The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Rice's Palmo (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Before I left for Abbott's 75th, I ordered a Rice's Palmo from their Website.

The Palmo just came in the mail, and I was surprised to find that it was NOT made from brass, but rather, from Aluminum.

I'm not complaining, I'm just a bit suprised since I read here that they were made from brass....it's a nice gimmick....a tad smaller than the one that Duane Laflin sells.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Originally made from brass...that's true, but it's been a while...a long while !

I bought my first Palmolive from Rice over 30 years ago...and it was aluminum even back then!

Not to worry, It functions perfectly well...forever!
Regards-
JNeal
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Bob Gerdes
View Profile
Loyal user
Northport, NY
237 Posts

Profile of Bob Gerdes
According to the website, the Palmo is made of brass:
http://www.silkkingmagic.com/Rice's%20Palmo.htm

Rainboguy, when you say "their website" are you referring to Silk King Studios or Abbotts?
Eschew obfuscation
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
I was referring to Silk King Studio's website......and Ruth was quick to acknowledge my order and was very nice and gave great customer service.

Anyway the Rice's Palmo FEELS good in my hands so that's a good thing...which will help, I hope, with "moveless" moves.....

So now, with three Palmos, two sets of Billy McComb's Half-Died Hank Gimmicks, a couple of nice dye tubes from Roger Klause and Johnson and an Abbott's Duke's Dye Version "Secret Thingie"....

I'm almost there...

<smile>
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Well then you have to get General Grant very nice brass rolled edge Tape Dye Tube, and the 2 Morrissey Dye Tubes rolled ends and straight end.

You can contact General Grant a ggmagic@aol.com for his price list and mailing instructions. I got a set of 2 a month ago, and they are superior in workmanship and are hefty as well.

I will have to note his wife just passed away as mentioned in "Did you hear the latest" topic, so he may not respond at once as he normally does.

Morrissey Magic is http://www.morrisseymagic.com look under Morrissey Products heading.

I think then your collection will be more complete as to what is available.

I must note: I believe Roger Klause is not longer with us, and Johnson Products no longer make Dye Tubes.

In defense of Harold Rice's daughter, she is carrying on the Rice product line, and selling the remaining stock her father had on hand at the time of his death. She is not a magician or magic enthusiast, but is very helpful person and does the best she can with the materials she has on hand. She publishes the material she has as it was originally stated by her father. Good for her and her efforts.

I had a brass Palmo that I bought in the late 1950's as a youth. I lost it at a magic show, and of course whoever found it, kept it or threw it away, instead of returning that weird thing to the magician that had all kinds of weird things at their event. Just part of life, I guess.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Bill Hegbli:

Thanks for the tip on the General Grant Die tubes...I will check them out.

FYI...the late Roger Klause was a friend and did many nice things for me...may he rest in peace.......

And you're right...Ruth did a fine job.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Just curious guys, no disrespect, does it matter aluminum vs brass? I looked at mine...can't tell.

Doug
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Dougini:

In my opinion, no it really doesn't matter Aluminum Vs Brass in this particular gimmick,,,(Palmo)...I have three of them now..

However OTHER silk Gimmicks probably would matter....one that comes to mind is the Abbott's Duke Dye Version one.....a bit heftier brass gimmick and its weight probably helps more with this particular trick and its moves.

If you have the trick, you will know what I mean.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I will have to look at mine tomorrow. I have three or four of them that I got from Ruth at a convention a few years ago.

You also need to get a Thayer Nikko ball. I have an original Thayer made of wood. I don't use it but it is neat to play with. Reminds me of the old Magic Inc., Ade Duval vanishing and reappearing silk gimmick.

I made my own McComb gimmicks from brass tubing. You can almost stand on them they are so heavy duty. The oval is the key to that gimmick.

The original Dye version gimmick was a Contadina tomato paste can. How's that for trivia?

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Rice's Palmo (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL