The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Suspension Routine Storyline (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

AttnPls
View Profile
Special user
548 Posts

Profile of AttnPls
I've always loved big illusion routines that tell an emotional story.

I'd like to share my routine idea for the Ligtbulb suspension. If you're not familiar with this prop, it is the classic broom suspension except that the broom has been replaced with a lit florescent lightbulb.

I wanted to create a little drama using this illusion as the centerpiece and I thought that using "visible electricity" in the form of light in a bulb would be a great theatrical metaphor for both the power of the magician and romantic attraction.

The routine runs something like this: The magician meets a girl and tries to impress her. He blows up a balloon, rubs it on his hair, and places it on his outstretched hand. He makes some magic gestures and slowly turns his hand over and the balloon sticks! Ok, the girl thinks it's kinda cute, but is not very impressed.

So the magician then grabs a bare light bulb. Making a few magical gestures, the bulb begins to glow. The girl is more impressed this time. He has the girl touch the bulb -- she can obviously feel the energy too!

In the last phase, the magician brings the girl over toward a florescent lightbulb sticking up out of a platform (the bulb was a piece of "art"). He gestures and the bulb lights. He then has her come over the the bulb and feel it -- she can feel the energy here even more! He proceeds to use his electric powers to levitate her on the bulb.

I set this routine in an art gallery, with the various bulbs set up as various art installations. I also had a twister painted with a cubist Picaso-like body on the outside that was also part of my Art Gallery set. The magician made the girl into a living cubist work of art!

If somebody can use this routine idea in their show, they are welcome to build upon it. I have my lightbulb suspension and twister listed for sale in the illusions for sale forum.

I'd love to hear any suggestions about how to improve it!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Suspension Routine Storyline (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.41 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL