The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Psychological Mentalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8525 Posts

Profile of funsway
I have also done multi bob pendulum work in which the movement is controlled from a distance using finger movements linked to musical notes. Instructions are "on the fly" to a volunteer as you demonstrate how the pendulum works. Later, finger movements key linked memories of a musical note with a resulting response from one of three pendulums -- all subconsciously.

This works, in part, because the brain processes musical information differently from either the Limbic 4F's or rational discernment. Simply playing a note does not work -- it takes the psychological linking of a movement to a note that causes the mind to search for "certainty" in the relationship -- with the movement of the pendulum part of the memory.

this is still experimental, with five notable mentalists around the world testing the applications. I can do it -- but so what. ;-) It is only "mentalism" if many can replicate the effect.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1521 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
Milton Erickson Smile

psychological work is most of what I do on a daily basis, there is a lot of good information out there, for me I would recommend selected works from Walter Davis, Just about everything Neal Scryer, Richard Webster have written,selected works from Ormond McGill. Not forgetting my work on using pure psychology and quarks of the human mind and body to produce effects.

And here is two more things where a valuable works using psychology can be found, but you will have to follow the rabbit and go ask Alice,
so what the second thing? For that you must find the King and get bo'ed.

There is not much I miss in mentalism. Smile

Anyway this topic should be redone below.

I am away working on a DVD project with David Storm. Some of you may remember him from when he played the Magic Castle back in the early 90s. We teamed up and are turning back the clock 25 years and doing some of the stuff we did when we first meet. This is going to be very different than the psycho babble I normally do. Wait a few items of mine date from back that time maybe one of those will be shown on this work? You know I think it might be......seriously open a new thread below on this topic as its a good one and should be discussed because there are many misconceptions as to what doing it for real includes among other things.
trillion
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of trillion
How To Read A Person Like A Book (Gerard Nierenberg, Henry Calero)
The Naked Face (Lailan Young)
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
Spartacus, I don't know how I managed to overlook your post!! Yes, unquestionably good works there, Erickson arguably inspired the whole NLP movement.

MentalistCreationLab - Awarded most cryptic post I have EVER seen. A full day later and I am still working out what on earth he is talking about. I suspect that I won't confirm my suspicions for another 10 or so posts...

Trillion - Good references. I think Nierenberg's book is a little bit dated (I prefer the texts I have listed above), but the Naked Face is a solid book. I really am surprised that nobody else mentioned face reading! It works well with any other type of reading system, so as you are learning it, if you have a few misses, they can still be turned into hits. The best face reading book I have seen is Rose Rosetree's "The Power of Face Reading". I'm not sure that it is quite as proven and reliable as most body language cues, but there is a lot in there that is of value.
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1521 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
Magic Atlas- you will solve it one day soon then you will have a two solid sources for what you seek. One of the sources is hard to get but useful Sometimes I do get things mixed up which is on which. That's cryptic too....but nevertheless a clue, after all we are disusing psychological mentalism in open forum.
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
Thanks, I thought I was thinking along the right lines here. I am getting close and will redo this thread below.
trillion
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of trillion
Yes, totally dated, but the "Chin-Stroking Evaluation Gesture" is awesome.
trillion
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of trillion
Instant Rapport (Michael Brooks)... Influence The Psychology of Persuasion (Robert Cialdini)...
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
Hmmmm...I'm sort of stroking my chin in my profile picture!

I think there has been some fantastic feedback so far, with numerous avenues of exploration opened to the inquisitive.

Since it was a blog post that started this thread, my follow-up may be of interest as well. I posted it yesterday - it is the start in a series of posts on detecting deception naturally.

If you are interested, just follow the link on my website. I'd also be interested to hear what any of you come up with using the principles discussed.
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
Quote:
On 2012-08-28 20:35, MagicAtlas wrote:
Spartacus, I don't know how I managed to overlook your post!! Yes, unquestionably good works there, Erickson arguably inspired the whole NLP movement.

I was lucky enough to receive training by some of his students in family therapy while in grad school. Erickson is able to demonstrate real magic in his training films, which I believe are still available. While he works in a psychiatric context, his ability to read and say the right words that opens a patients insight into their dramas, is phenomenal. His methods are readily available for those who want to step beyond the boundaries of mental phenomena.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18680 Posts

Profile of IAIN
MindReach.
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
This is the book about remote viewing?
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
WOW! I am genuinely impressed. For anyone following this thread, MentalistCreationLab asked me to restart it in the Inner Thoughts section. I did, and what he just shared was SO clever! If you can, get down there and have a look.

I'm surprised I didn't read it in "Scryer and Friends" to be honest. That is how amazing the idea is.
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1043 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
Funsway ... thanks for the "Close Call" and "In your pocket" routine. Very interesting reading ...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Psychological Mentalism (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL