanation in his book Al Schneider on Zombie, you understand why his routine looks like the ball is floating/not attache to anything.

On his L&L dvd you can see it and it's my favorite version. I can't get it to look as good as Al, but it's fun to strive for that.

Anyone use his version in their show?
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
If you search the Café's past threads you'll see that I've studied and performed the floating ball incorporating Al's techniques and training for years.

It seems the eBook is no longer available from his site, what a shame.

I also highly recommend Jeb Sherill's two DVD Set, Zombie Reanimated, an encyclopedic compendium for the floating ball.
Magically, Walt
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Thanks for the kind words, Walt. I too am a huge fan of Al's book. He was perhaps the first one to really set down in print the idea of isolating the performer from the ball. It's the kind of concept that seems rather obvious, but so few actually understand it and are able to apply it.

Jeb
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Many years ago, I remember seeing Al perform his Zombie routine close up at a magician's convention. I remember he had a card table and stood behind it...but people came right up to the card table so they were three feet away. It was just amazing how the ball looked like it was floating.

I bought his gold book at that convention. Unfortunately, I lent it to a friend and never got it back. The biggest thing I got from the book was his idea that the performer and the ball should never be moving together at the same time.

Ron
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Ron,

The book could probably have said that, and nothing else, and still been one of the best works ever on Zombie. Smile

Jeb
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
I like the section with Al on world's greatest magic. My favorite move is where he appears to throw the cloth over the ball. He has some good exercises for practice.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2012-08-19 09:44, Ron Reid wrote:
The biggest thing I got from the book was his idea that the performer and the ball should never be moving together at the same time.

Ron, same here. I never thought of it until Al said and it really hit home with me.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
I love learning from books. But if you want to laugh hard and be amazed, get the Al Schneider DVDS or the Worlds Greatest Magic, Zombie DVD and see him do it for the L&L audience.

For an educated guy that claims he isn't funny, he just wrong. Al Schneider is VERY funny on his DVDS.
mentalist.kin
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of mentalist.kin
Well for good performance of Zombie you need a good pantomime.
This was something that I keep in practice for 2 years, to make a routine as good as possible!
The main thing in Zombie routines that the Ball is the main character of the Act and he has his own soul...
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Amen, Mentalist!

BTW, the Al Schneider DVD is not nearly as good a performance/teach-in as the instructions in his book.

Walt
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Walt,

Agreed. The book is much better, oddly enough.

Jeb
thatmatt
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of thatmatt
I haven't had a chance to read Al's book, as I don't intend to perform the routine myself. However, out of curiosity I watched the "Zombie Ball" DVD a few weeks ago at my uncle's magic club. I really liked the teaching session by Jeff McBride. He does a good job taking us a bit deeper into the routine with an in-depth tutorial of the Zombie. The impression I got was that it can look fantastic if performed correctly.
Poindexta
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Poindexta
So is this book available for a reasonable price anywhere? Amazon has one collector copy for $65. Would love love love to get my hands on this, even the e-book would suffice. Any help?
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Maybe PM him? He's a member here! Smile

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/pm_ne......651#menu

Doug
L Trunk
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
207 Posts

Profile of L Trunk
Poindexta: if you take another look on Amazon you should be able to find it new for $20.
I just used the search phrase:
schneider zombie
without quotes and it comes up. Hope that helps.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Yea ago I found the book, I heard it was at the local costume, magic and novelty store handled the sale of his book. It took me some searching, but there are or were 2 magic stores in the Minn. area. So I called both. Finally found the right store and ordered the book.

It is really puzzling why I had to search and find the store, as there were never any advertising by Schneider or the store. Don't know if there are any left, but being they never advertise, they may still have a supply of them. It only cost $25 and postage for this hard bound book. It is a book mostly because of all the theory Schneider talks about in the book, the actual routine only is a few pagers long.

Oh, I used the early Internet (circa 2002), and a device that use to be called a telephone, where you actually talk to human beings on the other end of the line. Yes, the telephone was connected with wires.

It was a real adventure playing Sherlock Holmes.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
The performance sequence section in one of his current incarnation of Al’s Zombie book is a step-by-step, photo illustrated instructional. It is chapter 5 and runs 31 pages.

Chapter 2 of the book covers the props Al takes a different direction with the Zombie prop and explains his thinking and how to make the modifications clearly). This chapter touches on the cloth (again Al has a different approach to cloth selection), clothing, manipulation of the wire (making it fit you), lighting, and holding the cloth. All that in 9 pages.

Chapter 3 is his theory of floatation. This is the chapter of theory that changed Tommy Wonder’s life (Tommy’s words) and ultimately influenced Losander. All compressed in about 3 pages.

Chapter 4 includes his drills of movement based on his theories (4 pages).

He summarizes it up and gives his patter in a couple of pages at the end in Chapter 6.

I am describing the PDF book he used to sell several years ago via his website. I haven’t seen the Amazon book. It seems to be an expanded version. The PDF book is 66 pages and the Amazon book is 154 pages long. Perhaps it is just formatted differently (larger type and photos); perhaps he expanded on each section. $20.00 is not a lot of money for a superior routine.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
As I remember there were 2 hard cover books, one with a white bound cover with gold lettering, and the one I have is gold bound cover with white or black lettering. It is stored in a footlocker, can't easily pull it out.

The best move in the whole routine is the flip covering of the ball while it is suspended in the air. It looks really great when done properly. It does take a lot of work to get it right.

The actual secret of the Floating Ball is the performer, he has to "really believe" the ball is floating, then act accordingly. If the performer does not believe, then no one else will either.
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
883 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
I got my copy of the gold-covered Al Schneider on Zombie from Brad Burt in San Diego ca. 1982.

I had just purchased my Ickle-Pickle Zombie from him (which I'm still using, by the way), and I remember he tossed the book on the counter and said "You'll really be wanting to get this, too".

I never really used it as far as routining, but the isolation exercises alone had a HUGE influence on the way I performed the effect, and I still use those techniques to this day.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2012-08-19 04:35, Jeb Sherrill wrote:
Thanks for the kind words, Walt. I too am a huge fan of Al's book. He was perhaps the first one to really set down in print the idea of isolating the performer from the ball. It's the kind of concept that seems rather obvious, but so few actually understand it and are able to apply it.

Jeb

I read my copy of Zombie, and I found nothing new to me in that book. The isolation moves can all be seen in McBrides stage video and the rest of it was how we taught zombie moves to students 35 years ago. It is, however one of the few books out there that chronicle the moves. The "floatation" theory was common knowledge long before Schneider came along. It is nice to name it and chronicle it the way he did. This is a good book, but no revelations here for the seasoned zombie performer. Like you say, seems obvious butfew understand it.

My favorite zombie man Niel Foster
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOSkcjrOE7I&feature=related
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Al Schneider's Zombie (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL