The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Just ropes dvd`s???? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
startingout
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of startingout
Like to take the opportunity to say hello from the UK.
Just started off in using ropes, but like most, indecisive on what to choose?
As I am only a hobbyist, only perform infront of few friends family, work collegues etc, no stage or anything.
Looking around there is a magnitude of material out there, but as most on a budget, so cannot keep going out buying every dvd available. Not keen on using gimmicks, mainy impromptu, examinable materials.
Have watched some demos, the one that strikes my eye id Richard Sanders, fibre optics extended.
Just purchased, aldo colombini roped in dvd.
Some others to mention jeremy pei, but having looked this is a non examinable routine.
If any one can help and point me in the right direction, would be appreciated.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3386 Posts

Profile of Julie
You might want to be on the look out for a DVD of George Sands.

His son has re-issued his books and VHS.

Julie
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22445 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
As you said, you cannot afford to keep going out and buying DVD's and such. You have the one everyone is "on board" with so you can stop and just learn Fiber Optics. That is all you need.

If you just have to spend your "budget money" then look at Daryl's complete course on rope magic on DVD.

Daryl's Expert Rope Magic Made Easy, Vol. 1-2-3.

http://www.daryl.net/category.php?cat_id=80

There is only one other magicians rave about, salvano.

http://www.stevensmagic.com/index.php?ma......d=112018

get the Enclopedia of Rope Magic by Stewart James.

These above items mentioned should keep you busy for about 3 years of learning and practicing rope magic.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1310 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
I started of with Fiber optics. This is a great routine people love it. But I did feel it was just those moves and adding or changing any thing was hard. So I got Daryl 3 DVD set. This not only add lot o it. Also gAve me lots of other stuff.

also the book Abbott encyclopaedia of rope magic is well worth it as well.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Daryl's "Expert Rope Magic Made Easy" is a three DVD set which is the absolute best rope magic instructional videos ever made.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
startingout
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of startingout
Hello
Just to say thankyou for the replys plenty food for thought, again a big thanks for taking the time to reply...
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Unfortunately so many guys have used Sands work that you wind up using his. Fortunately, those who use Sands in routines, have a better tutorial of his work than George or his son left us.
Daryl is my choice but his is other peoples' work done well.

I have Dances with Ropes plus an original rope DVD available.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
magicdano
View Profile
Regular user
Danny Habel
145 Posts

Profile of magicdano
I just saw a lecture at Ring 96 by Phil Van Tee. He has an excellant DVD out and has good patter with it. The DVD is not fancy but has a few great rope trick on it.
philvantee
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
4 Posts

Profile of philvantee
Thanks, Dan, for the positive mention. To say that the DVD is not fancy is an understatement.
I do, however, look forward to hearing if you are able to follow, learn from, and eventually end up using any of that material. I use every bit of it myself.

To, "startingout", I took note of your hoped for aspects, including 'examinable materials'.
Made me think of a routine called "Lightning Link" (and subsequent "Lightning Unlink") that I found in an old 'Pallbearer's Review' (October 1973, and, later, simplified in March 1974 issue - page 719).
I discovered it in a detailed search of old Magic Castle Library periodicals.

It is minimal, quick and direct. I use it all the time, and there is nothing hidden or extra other than a ring and one piece of rope.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1470 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
I like to point out the dvd from salvano called SALVANO ROPES vol.9 the greater magic video library. his gracefull manner makes the ropes blend together.
for some magical rifenement look for this dvd, at steven magic symposium.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I would also suggest the two volume Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Throw in the Stewart James book, the Karl Fulves book, the Tarbell course and we just about have this subject covered.
LeoH
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of LeoH
I have just about all of the above resources. If I could only choose one, it would be Fiber Optics Extended.
madelaine
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of madelaine
You may find Tabary's 'Rope magic of Tabary':vols 1 and 2 - available on the one dvd....generally available ....has a European under-statement about it...plus, some first class acting/presentation. I find his teaching clear, simple and straight-forward.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
In 1946, I read Ralph W. Hull's "Fifteen Minutes With A Piece of Rope", and have used some of that material ever since.
--Hull wasn't 'just a card man'!

Later that year, Roy Shrimplin tipped me the work on Ovette's "Repeat Knots". --This requires a minor pre-set, but when the effect is over, the rope is 'clean'. Abbott still sells this.

In 1951, I traded a guy a vanishing knot (from HULL) for the "Mosquito" or as I call it now: the "Norwegian YO YO". Denny Loomis included me doing it in his "Knot Routine" tape (which is well worth studying.)

in 1954,Jack Chanin and I had a session on rope, and I've used some of that material since! It has been in my lecture for years.

In 1959, I bought ($1.00) Professor's Nightmare from old friend Gene Gordon. It didn't get into the show until 1971, but it has been 'in' ever since.

I occasionally use parts of George Sand's Ropesational, in my ILLUSION routine.

The above 'stuff' has helped me make a living all my life. The only set up is for the Ovette knot. (5 seconds)

Occasionally, I use the 'ONE TWO ONE' rope, but that's a gaffed item and wont fit the OP's needs.
For several years, I used a version of Ken Allen's "If You Like It". --Great bit,(combination of Germaine's c/r and Victor's c/r, etc.) but needs some set up.

I think that most of the material in Hull's 15 Minutes is covered very well by Daryl. Yes, it's a compilation of "old stuff', but Daryl does an excellent job. He gets it 'all' in those tapes! (Well, almost all!)

I hope that this is helpful.

I've enjoyed Tabary's routine and the new Sander's bit, but I aint gonna change NOW!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2722 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On 2013-02-20 16:42, philvantee wrote:

To, "startingout", I took note of your hoped for aspects, including 'examinable materials'.
Made me think of a routine called "Lightning Link" (and subsequent "Lightning Unlink") that I found in an old 'Pallbearer's Review' (October 1973, and, later, simplified in March 1974 issue - page 719).
I discovered it in a detailed search of old Magic Castle Library periodicals.

It is minimal, quick and direct. I use it all the time, and there is nothing hidden or extra other than a ring and one piece of rope.

Possibly not the same, but I found 2 tricks by those exact names in Fulves' The Magic Book. Attributed to A Kojima: "The ends of a piece of rope are openly and genuinely knotted together. Holding the rope in one hand and a ring in the other, the magician causes the ring to instantly link itself onto the center of the rope"

Fulves' apparently worked out a variation that allows both a linking and an unlinking. I've not tried these, do you have a video clip of this?

John

Posted: May 5, 2013 4:49pm
"cannot keep going out buying every dvd available"

So I would recommend that you buy DVD's that are spelled B O O K s

Wilson's Complete Course, Fulve's Self Working Rope Magic, Ency. of Rope Tricks if your really excited about rope magic (which is a compilation of the 3 individual volumes Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks; the Tarbell series also has a lot of rope magic.

You will get sooooo much more magic this way, but you will need to work on developing your own routining.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
If we are going to name our favorite rope references I must add Shigeo Takagi, John Guastaferro, and the great George Sands too.
frankvomit
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of frankvomit
[quote]On 2012-08-31 18:01, Bill Hegbli wrote:
As you said, you cannot afford to keep going out and buying DVD's and such. You have the one everyone is "on board" with so you can stop and just learn Fiber Optics. That is all you need.

If you just have to spend your "budget money" then look at Daryl's complete course on rope magic on DVD.

Daryl's Expert Rope Magic Made Easy, Vol. 1-2-3.

http://www.daryl.net/category.php?cat_id=80

There is only one other magicians rave about, salvano.

http://www.stevensmagic.com/index.php?ma......d=112018

get the Enclopedia of Rope Magic by Stewart James.

These above items mentioned should keep you busy for about 3 years of learning and practicing rope magic.
[/quo

would just like to add that I bought Daryl's set the downloads at Morresey magic it is and incredible set. if you buy that and fibreoptics that should give you all the info you need to create your own thing. one thing that should be mentioned is fibreoptics is an already established routine so there is not a whole lot you can do with it by itself without it not looking like fibreoptics. but (and this is what I'm working on) I you can take some of fibreoptics and blend it with some of Daryls ideas I think you can come up with something quite orrigional with your own signature on it which is one of things about magic that I have the most fun with. mish mashing thins together to make something that's mine or as close to being mine as possible.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5891 Posts

Profile of motown
Daryl's DVDs are excellent.
Tabary also has a few very good rope DVDs. http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/733
Pavel has a lot great rope magic on his DVD.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1742 Posts

Profile of wally
Does anyone know if the rope with four ends is on Salvanosale dvd. Thanks.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Just ropes dvd`s???? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL