The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » All thoughts welcome (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
The White Wizard
View Profile
Regular user
Australia, Queensland
148 Posts

Profile of The White Wizard
Being pretty new to the Café I would like to ask your thoughts on my new reading show backdrop designed by Scott at Look Create. This is for a reading show starting January 2014 (yes I plan that far ahead.) The ideas were a result of seeing backdrops of others reading shows - so you could call it inspiration (from Joe R and Ken S)

Can you spot all of the book references? Some are easy, some more obscure. There are approx 25 to find
The White Wizard
View Profile
Regular user
Australia, Queensland
148 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-08-21 06:15, Entertainer artist wrote:
Here is a new backdrop design that I have just completed for http://www.stephenschoolshow.com.au (The White Wizard above)

Can you spot all of the book references? Some are easy, some more obscure. There are approx 25 to find

Majake314
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
245 Posts

Profile of Majake314
I have only found 22. Better keep looking
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I hope you don't mention that puzzle prior to the show.

It would be like having a Where's Waldo Poster behind you during the show. You could end up with people leaning to see around you. LOL

Just trying to be funny, I'm sure you have a great show. But even without telling them how many to look for there will be people who notice all the references and start counting so it could be distracting.

It certainly is colorful, cheerful and professional looking.

-Mary Mowder
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
Only 99% of users have more than
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
Quote:
On 2012-08-21 21:06, The White Wizard wrote:

Here is a new backdrop design that I have just completed for http://www.stephenschoolshow.com.au (The White Wizard above)

It looks GREAT. I really want to see your cool web site too. However, when I click the link it is dead.

Would you link to the web site again so we can see?

That picture is very professional and great.
Click for Free Resources for Performers

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
White Wizard,
Great design, but I would never use it as a backdrop. It's too distracting and busy. (Also, be careful with those trademarks!)

Best wishes,
Kevin
Majake314
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
245 Posts

Profile of Majake314
I reckon it's cool! the kids will get over after 2 minutes, then it will just be a backdrop. Good for photos!!!!!
The only one that might have a trademark problem is the batman one (top right). Everything else is a more cartoony version of the original.
The White Wizard
View Profile
Regular user
Australia, Queensland
148 Posts

Hi Curtguns - yes the website is curently being made and will not be active until January - that is when the shows are being booked Smile
Yes Kevin and Mary I agree it is busy and will be having a rather blandish world map in front while the show is running. Kids will see it complete when the show is done and can try to identify books while waiting to be dismissed. I will see how it goes.

Hey Jake - have spoken in weeks:) yes children will only be seeing the whole thing after the show is complete. The school Library will have a coulouring in of my backdrop and logo
to hand to student s who borrow books for the week. Smile
Entertainer artist
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of Entertainer artist
What have people found so far? I wonder what is the hardest to spot?
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Glad you got some good ideas. I love backdrops and have been using them for many years in my schools. Distraction? Yes can be yours is a little busy BUT in schools the backdrop can be apart of the show. for me the show starts the moment the kids sit down and have to wait on the others to arrive. So what do they do they look at the backdrop and see fun things and notice things. I cannot tell you how many times I get comments from the schools talking about my backdrops. Do go for it.

Ken
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
Looks like a fun design that the kids will be sure to enjoy. Go for it!
Life of Magic!
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1779 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
Have you heard of an iPhone / iPad game called 'say what you see'? It's basically twenty or so pictures like yours, all themed to a certain subject. I think you'll like it.

Anyway, I love the backdrop and think it will make your show any better. My advise is to keep it up during the entire show. Yes, it may be a little distracting, but that's a good thing. Were on stage for 1 or 2 hours, kids eyes like to wonder. I would rather keep their eyes focused on me, or my backdrop and not something else. It keeps the audience looking in your general direction. I also think it looks fun and that's important.

Steve
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2120 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
That looks awesome! I'd love to decorate an actual room like that! I think I found all 25, assuming that there are repeats of story items. Let's see....
Peter Pan (twice)
Snow White (twice)
The Mousetrap
Dracula
Batman
Spiderman
Iron-man
The Spiderwick chronicles
Harry Potter (twice)
The lightning thief
Green Lantern
The cat in the hat
Alladin
the frog prince
Beauty & the beast
Cinderella
Robin hood
Jack & the beanstalk
Frankenweenie
Little red riding hood
The 3 little pigs
The city of Amber
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8694 Posts

Profile of harris
On site marketing...I can dig it. (theme for our regional 2013 Library shows)

I hope you "hook" lots of interest and "book" many programs. Your backdrop is "precious".

Do you use a chair similar to the one pictured. At some libraries they have a reading chair, that I use as part of my program.

Aside: In my office at the high school, I have a wonderful comfy rocker. Students and staff of all ages, seem to be drawn to it.

happy reading

Harris
on his reading table "The Book Thief", by Zusak
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Entertainer artist
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Hello Mighty Fool

Peter Pan (twice) Tick
Snow White (twice) Tick
The Mousetrap Cross
Dracula Tick
Batman Tick
Spiderman Tick
Iron-man Tick
The Spiderwick chronicles Cross (What did you think was that?)
Harry Potter (twice) Tick
The lightning thief Cross
Green Lantern Tick
The cat in the hat Tick
Alladin Tick
the frog prince Tick
Beauty & the beast Tick
Cinderella Tick
Robin hood Tick
Jack & the beanstalk Tick
Frankenweenie Tick
Little red riding hood Tick
The 3 little pigs Tick
The city of Amber Cross

You got most of them
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2120 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
I thought the ring amulet hanging on the hat rack was that thing they look through in order to see the magical creatures in the SWC.

So, I cant figure out the lighning bolt or the 2 bolts by the left picture, or the chees by the mousehole (if that's anything) or the hanging amulet.

Oh, waitaminnut....Alladin is TWICE! (the carpet and the lamp!)

And I suppose the little UFO's in the dracula picture are something, and mabye the chair itself....
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Entertainer artist
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Yes there are two Aladdin features.
The White Wizard
View Profile
Regular user
Australia, Queensland
148 Posts

Hi Ken - thank you for the input and keep the inspiration flowing. Leland I honestly believe so too. Harris I am a sucker for puns - your post gave me a great chuckle Smile.
Yo mighty Fool most of your spots were correct - however The Mousetrap, The lightning thief and The city of Amber are the only incorrect one - good work Smile

Question - what would you do with this background?
a) Have students search for book titles while all students arrive for the show?
b) Leave the search for the end just before dismissal?
c) Both before and after?
Majake314
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
245 Posts

Profile of Majake314
I probably wouldn't even mention it at the show. Too much distraction I believe.

If you are putting a black and white version of this on your colouring page that would be great and you could mention the challenge there.
The kids will recognize the image from your backdrop and then have fun colouring and searching for book titles.
GREAT BACKDROP!!!!!
Joseph_Then
View Profile
Special user
744 Posts

Profile of Joseph_Then
The backdrop looks great. And I do agree with some of them that it can be a little too distracting to your show. But depending on your purpose, this could be a very good design.

My only comment is: Move your website address to the top. That's advertising for you and not many people will see your website address when you stand in front of the design.
-----

Joseph Then

Singapore Ventriloquist
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » All thoughts welcome (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL