The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What do you do on a regular basis to make your show better? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13396 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Since I work out of a briefcase, space is a premium.
One of my tricks uses 3 large silks and a dye tube. Instead of just keeping it all just tossed in the case, I put all of it into a cups and balls bag.
Then I just pull everything out before the show starts.

I used it that way for a long time. Then one day when rummaging around, I found a similar size bag with a zipper along one of the long sides.

I immediately switched to that bag and it made a huge difference in "getting ready".

Now, when I unzip that bag, I have easy access to everything and I don't have to take anything out to "get ready". Anyone peeking into my case, should that happen, sees nothing because everything is still inside the zipper bag. With the cups bag, I had to remove everything and set the bag on top of it all to cover the items that were in there.

I also have a small red zipper case that holds all the items I need to put on my person before my show starts.
If the bag is empty... I'm ready.
That idea also reduced a lot of pre-show stress.

Nothing feels so great as when I'm watching the act before mine from the audience as a spectator instead of pacing backstage, wondering if I'm ready or not.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
gadfly3d
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of gadfly3d
Work in front of a live audience
magicpro12
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of magicpro12
Write down your ideas. Sometimes you may have a random thought that crosses your mind. Write it down. That thought will often lead to new ideas for the show. For example, while performing a finger chopper effect last night, I had used a line I had never used before. It made the routine a huge hit. I wrote it down and it will now be a refular part of the routine.
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2120 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Quote:
On 2012-08-27 18:06, ColinDymond wrote:
I wonder how well skinning a cat goes down in a kids show?

Well, I'D pay to see it!
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Take risks.
magic4children
View Profile
Regular user
Cheshire UK
127 Posts

Profile of magic4children
Add one new routine per month, (and archive one) so that yearly repeat bookings get a different show.
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
Quote:
On 2012-08-28 07:37, magicgeorge wrote:
Take risks.

Absolutely!
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
TRUMPETMAN
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
705 Posts

Profile of TRUMPETMAN
I try to talk to my mentor on a fairly regular basis, and also seek out more mentors for inspiration.

I also try to read everyday, and write down every crazy idea that comes into my head.
Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
facebook.com/robbietheringmaster
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1399 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
Magic4Kids:
sometimes it takes YEARS to develop a new routine.. to trade out magic on a monthly basis is not only robbing you of REALLY learning a routine.. but robbing your audience of seeing a flushed out routine. I hate to say this.. but 90% of your audience probably couldn't name more than one trick you did your show... and if you repeat the one they remember.. it means it was good enough to rememeber and that they'd like to see it again.

I think that video of EVERY show.. new old or indifferent is important. David Copperfield and many other top acts tape EVERY show.. you never know when you're going to have that GEM of an improve joke that you want to keep... or when you've changed over time and something doesn't look as good as it could
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13396 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2012-08-28 08:01, magic4children wrote:
Add one new routine per month, (and archive one) so that yearly repeat bookings get a different show.

I agree with the post above. This is NOT a good way to try to improve your act.
In fact, after 6 months, you're doing 6 tricks that you've barely ever done in front of a live audience.
Your entire act is basically JUST getting started, at all times.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
I have to agree, I have new routines that I've added that I thought wouldn't make the cut but after a few months of performing it and making adjustments I found that it improved and now fits into my act.
Life of Magic!
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8694 Posts

Profile of harris
I have a puppet that I just started adding to my shows. I started this in May. I have had the puppet on my thinking table since 2003.

The last month, I have taken out my lead puppet. Though those who have seen Nigel, ask and miss him, it is great to see Papa Charlies character shine before a live audience.

On the other hand my spring animal routine has been in my show for over 10 years. A short run of puppet workshops added 3 new bits with him.

I find teaching and holding workshops makes my regular shows stronger. These workshops are either for other Christian entertainers or 7th grade(middle school) drama classes.

Harris

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
I try to build most of my own equipment, and I often upgrade long standing routines with better props or improved handling. I like gradual improvements.

most recently I rebuilt my zombie routine with new music, a disapearing ball move, a better mime sequence, and now this transitions into Jeff McBride's Butterfly Blizzard, which is entirely new.

jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Bill

I like the base

Now guess my age. I bought a new six foot dragon silk (Like the one in your picture but a 6 footer ) for a grand total of either 22.50 or 27.50, new. I can't remember, it was a while ago.

I still use it in my Kuma Tubes
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Hi Jay,

The base is made out of a different pieces of an upside down Toro Lawn Sprinkler with part of a plastic cup on top.

I see those 6 foot dragon silks for about $150 now, although I doubt the new ones are as nice as yours. The inflation calculator estimates that would have been worth $25 back in 1972. Sound about right?

The Kuma Tubes are super cool! Do you still perform them?

Best, Bill
kimmo
View Profile
Inner circle
Sheffield
1193 Posts

Profile of kimmo
Quote:
On 2012-08-28 08:09, TommyJ wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-08-28 07:37, magicgeorge wrote:
Take risks.

Absolutely!

Agreed!

I'll also add - don't beat yourself though up if you try something new and it fails.
VISIT MY ONLINE STORE!: www.kimmomagicshop.com
NEW LECTURE NOTES - SHOW US YOUR TRIX NOW AVAILABLE AS AN INSTANT DIGITAL DOWNLOAD!

Kimmo DVD available Now!
Watch the promo here!
Order your copy NOW! CLICK HERE!

ENTERTAINER,MAGICIAN AND VENTRILOQUIST'S BLOG - DON'T READ THIS...
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8694 Posts

Profile of harris
Yes, something going "wrong" has many times taught me more than my A ++++ stuff.

In the past wrong...led to fear..and the show going "south". Now it can lead to something wonderful.

Harris
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8694 Posts

Profile of harris
This morning I got to see several puppet programs put on by students who attended my workshops.

It was great to see them use the elements they learned.

Harris
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2120 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Quote:
On 2012-08-28 08:01, magic4children wrote:

Well, I don't know about adding a new routine EVERY month...that sounds a bit trying. I do regularly come across new effects which I fiddle with, and some are good, so they get routined, and make it into the act, shouldering something else aside......but that happens I'd say mabye 3-5 times a year on average.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Steve Burton
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Steve Burton
On a regular basis I paint, sew and clean. It's a constant battle to keep everything looking good.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What do you do on a regular basis to make your show better? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL