The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Cleaning gimmicked coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tamariz
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of Tamariz
Anything I should consider or avoids. Was thinking of just some steel wool.
plungerman
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of plungerman
AAAAHH!!!

Please don't even say it. You should find/buy a cloth used to polish silver. This is used Without! any other cleaner. It has cleaner within its fibers. Using this will allow you to Slowly work away the dirt till you get a shine.

Either that or you might go for some Gentle polishing compounds. You can't put back what you take away. Stay away from Tarnex and Naval jelly, too strong. You need to polish the high parts but let the tarnish, or even dirt, stay in the nooks and crannies.

P
Octopus Sun
View Profile
Special user
Wiggle Wiggle
586 Posts

Profile of Octopus Sun
No to steel wool
what do you mean by cleaning?
type of gimmick?
a folding coin, rubber band in grove kinda thing
dirt in the [
all sorts of things to do to clean.
if you mean to polish, use toothpaste and a cotton cloth.
if you want to clean dirt inside your [
soap and water with soft cloth
be careful with sharp pointed tools
you can scratch your gimmick coins and possibly

a little more info and we can point you down the right path.

stop them from working smoothly, flips etc...
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Octopus Sun, a little off topic but can you tighten a slppery sam if its a little loose? if so how - it only needs a very minor tweak. I have tried rolling it with a coin in it and applying pressure to no avail and don't want to squeeze it with channel locks. any ideas?
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
cablerock
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of cablerock
Poof, the way I would try is by putting the coin into it that should be the right size, and rolling a bic lighter around the outside edge with the coin held firmly on the other side.
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2536 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Quote:
On 2012-08-27 20:29, Tamariz wrote:
Was thinking of just some steel wool.

I assume you were kidding, right?
Barry Allen

Over 14 years have passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
RussoMagic.com
View Profile
Loyal user
242 Posts

Profile of RussoMagic.com
Don't buy anything - warm water toothpaste & toothbrush is all you need! Works like a charm on silver/copper coins real or gimmicked! Smile
Octopus Sun
View Profile
Special user
Wiggle Wiggle
586 Posts

Profile of Octopus Sun
Poof I'm not sure how loose your coins are but cablerock is correct imo.
billfromoregon
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

Profile of billfromoregon
Yes, Todd Lassen has a post on his blog that shows how to tighten a slippery sam with a bic lighter - I used this to tighten my U3F and it worked like a dream - literally took 2 seconds.
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
776 Posts

Profile of Snidini
I use Flitz for my coins. It also resists acids for the hands that will tarnish them faster. Just a little dab will do ya. Polish with a soft micro fibre cloth and you're back in buisness.
bigcheese
View Profile
New user
Sacramento, CA
56 Posts

Profile of bigcheese
There are a number of methods to cleaning coins, though some of them are more effective than others. Several of the methods described above will work nicely. My favorite method involves white vinegar and baking soda. Here's a video that walks you through it step by step: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oteq49pfjn0
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Do it, then follow up with the dremel and grinder since most seem to be so hard up for soft coins.
Dorianmagic
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Dorianmagic
Quote:
On 2012-09-07 07:10, bigcheese wrote:
There are a number of methods to cleaning coins, though some of them are more effective than others. Several of the methods described above will work nicely. My favorite method involves white vinegar and baking soda. Here's a video that walks you through it step by step: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oteq49pfjn0

Cleaning copper coins also uses white vinegar but instead of baking soda use a pinch of salt.
Dorianmagic
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Dorianmagic
I recently bought a Tango half dollar sam which doesn't lock at all. In fact there's quite a bit of play in it. Is anyone familiar with this?
cablerock
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of cablerock
There is a thread about this already dorian just a few posts down.
ally_tac
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of ally_tac
I use steel wool for silver coins.
But do not use it on the gimmick contains magnet.
If you want to cleaned your pennies, just put the them in vinegar for a few seconds.
But I don't think the copper coins need to be cleaned or polished.Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Cleaning gimmicked coins (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL