The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Shoe-store Show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Damian
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Damian
Hi All,

I've been booked to perform at a shoe store, for the Crocs company, in a couple weeks' time. It's primarily a kids' show-sort of a Back-To-School theme, I think. There's a big, wall with Crocs hanging on display. Lots of styles, colors, kids' themes, etc. The marketing director mentioned that it would be cool if I could do something with all those nice shoes on display...

Not sure where to go with this. I'm not feeling pressured to do anything with the shoes, really, but was curious if any of you have been in a similar situation. This is actually the second time I've performed for this company, and the first time around, I worked out a trick where I took off my shoe (a Crocs sneaker) and produced 3 more shoes from my own. I also had a special Crocs coloring book made for the event (which turned out terrific).

But when it comes to doing things with the actual shoes, I don't have a whole of ideas, and would love to hear what your experience has been.

Thanks for any creative input!

Damian
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7035 Posts

Profile of bowers
You could do the self tieing shoe lace trick.
I can't remember who put this effect out.
it got some great reveiws when it came out.
todd
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Todd, I'm not sure I've ever seen a croc shoe with laces. Do they have those now?

Damian, here's a few ideas...

Wear crocs! Even if it doesn't quite fit your costume, you can wear crocs.

Use the charms on the crocs (I don't remember what they're called, but the store sells them) to do a prediction. (ie. "did you guys know you can customize your crocs? They have these little charms). Use a clear force change bag to force one. As you go behind your case, slip one of your feet out and into another croc that has that charm on it (nobody will notice) and you can make their charm appear on your shoe!

Card to shoe (or anything to shoe).

Croc...odile jokes (tell the audience you thought it was a "croc" show, then bring out a stuffed crocodile)

To a "Top Ten" type of prediction routine with croc colors and designs.

Vanish something and have it reappear hanging on a wall behind crocs.

You'll have to let us know how it goes! Best Wishes,
Kevin
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2285 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
I think dearwiseone is on to something. I do a silk vanish, wherein the silk reappears in one of several different colored eggs. It uses a mesh-force-bag and always gets a good response. Instead of forcing a specific-colored egg, in which the duplicate silk is hidden, force a color with the force bag, then have the vanished (TT) silk reappear in the appropriately colored Croc on the wall. Yeah…. That’s the ticket.

Here’s a line for you. When I have the child select the colored egg “at random,” I ask the kid: “You know what random means, right? It’s the way grown-ups drive when they’re talking on the cell phone.”
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
Damian
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Damian
Yes, they have Crocs of all sorts, these days, including ones with laces, which is what I was planning on wearing. Todd, that's a good idea, thanks for mentioning it.

Kevin, I like your idea for the Jibbitz! (That's what those little charms are called.) It'd be easier to do if I just wore the normal slip-ons... I was planning on wearing red sneaks (lace-ups), which I thought would look cool. I'll have to think about that.

I forgot to mention that the last time I did a show for them, I included a crocodile hand-puppet that bears a resemblance to their mascot. That was fun, I'll probably do that again.

Thanks for the ideas!
Damian
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Damian
Mike, thanks, I like that. It's a decent way of utilizing the bazillion Crocs on the wall, which is what the woman who's hiring me mentioned. In fact, I guess I wouldn't even need a force-bag...

What do you use when you have them choose a color, plastic chip, or something? (nice line, btw!)
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3286 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Use a rabbit production box, instead of producing a rabbit, produce a live Crocodile, then place the croc through a rabbit wringer and then open the top door and produce a Croc shoe, the company and the kids will love it…LOL
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
I used my OOPS Machine for a couple of shows promoting shoes and sneakers. Naturally I did not want to burn up a shoe or a sneaker for such a promotion. The audience might find it funny, but the shoe store and manufacturers might think it a bit negative to their product(s). So instead, I used the device without flames and smoke to just "clean" the shoe or sneaker without harming it in any way. Instead of a burnt shoe dropping out, I simply transformed it into a felt Christmas Elf shoe (a Clown shoe would work as well). Then the rest of the routine was spent in attempting to restore the shoe back to its original condition: "There's nothing like a Croc. There's nothing like a Croc. Has it changed into a Croc yet?" The shoe stores loved having the whole audience using its products as magic words. Of course, those were the pre-historic days of Tom Mc'Ann, before Crocs had been invented, but you get the idea.
Damian
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Damian
Yeah, the OOPS machine would be absolutely brilliant. I'm sure the Crocs folks would be very impressed, not to mention the kids. Maybe someday...
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Make a Drawer Box out of a shoe box.

Show the box empty by pulling out the drawer. Close the drawer. Re-open it to show Croc Shoes.
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Great idea Dynamike! I like that one.

-Kevin
Daniel Ulzen
View Profile
Veteran user
Berlin/Germany
391 Posts

Profile of Daniel Ulzen
Zombie levitation with croc instead of ball

Hippity Hop Rabbits with rabbits wearing different coloured crocs

cards across routine where the cards are put in the crocs held by the kids and not under silks

magicians choice: croc under silk is prediction - then a child can "choose" one of four crocs

Exit/turning arrow trick with croc instead of arrow

Baby Gag - say in the envelope is a famous person wearing croc, child can tell you any famous person, then pull out the baby picture and the baby wears the correct crocs

color changing shoelaces
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Pull one/two out of a Square Circle.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13417 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
"Socks with Croks" - My favorite way to wear Crocs.

Of course, it's the least kewl way to wear crocs, too.
You could do a funny presentation on whether or not to wear socks with Crocs...

A lead-in to Michael Weber's trick with socks from his book Lifesavers.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2285 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On 2012-08-26 18:17, Damian wrote: What do you use when you have them choose a color, plastic chip, or something? (nice line, btw!)
As I mentioned, I force the colored-egg that has the duplicate silk inside, with a mesh force-bag. One could use a pack of basic-colored Crayola crayons and a change bag just as easily. But the force-bag looks more innocent and adds to the effect.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

Damian
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Damian
[/quote]As I mentioned, I force the colored-egg that has the duplicate silk inside, with a mesh force-bag. One could use a pack of basic-colored Crayola crayons and a change bag just as easily. But the force-bag looks more innocent and adds to the effect.
[/quote]

Oh, I see. I misread your post. I thought you were forcing a color, which indicates the egg...

Anyway, I like this idea. I got a lot of great feedback from everyone, on this project--thank you, everyone!
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2285 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Here's what I'm using, Damian. But for kid's shows, I have one of the kids vanish a silk that is in my hand (TT) and it reappears in a freely chosen egg that he placed in his pocket before vanishing the duplicate silk. I also show that the other eggs are empty - just to eliminate any thoughts that there is a silk in all of them. Sometimes I have the child place the egg under his arm, then do bits about hatching eggs.

http://www.clownantics.com/general-magic......0-p.html
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Burn it in the oops/wiz kote! Burn it!!

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Shoe-store Show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL