The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin Bite And The Raven (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
jonnyelworthy
View Profile
New user
Hampshire, England
12 Posts

Profile of jonnyelworthy
Hi, I am about to buy these too scare my mates! (oh, magic rules!) and I was wondering what they are like.
Also, I saw something called the Universal Raven??? I heard it is not to do with coins but I am not sure.
Cheers,
Jonny Smile
eggshell
View Profile
Regular user
Chorley, England
146 Posts

Profile of eggshell
You can use coin bite for "coin in a bottle" also jonny, which is a class trick. Not sure about the Raven... I think if you build up a bit of magic knowledge you could probably make a version of this yourself reasonably easily (it is based on a very old principle.) What does anybody else think?
Dbzkid999
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
407 Posts

Profile of Dbzkid999
I do a Coin Bite then straight to The Raven, ... excellent combination!

Hope that helps!

Adam
Matt Ferro
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
128 Posts

Profile of Matt Ferro
I prefer coin bite because you don't have to wear long sleeves and it is just so impossible, and then the spectators try to bite it and hurt their teeth. … Just my opinion.
Don't practice till you can do it right, Practice till you can't do it wrong...
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

Profile of djvirtualreality
I use the raven once in a while... the hype has really gone down which I think is good after it was exposed on TV. I think the coin bite was also exposed. If you want the raven, go for the deluxe original raven... the reels are pieces. The video gives you MANY ideas for it. It's limitless to your imagination.
Life is an illusion, death is reality.
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
The raven just isn't my style, too much setup for such a short effect. I would much rather just stun people with a pack of cards. Bite out quarter is pretty good though.
Giggip
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Giggip
Yeah I agree. Coin bite is a neat effect but the raven is a lot less impromptu.
jonnyelworthy
View Profile
New user
Hampshire, England
12 Posts

Profile of jonnyelworthy
Does it take a lot of setting up then?
Alikzam
View Profile
Elite user
434 Posts

Profile of Alikzam
Anybody thought about just using a nongimmmiked coin for the coin bite? Smile How about a regular dinner plate. Oh yes, that's been done. I belive it was by Daryl. Cool effect... saw it in a lecture once.
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

Quote:
On 2003-10-22 11:04, jonnyelworthy wrote:

No, not really. Just hook it on and it's done… 1 minute for me.
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
Quote:
On 2003-10-22 11:04, jonnyelworthy wrote:

You need to wear either a long sleeve shirt, or one that has buttons. If you are wearing either of these, you won't have to worry about the setup. You do have to do a little setup at home, but when you are performing there is no setup.
Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
I would rather buy the Bat, modify it a bit and you can use it for much more than the raven, you can use it for vanishes, changes, mentalism effects as moving objects, stopping a spectator’s watch and so on.
And the setup is done beforehand.

As for the Coin bite, it's been exposed a lot, but it still creates a great impact on laymen. Buy it and combine it with some slight of hand and a nice routine and you will have a great trick.
-e-
...As long as i`m not a world-champion at anything, the great reactions of doin` magic will do just fine.....
Mysterious Stranger
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Mysterious Stranger
2 questions:

1. Preference of the bat, the raven, or M5?

2. Biting coin - how many people do a switch so that their audience can examine? I always do, using a palm and pocket but I wonder if there's a better way. Saw Blaine do it on American TV and it was very clean!
Mistro
View Profile
Special user
Canada
577 Posts

Profile of Mistro
Here is my opinion on these two tricks:
Biting Coin is good for street magic,
The Raven is really, really bad.
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
Quote:
1. Preference of the bat, the raven, or M5?

The raven is meant for vanishes, the absolute best vanish. The M5 and Bat are meant for mentalism effects. They can do a vanish but not nearly as good a one.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12020 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Coin Bite: On the DVD Blaine just takes the quarter from the girl and puts that hand behind his back and already has the coin in the other hand. My wife even noticed it. Guess the misdirection came when he pattered about the change of consistency of metals. I know I have a CD Rom version, which shows a side angle, and maybe that is where he looks clean. The three-version DVD is very obvious though.

My 2 cents... Smile
Shawn74
View Profile
Loyal user
New Mexico
211 Posts

Profile of Shawn74
I would have to agree. There is once when Blaine even places the hand with the Folding Quarter under the table and brings the other hand up... very sloppy, but it worked for him.
I always do a shuttle pass with that as well as Cig Thru Quarter and it never seems to draw suspicion.
Thank you
Shawn
Hold your breath...make a wish...count to 3... and you'll be in a world of pure imagination
Willy Wonka
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

Quote:
On 2003-10-25 00:36, Mistro wrote:
The Raven is really, really bad.

I think the raven is great... except the fact that is has been exposed. Smile
joculari
View Profile
New user
Canada
80 Posts

Profile of joculari
I love the coin bite. It's great and I always hand out the coin directly after the effect is done. The audience’s first reaction is to look at and examine the coin and while they do this you pocket it. It always seems to work.

I don't like using the raven, but my friends love seeing me to use it. It's kind of weird , they try and figure it out but they still have no idea.

On a side note, you don't need sleeves to use the raven as someone mentioned.

I also have a question about the M5. My local magic vendor is telling me the M5 is hundred times better than the Raven. He doesn't know much about magic; he just used to work there before it turned from novelty shop to magic shop. So does anyone really think it's worth the buy even after purchasing the raven?
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
I like the raven because it doesn't need any explanation; it's a silent killer. I prefer it to a coin bite, but both are good. I Bobo switch the spectator's coin. It works for me.

By the way, for those of us in the good old E.U., if anyone needs to get a Euro 50c coin bite, I was able to get a pretty nice one. P.M. me and I'll dig up the URL.
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin Bite And The Raven (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL