The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » FENCED IN ILLUSION (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
jonathan hawley magic
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of jonathan hawley magic
Elastic is really not a great choice for this kind of effect.
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1389 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Tristanmagic is spot on.
It's all in the reflexes.
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Using elastic allows for the "ropes" to be taught throughout the illusion, while a differing in distance pulled apart, therefore allowing the poles to be "in view" the entire time, which adds to the effect. I think bunge chords were chosen for this reason. If it were not for that, I would agree that other materials would look more dramatic.

I also think we need to compare the price point and portability when comparing this effect to other walk through illusions. For these reasons, I see this for a totally different market than the stage illusionist who wants a walking through mirror or steel plate.
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1389 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
If price point is your primary criteria for what you are performing in your show, then you're in the wrong biz.
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-09-03 19:29, Illucifer wrote:
If price point is your primary criteria for what you are performing in your show, then you're in the wrong biz.

Really?
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
881 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
Yes, really.
Hector
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of Hector
IMHO, I think this is not really a cheap illusion since you need to hire 2 assistants. So a total of 3 people for this illusion. What do you think?

I like the concept behind the illusion tho.

All the besto.
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Frankly, I am a bit surprised at the narrow approach many take here. Of course this is not an illusion that a vegas performer closes their show with. In fact, it may not be an illusion that a performer that has two full time assistants would include as a feature of their show. But it may well be an illusion that is used in a specific theme show or variety show, or corporate event. The price allows for use in a wider variety of situations where one does not need a huge amount of usages to justify the price. It fills several possible niches. To say that price point is not a critical business factor in creating a show is naive, to say the least.

P.S. My comments above a based on my opinion that this is a cool effect that will fool people. If you believe you were not fooled, because the performer just squeezed through the chords (that is simply impossible and inconsistant with the performance), then there is no point in discussing it further.
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1361 Posts

Profile of M Sini
Charlie,

Some of us just aren't impressed by it. Personally I prefer Steinmeyer's Houdini's Rope. While the price may be higher, I don't have to pay 2 assistants and can instead use 2 audience members on stage.
stephane_arnow
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of stephane_arnow
Looks like an excellent effect
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

M Sini - thanks for your post. I do not own Fenced In, or have any personal connection to to it or the creators. I think to say you are not impressed with the effect is a very fair opinion. I just don"t think it is fair to compare the impact the illusion has to one that costs thousands of dollars, weighs a ton, needs to be packed for storage, must be preset on stage, and moved via moving van. I got the sense that some people were trying to do that.
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1389 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
As Charlie correctly points out, Houdini's Rope is a far more effective and far more deceptive illusion. The magician passes through a single strand of rope, but the thinking behind it, the clever method, and the presentation all combine seamlessly to create a satisfying mystery. And it's a mystery with direction and purpose. Some might say you could just take Jim's script and apply it to the
'trick' being discussed here, but that simply wouldn't be effective. It's all the elements together that make it great. That is to say, the aesthetic of the apparatus is perfectly suited to the patter and presentation. The design and use of the prop is logical and justified. All of which aid the simple, but effective method in generating a deceptive piece of magic.
Magician of the century
View Profile
New user
Washington
57 Posts

Profile of Magician of the century
I think we magicians are often very Judgmental of our props. We don't view illusions the way our spectators do. So I showed the demo to my non magician buddy and he was very impressed and told me I had to do this at my next gig.

Iam going to first do the classic rope thru body illusion then take it to the next level with Fenced In as the climax.
vj022
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of vj022
I've been cautious when it comes to Peter's illusions. He put out a great effect, Body Swap, but fails to show the full efffect on video. It's all photos only and no presentation. I wish when magicians try and sell their products, they go through the simple process of videoing the entire illusion and routine. I hate bringing up an old point but another illusion builder selling thier illusions went wrong. You have the product, demo it.
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
I have no idea what this has to do with Fenced in. But anyway, yes Body Swap is one of very few illusions we did not do a full demo for, and that is because I was offering this as a "location rights for sale" and offered this to certain good customers and high profile performers first before I went public with it. Part of the agreement we made with our first buyer before I put it on our site was that I could not sell this in certain parts of the world, and I could not show a full video performance to the general public for a certain amount of time we agreed to in the contract. Only wanting to sell a few if anymore at all(as I was keeping one for my own new show being built) I agreed.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-10-04 00:03, vj022 wrote:
I've been cautious when it comes to Peter's illusions. He put out a great effect, Body Swap, but fails to show the full efffect on video. It's all photos only and no presentation. I wish when magicians try and sell their products, they go through the simple process of videoing the entire illusion and routine. I hate bringing up an old point but another illusion builder selling thier illusions went wrong. You have the product, demo it.

This post is a bit peculiar - to say the least.
tristanmagic
View Profile
Special user
530 Posts

Profile of tristanmagic
Quote:
On 2012-10-04 00:03, vj022 wrote:

Peter put out some hits but also some misses.
I feel that Body swap is one of them! Especially like it is 'performed' on the slide show video.
Let's be honest black art doesn't work in front of a white backdrop and the pedestal looks huge!
The original vertical body swap effect, called cross culture, created by Franz Harary is much stronger
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4B9CqVQjwM

I realise that it is not easy coming up with new effects and that as a creator all your baby's look beautiful but I think in our art it is important to get honest feed back so you can grow and this way you can improve certain effects, like Body swap, that are not ready yet.

I hope you don't mind me being honest.
magicelam
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee
368 Posts

Profile of magicelam
I like Houdini's rope... Dan Wolfe's Thru Steel is very very good. And while most magicians will be able to figure out the method, I think it slays the lay people... unlike this walking thru some bungee cords.
Mike
Kendrix
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Kendrix
I always get a kick out of people who say "price point" shouldn't be considered. They either don't last very long because of economics or they don't perform very often. I agree with Charlie about this effect.
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1389 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
I don't think anyone said that, Kendrix. It was pointed out that price point should not be the priority consideration, and it shouldn't. I'll be the first to say that great tricks can be done with a cardboard box, in the right context. That doesn't mean one sets cardboard boxes as the standard or requirement for what they perform. There are a whole host of considerations - Who are you as a performer, your character? What is it you're trying to say; what's your point of view? What is the setting or theme of your show? What kinds of venues will you perform in? Etc.
And, yes, one of the questions is 'what is your budget?'
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » FENCED IN ILLUSION (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL