The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Need some advice - Got stage slot at a Festival - What do I do? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
I got a short notice festival gig for this weekend. It's a big festival and they are happy to have me come and do my thing. They also have offered me a 30 minute stage slot. Now I don't have to fill the entire 30 minutes, I can take just part of it if I want.

What I need help with is deciding what to do with the Stage time. Do I do my Street show on the stage and then all weekend at the festival? Do I do part of my show? Do I do an effect that isn't currently part of my show, like the Linking Rings? The stage will be in the Children's section and I don't think I would be hatting them from the stage, but it would be a good opportunity to advertise my show at the festival and tell people to come watch me.

I need Suggestions and Comments!
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
If you havn't prepared a stage show now, turn it down. Just do your street show and forget the stage
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
Another option is to do different effects that play well for parlor, that are not part of your street show. Silk magic done to music, Jeff Hobson’s balloon bag, and a cut and restored rope, can easily be done in 30 mins or less. (those happen to be 3 key effects in my kid shows).

Stage does not always have to be illusions. Jeff Hobson does an entire Vegas act with parlor style magic. However he happens to be one of the funniest guys I have ever met.

The key here, is don’t try to do a stage illusion show, if you have never done one, stick with your tried and true routines, and make sure the routines you use are going to be fun and entertaining.

Don’t wing it, or try an effect for the first time at this event. And don’t do the same effects as your street show.

If you don’t think you have enough polished material without repeating material from your street act, then do what paddy says, pass on the offer.
Making Magic and Fantasy a reality in a world where our reality can sometimes be rather cruel

Http://www.lukamagic.com -That's Me

Http://www.deceptionsmke -My Show
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

I think I may have not explained properly. Basically the spot is open and the organizer was wondering if I could do something and they could introduce me and make sure people knew that I was there.

I was thinking of doing the Chinese Linking Rings that I took out of my Street Show. I have plenty of practice and they would be visible from the stage. He also said I don't need to actually fill the slot, but it was an opportunity if I wanted it.

And if it was a request for an actual stage show, I would of course turn it down because I don't have one ready but the way it was put to me a single effect would be good.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
OK I misunderstood
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Shaun,
I'd suggest that if the idea is to advertise your show, that your idea of doing part of your show, as a sort of preview, is a good one. Then your audience will know you when they find you on the street and you'll deliver what you've advertised, which is what they'll be expecting. If they like your stuff in the first place, they'll enjoy seeing it repeated in a different location, at a different time, with a different crowd. It gives them perspective on what you do. That's my opinion, anyway. All the best! Smile
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

Thank you magicalaurie. I have been torn. Do I do a bit of my show, like a movie trailer? I have also been asking myself why would I get up on stage to advertise my show and then do material I cut from the show because it didn't get the reactions I wanted?

My show currently is 1. Silk Vanish, Sponge Ball Routine, ID, Rope Routine, phone in balloon, C&B. The first two combine into a build. The other 4 are the show. It creates a rhythm of quick and visual countered with story, jokes, audience interaction, and audience investment. If I go with your advice, I will do a silk vanish as I start off advertising myself, and then do my rope routine. It is big enough and bright enough to be seen, and it isn't my finale but is good material none the less.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Need some advice - Got stage slot at a Festival - What do I do? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL