The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Karl Fulves Effects (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Quote:
On 2014-02-20 21:17, Hushai wrote:
But, the presentation should EMPHASIZE the math, and claim that there are little-known
mathematical connections between the cards, even in a shuffled deck, that enable the initiated to predict a card in one group just from an examination of the apparently unrelated cards in the other group. In this trick the rigamarole of a math-based trick should be played UP, not down. It will drive anyone who thinks you're somehow really doing what you say crazy.

I am coming around on this point, yes. Likewise with Miraskil in its many variations. The latter is so very simple in it's working it really shouldn't be such a baffler. But the there are so many variations--some much more impressive than the versions given in Fulves and Scarne. These are reminiscent of OOTW, which decades later still is pleaser even though you and I know the secret is so simple.

Les
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Quote:
On 2013-12-15 11:44, Rogerbest wrote:
Whispering Joker...beautiful self-working trick.

Do you not find the contrived "shuffle" a bit hackneyed and unmagical?
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Quote:
On 2013-12-14 23:15, ummer21 wrote:
The Aces trick where their card ends up between the Ace of spades and clubs. So simple

Quick as a Wink, as mentioned earlier. The finish requires a little skill to make it look magical, but it is a pretty trick when pulled off. It is the simplest of key card locations, but the magical is in giving the spec plenty of power in choosing his card and doing just enough shuffling to leave an impression on him but not so much as to hinder locating the card. I get nice results out of it for something really so simple.

Les
RogerTheShrubber
View Profile
Veteran user
302 Posts

Profile of RogerTheShrubber
I used to work as a civilian contractor for a police department back when CSI was the most popular show on the planet and my favorite trick to perform (actually, the only one I performed consistently, as at the time I had all but given up magic) for kids was trick #25 in Karl Fulves "Self-Working Close-Up Card Magic." I presented it from a CSI aspect, telling the kids that I learned this procedure in the department's forensics lab, using the "clues" as "forensic evidence." The trick is nothing but a swindle (Fulves himself admits this), but the presentation went over really well every time I used it and nobody ever caught on to the swindle.

On edit: I forgot to onclude the name of the trick, which is "A Card Is Found."
David Martin
View Profile
Regular user
East Lyme, CT
118 Posts

Profile of David Martin
I'm really a big fan of a Mike Roger's creation called "Silver Trap" in Foolproof Card Tricks by Karl Fulves (or more specifically New Self Working Card Tricks that was reprinted in that book).

It's the same concept as "Quick as a Wink" but with borrowed coins. I've used it for years and it never fails to get a great reaction. I often use it as a seugeway into some coin magic.

David
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Quote:
On Nov 25, 2012, Hushai wrote:
Does anyone know "Voodoo Clue," from "My Best Self-Working Card Tricks"? It is the cleverest, least obvious use of the Automatic Placement I have ever seen.

Simon Aronson's Breathing Spell (from Try the Impossible) uses the exact same principle in a spelling effect. Aronson's Self Control from The Aronson Approach is very similar. I really think Voodoo Clue or the Aronson effects mentioned deserve to be studied so as to understand what actually goes on. I didn't like Voodoo Clue at first, considering it obviously too mathematical. However, on can vary the parameters of the effect so as to provide good cover and more mystery. For muggles I think a speller is a really good way to mask counting, which is often a bit boring.
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Quote:
On Feb 20, 2014, lcwright1964 wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-12-15 11:44, Rogerbest wrote:
Whispering Joker...beautiful self-working trick.

Do you not find the contrived "shuffle" a bit hackneyed and unmagical?

I take this back. The reverse Faro does seem to baffle lay people, and is used to great effect here, in Fulves's Oracle, in Bannon's Beyond Fabulous, and Aronson's Euph-oracle and Alternate Take (from Try the Impossible).
brandontoh
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of brandontoh
Gemini Twins! It is the only self-worker that I perform constantly because of how strong it is.
mbwambwa
View Profile
New user
I've never posted anything, so how come I have
61 Posts

Profile of mbwambwa
I've had quite a bit of luck finding some of Fulve's work at my local library. I discovered 793.8 about 30 years ago and still enjoy looking through that section to this day.
galerius
View Profile
Loyal user
Piemontese Alps ( Northwestern Italy )
238 Posts

Profile of galerius
"The Haunted Name" - from Self-Working Card Tricks - is an effect I like to perform.
M_Theory_Magic
View Profile
New user
New York, NY
5 Posts

Profile of M_Theory_Magic
In self working mental magic:

"Remote viewing" is a killer trick. It is followed by ultate match and double stop and

"Teleportation" in the chapter Mind over matter is pretty great too.
marc_carrion
View Profile
Special user
584 Posts

Profile of marc_carrion
I do "Calculated Cut" (from My Best Self-Working Card Tricks), but with some changes to make it look less like a counting trick.
RogerTheShrubber
View Profile
Veteran user
302 Posts

Quote:
On Jan 15, 2016, marc_carrion wrote:
I do "Calculated Cut" (from My Best Self-Working Card Tricks), but with some changes to make it look less like a counting trick.

I like that trick too. Would you be open to a short PM discussion? I'd be interested in learning about the changes you made.
ageo
View Profile
New user
Bogota, Colombia
69 Posts

Profile of ageo
Does anyone know how to contact Karl Fulves? Any email addresses available?
Thanks in advance.
Sixten
View Profile
Inner circle
Floral Park, NY, U.S.A.
4264 Posts

Profile of Sixten
Mr. Fulves, as I, recently, (tried for a week, to no avail) found out, is a very private individual.

As a suggestion, try:
Mr. Karl Fulves
Private residence
Fair Lawn, New Jersey 07410
U.S.A.
(The mail-carrier knows where he lives!)

Good luck!
Sixten
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
His long-established address for magic correspondence:

Karl Fulves
P.O. Box 433
Teaneck, NJ 07666

Important: Enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope if you want him to write back.
RogerTheShrubber
View Profile
Veteran user
302 Posts

A recent discussion I've been having in the thread on My Best Self-Working Card Tricks (the thread was started by Topov) made me dust off my copy and flip through it again. The only trick I consistently use from that book is Calculated Cut, but I was reminded of another I once used with great success: Psi-X. I'm practicing it now to make sure I can still do it with natural speed. I got a tremendous reaction from that one and can't believe I had forgotten it until looking at the book again.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Karl Fulves Effects (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL