The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Restaurant Server Groupies (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
[quote]On 2012-08-27 19:42, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-08-27 19:03, bishthemagish wrote:
. . . they have to admire the skill it takes for the magician to pull it off.

Quote:
On 2012-08-27 19:42, S2000magician wrote:
Why must they admire the magician's skill when the magician blows it?

Since it appears that you don't understand I shall try to explain it to you. And since you picked out this one line "out of context" as it appears you did before - well here goes.

As in this thread the servers will sometimes watch the show from the side and see things. Just because they the servers (or anyone really) watches from the side and catches a flash while I do the cups and balls. In my opinion they will still admire the magicians skill for pulling it off - night after night and table after table for the guests in the restaurant.

And what skill do they admire as they (the server) load a card under something for the magician?
Quote:
On 2012-08-27 20:23, Doc Eason wrote:
Boy! now I remember why I don't hang out here. cya

Yes I agree. Cya!
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2012-08-27 19:35, Dannydoyle wrote:
If the server loads the card, they still can't force a card to do the trick. They can't control the card to the top and they can't palm it off. By your own logic, this passes the test.

No it doesn't because one could just palm the card and load it under a drink or an ash tray and not need the server.

Quote:
On 2012-08-27 19:35, Dannydoyle wrote:
But nobody is telling you that you must do this. Just that it is one way to do things.

And I already posted my opinion and I can see that in my opinion it is being disrespected (and myself again) instead of just answering my questions. My posts are taken out of context and instead of exploring this it seems that they would just rather say things like - "it is just another way of doing things".

Well fine - you do things your way and I will do them my way and we won't talk magic again.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2012-08-27 22:17, Dannydoyle wrote:
The live DVD from the Tower is one of the most entertaining you can watch in all of magic.

One of my favorites. There are so many performing lessons on it.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2012-08-27 22:25, General_Magician wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-08-27 22:17, Dannydoyle wrote:
The live DVD from the Tower is one of the most entertaining you can watch in all of magic.

Where can you get that DVD (boy I must sound like a sucker for a magic dealer salesman the way I am talking)? Who does it have on it?

It is a live-ish performance of Doc at his very best behind the bar in Snowmass. An amazing performance and as live as you can get.

To capture the essence of live performance is almost impossible. They get VERY close to capturing the feeling in that room that Doc created. Brilliant is an under statement.

No explinations. But an amazing performance DVD. I bet Doc can sell you one.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Countage
View Profile
Veteran user
Charlotte
361 Posts

Profile of Countage
In my experience server turn over is very high in most restaurants. Even if they figure out every trick you do I does not matter. The staff will be different after a few months. I have also found that the ones that become wise to our methods usually do not try to expose the secrets especially to the guests. Most will forget after time anyway. Many people remember the masked magician but could not tell one trick he revealed.
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2012-08-27 23:24, Countage wrote:
In my experience server turn over is very high in most restaurants. Even if they figure out every trick you do I does not matter. The staff will be different after a few months. I have also found that the ones that become wise to our methods usually do not try to expose the secrets especially to the guests. Most will forget after time anyway. Many people remember the masked magician but could not tell one trick he revealed.

Thanks for bringing this thread back on topic...
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2012-08-27 23:24, Countage wrote:
In my experience server turn over is very high in most restaurants.

Not in high end places. They pay house mortgages with what they make. College towns/chain restaurants, yes, they have a very high turnover.

For others, Danny Doyle never went off topic.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-08-27 22:32, bishthemagish wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
On 2012-08-27 19:03, bishthemagish wrote:
. . . they have to admire the skill it takes for the magician to pull it off.

Since it appears that you don't understand I shall try to explain it to you.

There you go, being condescending again.

I do understand. You're simply wrong.

Quote:
And since you picked out this one line "out of context" as it appears you did before . . . .

I didn't pick it out of context.

Quote:
And what skill do they admire as they (the server) load a card under something for the magician?

Cleverness.
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Here is what you wrote.

Why must they admire the magician's skill when the magician blows it?[/quote]

Here is what I wrote...
Quote:
On 2012-08-27 22:32, bishthemagish wrote:Since it appears that you don't understand I shall try to explain it to you. And since you picked out this one line "out of context" as it appears you did before - well here goes.

As in this thread the servers will sometimes watch the show from the side and see things. Just because they the servers (or anyone really) watches from the side and catches a flash while I do the cups and balls. In my opinion they will still admire the magicians skill for pulling it off - night after night and table after table for the guests in the restaurant.

There you go, being condescending again.

I do understand. You're simply wrong.

Quote:

Cleverness.

Cleverness and your answer that I am simply wrong is your opinion.

How come no one seems to want to answer these questions - Now my question is could it damage the rep of a magician if they used servers to load stuff for them in a non magic restaurant? What would an owner, other servers or the lay audience think of this?

Because I feel that word would get around to the other servers and other employees of the restaurant..

I suppose they will continue to pick things apart and take it out of context instead of having a conversation.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
They would know magic isn't real. Not much damage there. They would know they are contributing to the experience of the guest. Again not much damage. They would know it is about the guest and not about a self important performer.

Yelp indeed it would get around. How does it damage a repartition if that happens. Nobody says do it on every effect.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Countage
View Profile
Veteran user
Charlotte
361 Posts

Profile of Countage
I know some guys in high end places. They are the one that would go up to the table in the middle of my act with a twenty and say, "This is from the other table they really enjoyed your show". The bottom line is I don't think that any of the staff will try to ruin the customers' experience because they figured out the tricks. The more enjoyment they get the more money overall for everyone in the restaurant.
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:

When I wrote this…
Quote:

It appears you wrote this as your answer…

Quote:

Then this line was it appears answered by this below.
Quote:
You're simply wrong. Cleverness.

Now I don’t want to make this a right or wrong thing but I think the answers above to my questions could be a bit of a contradiction.

I remember working at a place for years and the owner said to me - that he enjoyed watching from the side and he could see a few things - and was amazed at how I could pull off things like my cups and balls - night after night.

So in my opinion I would call that “blowing it”.

My point - the guests were mystified and entertained and from the owners point of view I was doing my job.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2012-08-28 08:48, Dannydoyle wrote:
They would know magic isn't real. Not much damage there. They would know they are contributing to the experience of the guest. Again not much damage. They would know it is about the guest and not about a self important performer.

Yelp indeed it would get around. How does it damage a repartition if that happens. Nobody says do it on every effect.

On this I agree - and if I may add to this no one is saying do it every night... I can see it as a once and a while thing.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
Quote:
On 2012-08-28 09:47, bishthemagish wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-08-28 08:48, Dannydoyle wrote:

On this I agree - and if I may add to this no one is saying do it every night... I can see it as a once and a while thing.

well it appears we have achieved agreement.....group hug!!! It is a once in a while thing. No one suggested it would be for every table or that a server would be following the magician around waiting for his cue. I use a staff member as a stooge in two routines. The last time I performed either one of those routines was about 2 years ago.

Glenn, to answer your question. The staff (that I know) has never thought less of me because I've used them in a trick. They would sometimes ask me (excitedly) if WE were going to do the trick tonight. It's all in fun. They appreciate that I trust them enough to have them help me. They've told me this. And again it is used very sparingly.
patrick
Doc Eason
View Profile
V.I.P.
Aspen Colorado
429 Posts

Profile of Doc Eason
Well, ..............

ok .....................

now that that is cleared up...

You can come out of your rooms now.

As for the rest of us.. it seems like it is safe ...

where WERE we... ?

what's next on the agenda

sheesh
Doc Eason’s Rocky Mountain Magic

PO Box 50 / Basalt CO 81621

doc@doceason.com

http://doceason.com

http://doceasonmagicshop.com
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
Hey Doc!!
My daughter told me the other day, "Doc is coming to the Castle soon". She's looking forward to seeing your show again!
And thanks, again, for treating her so well.

Hmmm, next on the agenda? I could use a few good tips for cooking salmon.

patrick
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2012-08-28 15:30, Doc Eason wrote:
Well, ..............

ok .....................

now that that is cleared up...

You can come out of your rooms now.

As for the rest of us.. it seems like it is safe ...

where WERE we... ?

what's next on the agenda

sheesh

I was praising your DVD from the Tower.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
I like to sauté salmon in olive oil with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powders and New Mexico chile powder. Saute one side until browned, turn over to other side and turn off the heat. The residual heat will finish cooking the salmon and it will never be dry.

Another good way is to bake it with lemon juice, butter, dill, salt and pepper.

I don't much care for it poached...
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Restaurant Server Groupies (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL