The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » First Night Events (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1434 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
A few years back it seemed as if I worked a fair amount of First Night events. Sometimes I worked a few years in a row, with maybe one free year, and then I'd be working these again for another year or so.

Some time ago, though, I think many of these groups fell on hard times trying to get sponsorship funds. I know some of these venues even closed shop or were looking for bottom feeders.

In recent times I've tried contacting these groups and I don't even get an ounce of interest.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Gerry
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Can you be more specific on what you are talking about?
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7444 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
"First Night" is a family-friendly New Year's Eve event. I have performed in a few of them, years ago, but they have largely vanished.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2012-08-23 20:23, Donald Dunphy wrote:
"First Night" is a family-friendly New Year's Eve event. I have performed in a few of them, years ago, but they have largely vanished.

- Donald

As have large NYE events in general, at least where I was marketing. It used to be that every major club and hotel had events. I used to always be super busy, but at one point that all changed, in spite of business being otherwise good.

Just a thought... I wonder if there might be a need for children's entertainment anywhere where people gather on New Years Day, to maybe watch bowl games??
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I was booked for First Night Va. for several years in a row and then they went a different direction and were only booking local groups for budget reasons. Didn't want to fly me out and put me up in a hotel when they could shop in their own back yard. I just went to their website and they have several magi/jugglers this year including Eric Jones! Awesome!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
It was common to me many years ago. They started going down several years ago with me. But it is beginning to pick back up for me after receiving 2 calls for this year on New Year Eve.
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1434 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
Not too many years back I sent this one group info on my show.

They asked for my price and I quoted them the lower end of ,u pricing spectrum. They then sent out a blast email saying that money was tight and they were looking for lower prices. I never responded and just took them off my mailing list.

Gerry
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I used to do spectacular New Years Eve events in the past, but now they call me as an after thought.

The past two years I have had a big interest in First Friday celebrations. I guess the difference is First Friday's are a way of the town to make money, and First Night is just a party.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » First Night Events (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL