The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Moderating the forum (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
A good moderator is a rare beast. Everyone wants to be a part of his forum, and respects his opinion, whatever it might be.

A bit naive and childish, but surely, that isn't a bad thing for a magician. And, exactly how the real-World operates.

What is skillful moderation? When do you feel it's time for the mods to intervene? And do you consider the intervention of moderators when you make your posts?

Just curious, Doug
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I wish there was a way for Steve Brooks to eliminate internet trolls (I just learned what that term means). These guys have only one point of view, it is I DISAGREE with whatever you say. Sometimes I wonder if these nameless jerks are magicians at all.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
Good sense, a filter and knowing ones audience is important in the "biz" and on line.

Knowing potential employers/customers can do on-line checks is something I discuss with my students. This includes potential bosses, college application offices and many more.

Personally, I appreciate the moderators, but don't really think about them in relationship to what I do and don't post.

It is good to give and receive here at the Café.

Harris
still 2 old to know it all
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2304 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
I have long defended the moderates here because I realize the impossible job they have. How can you possibly please everyone here at the Magic Café, or any forum? I can’t even moderate my family successfully, let alone 50,000 personalities and egos.

For me, yes of course I consider the moderators (or my own good judgment) when I post. There are rules here and they are there for a reason. For example, no politics or religion, right? I think everyone understands why they have that rule in place. You know how easily things get out of hand and feelings get hurt. We are not here to discuss these divisive subjects, we’re here to talking about important things like magic.

Having said that, I can’t resist a cleverly disguised political comment here and there. Smile
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
I think if you just tell it as it is - or as you honestly see it from your viewpoint, whatever the topic - then any decent moderator should appreciate this. I tend to avoid intentionally or unintentionally hurting anyone on forums. Life is too short. In the early days of this Kids Magicians section here there used to be a lot of "I'm right and you are wrong" type characters Smile Who needs them?

Tony
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2805 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I've always said that the moderators here have a very hard job. Most have no idea how hard it really is.

To get a good idea of how hard it is: Fill the bathtub with water and go get one hundred ping pong balls.
(Make sure it's the floating kind.) Now try holding them all under water at the same time. Every time you think you doing good another one will pop up. You sink one and two will pop right back up. It's a never ending battle.

Another example would be, it's like being slowly pecked to death by a chicken. Smile

I admire and appreciate them all.

Seriously, Thank You Café people for the awesome job you do.

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
There are moderators here? Smile

Sometimes I think they delete things that shouldn't have been. Sometimes I think they should delete things that they should have. All the time I'm glad I don't have to be one.

It's a tough job and very time-consuming to do correctly. Overall, I think they do it correctly here.

And I rarely consider what they might do to my posts. Which is another sign that they do a good job - we don't have to fear their actions.

My thanks to them, and to you guys for the existence of the Café.

- B.H.
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
Quote:
On 2012-08-24 16:11, TomBoleware wrote:

To get a good idea of how hard it is: Fill the bathtub with water and go get one hundred ping pong balls.
(Make sure it's the floating kind.) Now try holding them all under water at the same time. Every time you think you doing good another one will pop up. You sink one and two will pop right back up. It's a never ending battle.

Great analogy! Of course if we all used a little bit of common sense we wouldn't need moderators at all. However common sense seems to be in short supply round here.

It really should be obvious to most intelligent people when a post is going to course offense. However looking at some of the comments made I find it hard to believe that some of the people here are in the business of entertaining and working with children.

Mark
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Moderating the forum (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL