The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Restaurant Server Groupies (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

Profile of MichaelDouglas
At my weekly restaurant gig, there is a group of servers that hover around me often. The are warm and greet me as I come in and then leave each week. Some also request I show them some tricks. They seem to especially like money tricks. I often notice them watching from a distance as I entertain the tables. I try to block anything that might be angle-sensitive. At some point they will have seen the full complement of my repitoir. I don't like showing the same stuff twice. I am flattered by their acceptance of me, but I also know that some are trying to figure out my secrets.

Please share how you handle magic enthuisiasts who work at your regular gigs?
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
I don't worry at all about the servers watching me. If I find one who really enjoys what I do, I may make them a stooge. This seems to be easier to do when working bars rather than restaurants. I've used servers and bouncers to steal the bottle when doing "bottle thru table" (with the napkins). We time it so that as they walk by the bottle is slid out from the napkins and casually located at the side of my leg. They grab it (the bottle...lol) and keep walking.

But to answer your question, no, what they see or don't see doesn't bother me at all. They rarely will get to see an entire routine. They will comment about the "flower trick" or the "card in your wallet" but they are usually too busy to be able to see an entire routine.

patrick
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
You can also "head 'em off at the pass". When you see them watching intently, say to them (now of later), "One day you might figure these out. I trust you'll be cool so we can keep a good thing going??"
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dimitri Mystery Artist
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel/Ukraine
355 Posts

Profile of Dimitri Mystery Artist
What a perfect opportunity to do a special routine, something that you are not normally do, you can even comment about it,
"i really glad you like what I'm doing, let me show you something special I not normally do here",

or if you want to bring to their conscience that you are also available for private events:
"I will show you routine that I do only at private gigs, sure you will love it"!
who knows, maybe they will book you for their event Smile

Dima
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
If they are obviously watching you involve them in your magic. Keep them at your side and some day they will feel like part of the show and will do anything to make you look good...
-H
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Quote:
On 2012-08-21 13:05, MichaelDouglas wrote:
At my weekly restaurant gig, there is a group of servers that hover around me often. The are warm and greet me as I come in and then leave each week. Some also request I show them some tricks. They seem to especially like money tricks. I often notice them watching from a distance as I entertain the tables. I try to block anything that might be angle-sensitive. At some point they will have seen the full complement of my repitoir. I don't like showing the same stuff twice. I am flattered by their acceptance of me, but I also know that some are trying to figure out my secrets.

Please share how you handle magic enthuisiasts who work at your regular gigs?

I call those type servers "Sam the Fans." I generally tell them (especially if it is a busy night) that I would be happy to show them some magic at a later time when it is not so busy and my shift is over. That way, the manager doesn't think I am a problem because they see their wait staff distracted too much by my magic when they should be working.

If the wait staff starts spending too much time watching you entertain customers and not enough time working, especially when the restaurant is busy, the manager might view you, the magician as a problem and decide to can you. You don't want that!

So, again, I think it's best to tell the servers you would love to show them some magic later on when it is not so busy and your shift is over and hopefully they'll spend more time working rather than watching you. It's also a good way to get the wait staff working without offending them because they want to see some magic too (and they will have that opportunity, later on, when it's not so busy and when your shift is finished) and the manager won't view you as a problem.

I generally make it a point to show the wait staff some magic sometime after my shift or when it's during a slow period. The wait staff loves the magic and you get them on your side and the manager will see that the wait staff likes you and that you get along well with them and you are not a hinderance during busy times when restaurant customers need to be served and tables turned. When you do that, you'll notice the wait staff will talk you up with restaurant customers and will just accept you as part of the atmosphere of the restaurant but won't be distracted by your table hopping performances.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

Great comments everyone. Thank you. I love the idea of trying to involve them. Yes, I generally do show them a little something at the end of my shift. They all are very kind and will point out to me when a table wants to see me or get me if someone wants to give me a tip, etc. I'll try to get creative and figure out how to involve them somehow. Thanks again.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
The bartender at my Saturday night gig just loves me. Usually, most places I've worked, the bartenders are very teritorial and aren't too crazy about Mr. Card Tricks coming behind their bar. However, Dennis always invites me back, talks me up and even does a bit of schtick with me. This past weekend, there was a huge crowd at the bar and I did about 25 minutes there. The crowd was laughing and screaming like crazy. Now, this is a pretty nice place in a tourist town, laughter is common, but nothing like this. They were actually cheering as I finished my set. Later that night near closing, I was sitting at the bar having a drink as I always do and Dennis tell me that one of the servers complained that they were too loud and that people in the dining room might get upset. He told her to shut up because people were having fun and THAT'S what they pay me for!
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2012-08-22 01:05, pepka wrote:
The bartender at my Saturday night gig just loves me. Usually, most places I've worked, the bartenders are very teritorial and aren't too crazy about Mr. Card Tricks coming behind their bar. However, Dennis always invites me back, talks me up and even does a bit of schtick with me. This past weekend, there was a huge crowd at the bar and I did about 25 minutes there. The crowd was laughing and screaming like crazy. Now, this is a pretty nice place in a tourist town, laughter is common, but nothing like this. They were actually cheering as I finished my set. Later that night near closing, I was sitting at the bar having a drink as I always do and Dennis tell me that one of the servers complained that they were too loud and that people in the dining room might get upset. He told her to shut up because people were having fun and THAT'S what they pay me for!

Great story...

Depending on the place I often have a meeting with the servers on my first night and do magic for them - that way they see the act and don't need to watch it anymore and just go on with their job as I do mine.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Bad news here so stop reading if you are averse. Eventually if you work there long enough they will figure out some tricks. Live with it. Make friends with it. Learn to love it because there is almost no way to get by it. Odds are they want to maybe know one.

They know it is not magic. But we guard the secrets of how we do what we do so intently we can lose focus. Why are they curious? How can you spin that curiosity into help? Once they are in on it they are happy. The mechanics of what we do is of little importance in reality.

Remember we get paid for our skills with people, not our skills with objects. Just transpose that to the staff. You must be doing something right or they just wouldn't care now would they?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
themagicguy
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
280 Posts

Profile of themagicguy
Quote:
On 2012-08-22 21:17, Dannydoyle wrote:
Bad news here so stop reading if you are averse. Eventually if you work there long enough they will figure out some tricks. Live with it. Make friends with it. Learn to love it because there is almost no way to get by it. Odds are they want to maybe know one.

They know it is not magic. But we guard the secrets of how we do what we do so intently we can lose focus. Why are they curious? How can you spin that curiosity into help? Once they are in on it they are happy. The mechanics of what we do is of little importance in reality.

Remember we get paid for our skills with people, not our skills with objects. Just transpose that to the staff. You must be doing something right or they just wouldn't care now would they?

Well said Danny. If they know how your tricks are done and still follow you, you know you're on the right track.
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Also, with some of the more tenured servers.....if they are familiar with your routines, they might know when NOT to approach the table for a coffee refill. If they know the trick is just about at climax stage.....they might have the sense to hold off a bit. just a thought.
as I said, I never worry about what they see or don't see. but will try to use them if I can. especially for information about the people at the table.

patrick
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have had them load duplicate cards in ourses, on chairs and so forth. The possibilities are endless. It really does not have to be a negative.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2012-08-23 02:12, patrick flanagan wrote:
Also, with some of the more tenured servers.....if they are familiar with your routines, they might know when NOT to approach the table for a coffee refill. If they know the trick is just about at climax stage.....they might have the sense to hold off a bit. just a thought.
as I said, I never worry about what they see or don't see. but will try to use them if I can. especially for information about the people at the table.

patrick

I agree - performing in restaurants there can be interuptions...

And I am of the opinion we are paid for our people skills and our skill of manipulating objects. As I am of the opinion that there is no subsitute for "skill" in the craft.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

You guys are so right. I'll just not obsess about guarding our secrets from the staff, and I'll continue to show them a thing or two as time permits. Including them into the act will take some time but I'll figure it out.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2012-08-23 09:59, bishthemagish wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-08-23 02:12, patrick flanagan wrote:

patrick

I agree - performing in restaurants there can be interuptions...

And I am of the opinion we are paid for our people skills and our skill of manipulating objects. As I am of the opinion that there is no subsitute for "skill" in the craft.

A COMPLETE misunderstanding of what I wrote. But I am sure most got it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2012-08-23 09:47, Dannydoyle wrote:
I have had them load duplicate cards in ourses, on chairs and so forth. The possibilities are endless. It really does not have to be a negative.

I get this as "why fight the tide when you can use it to your advantage". What a smart way to work!
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Oh sure, I bring up the idea of using servers and staff as stooges.....and friggin' Danny gets all the credit.....HAHAHA

you know I'm just joking here.

patrick
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Oh definitely yes. Why paddle upstream when it is so much more effective to go downstream?

The movie Blade or one of them had a line which sums it up. "Some guys always trying to ice skate uphill". He used another 4 syllable word in place of guys.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2012-08-23 18:58, Dannydoyle wrote:
A COMPLETE misunderstanding of what I wrote. But I am sure most got it.

Ah - trying to start another argument?

And if I may add I would never ask a server to load cards and become part of "my" act. Because doing magic "is not there job". In places where I work I don't get people silverware, more water, bring food or anything else a server would do. If one has a "good" close up act I really don't see the need in using servers to load a table with whatever.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Restaurant Server Groupies (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL