The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » FENCED IN ILLUSION (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Kendrix
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Kendrix
Illucifer:
That was a great post and I agree fully.
semo
View Profile
Loyal user
San Jose, CA
300 Posts

Profile of semo
It's been a while since I posted. The forum seemed a bit polarized in terms of Fenced In (folks either loved or hated the fact that bungees were used in the effect). So, to that end, we listened. James Wiggs and I worked on a Chained In version. And I performed it live for an audience last week. I'm posting the video of my performance of Chained In for you to see what you think and that it works as well with chains as it does with bungees.

http://youtu.be/lfOrU3xwQjA

Note that Chained In is not for sale, yet (and the hand shackle part of the routine is not part of Fenced In either, of course). In fact, I'd like to put out the question to the forum on what we should do. We are at a cross roads decision point and are trying to figure out what next steps are, if any and if it's worth it.

Do we:
1. Do nothing different and keep selling Fenced In as is
2. Offer a new product as a Chained In version (the price point would be higher than Fenced In due to higher shipping, labor and materials)
3. Offer a Fenced In upgrade package to chains (we provide the material, you retrofit Fenced In, cost could still be high due to shipping, gathering, inventory, handling, etc.)
4. Insert instructions in Fenced In of how to retrofit the Fenced In illusion to create the Chained In illusion, complete with list of materials, where to find them, and performance differences. You would have to do the legwork to order the material, and retrofit the Fenced In prop. We have not written this bonus material yet.

What do you think? Please give us your opinion on the illusion, the performance and next steps. Would a Chained in version be more desirable? If so, in what way would be best?

Thanks guys. Looking forward to your feedback. (I posted this in the latest and greatest forum as well since that's where a large thread started when we first came out with Fenced In, but it kind of settled here in Grand Illusions and wanted to make sure this group saw it as well).
Scott Emo, co-creator of Fenced In Illusion - There's nothing better than breaking free!

And creator of Sacred - The Child Conjuring Illusion - Because there is nothing more magical than the creation of a child.

Find them at: http://www.masterofillusions.ca/
semo
View Profile
Loyal user
San Jose, CA
300 Posts

Profile of semo
Any thoughts at all how we should (or even if we should) bring the Chained In version to market? Your thoughts and opinions would be very appreciated. Please see the video posted above for an idea of how the Chained In version played for a live audience and the options we are considering. Maybe you even have a different option we haven't thought of. Thanks for you help.
Scott Emo, co-creator of Fenced In Illusion - There's nothing better than breaking free!

And creator of Sacred - The Child Conjuring Illusion - Because there is nothing more magical than the creation of a child.

Rodney
View Profile
New user
Texas
40 Posts

Profile of Rodney
Vary nice trick
semo
View Profile
Loyal user
San Jose, CA
300 Posts

Profile of semo
Hey Guys, any additional thoughts before we make our decision on how to bring this to market?

Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Hilarious...I was just thinking the exact same thing. We have horses (I grew up a city boy) and I have heard stories of the farm girls up here convincing the city boys to take a leak on the electric fence. LOL

[quote]On 2012-09-01 13:43, illusionman2 wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-08-31 12:58, Illucifer wrote:
It absolutely matters what you do and how you do it, otherwise why not just walk out onstage as take a p*ss?
Of course, entertainment is a goal, but it's not the only one. First and foremost, if one is performing magic, the goal is to amaze the audience. If your only goal is to entertain, then don't do magic, please. Your aim should be to absolutely dumbfound the audience and entertain them in the process.

[end of quote]

LOL---For the record, you can take a **** while performing Fenced In, as long as it is not an electric fence that you are ****ing on". But I restrained myself.

James Wiggs
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Now...back to the business at hand. I like this illusion, guys. I will be saving up to purchase it to add to the show I am building to help various charities raise money for their causes. It looks quick, clean and free of goofy-looking apparatus. I have always thought that magic done with "ordinary" stuff always looks more magical (although one of my heros, Doug Henning, would likely disagree with me!).

I look forward to purchasing this and making good use of it!
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
First...Happy Easter!

Second:

I can understand the idea behind wanting to do away with the bungees, since some might see them as too flexible, "the magician just crawled through", etc. In that case, chains would likely be more powerful.

However, I have always been a believer in presentation making a huge difference. In the original video you posted, it is basically a bare bones video of the effect being performed. THIS is what people seem to be judging. However, I looked at it a little differently. I watch it and see the storyline possibilities. I look for how I might be able to create a story that will touch people, move people, or simply bring wonder into their minds. To me, it's NOT ENOUGH to simply make them say "Holy S**T!"

That being said, the original fenced in offers a simple illusion that appears to be economical and easy to transport. It also appears that MANY good storylines fitting all sorts of characters could be created. The same could be said for Chained In, as well...it's simply a matter, in my mind at least, of WHICH of the two better fit the character and story we have created.

Here are my thoughts as to how to approach the sales of this product. I would offer a "retro-fit" kit to all who have purchased the original product. Perhaps, for the do-it-yourself crowd, you could offer the instruction to upgrade at a low or no cost to all who have purchased the original from you.

Then, you can offer the "new product" in one of three ways: 1) Fenced In with bonus instructions (either video or written) on upgrading with chains, 2) A chain upgrade with instructions, OR 3) the complete "IN" package, which includes all the materials to perform it both ways.

I personally think that the upgrade instructions would be very popular since it would be economical to ship (unlike heavy steel chain).

Anyways...those are my thoughts...and I look forward to being to add this to my repertoire at some point!

Quote:
On 2013-03-30 03:53, semo wrote:
Hey Guys, any additional thoughts before we make our decision on how to bring this to market?
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1361 Posts

Profile of M Sini
Very entertaining routine! Well done Scott! While I was critical of the bungee cord version I find the chain version FAR more impressive.

I agree with Mike that presentation is very important in presenting an illusion and I could see myself using Chained-In in my show.

My thoughts would be to offer Chained-In as a package and/is if you continue to produce Fenced-In include only the additional instructions/material list.
JL608
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of JL608
I thought the original bungee cord version was actually very deceptive. The video fooled some friends of mine who are pretty well known names.

I purchased one of the first which I had hoped would be used by my daughter for a school talent show. She decided to sing instead.

If anyone is interested in a BRAND NEW Fenced In, I have one available at a great price. Send me a PM, or watch for the listing in the sale section.

My email is JosephL608@aol.com

Thanks!

Joe
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » FENCED IN ILLUSION (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL