The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Menatlism, a full list? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1772 Posts

Profile of SIX
In card magic, well, magic in general really there is what people say are the only effects possible. (Vanish, Transposition, appearance and etc) I cant remember the direct source of this but for me it was incredibly helpful. The card magic one includes, Color Change (deck, card), Transposition, Torn and Restored...etc.

Im curious to see if there was ever one made for Mentalism. I think it deserves its own respect and shouldnt fall under the magic catergory. Is there such a list, if not maybe we should try to piece one together? Any resource would be great. Either of the above examples would be worthy.

In example we can start with Predictions, Picture Duplications but this may also fall under predictions in some way or "Direct" Mind reading. This is why I ask you all, the ones who know best.

Thanks guys and look forward to hearing from you all.

Best,

Michael
PaulPacific
View Profile
Special user
Yes, I used my toes to type all of my
907 Posts

Profile of PaulPacific
Telepathy

Clairvoyance

Precognition

Psychokinesis
Blessings on thee, little man,
barefoot boy with cheeks of tan...
Outward sunshine; inward joy,
Blessings on thee, barefoot boy! :-D
Inert
View Profile
Special user
Babbled incessantly for
683 Posts

Profile of Inert
Great thread idea Michael. I'd add Pyrokinesis, Hydrokinesis & Healing. It could get tricky defining categories & sub-groups.
AttnPls
View Profile
Special user
554 Posts

Profile of AttnPls
From Wikipedia's page on Parapsychology:

Telepathy: Transfer of information on thoughts or feelings between individuals by means other than the five classical senses.
Precognition: Perception of information about future places or events before they occur.
Clairvoyance: Obtaining information about places or events at remote locations, by means unknown to current science.
Psychokinesis: The ability of the mind to influence matter, time, space, or energy by means unknown to current science.
Near-death experiences: An experience reported by a person who nearly died, or who experienced clinical death and then revived.
Reincarnation: The rebirth of a soul or other non-physical aspect of human consciousness in a new physical body after death.
Apparitional experiences: Phenomena often attributed to ghosts and encountered in places a deceased individual is thought to have frequented, or in association with the person's former belongings.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
This has been covered here in great detail before. Try a search.
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2041 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
Michael, I think you would enjoy reading Max Maven's book, Prism. He wrote the original booklets under his old name, Phil Goldstein (don't call him Phil!).

The introduction, starting on page 3 of the hardback, contains the answer to your question and discusses working within the limits of the four basic effects in mentalism as well as the sub-categories that fall under them. He then boils down the techniques used to produce these effects to three... I won't list the techniques here. For details you could move to Inner Thoughts but you're going to want Prism anyway so I suggest buying a new or used copy. It only costs $40 retail and is a bargain. Mentalism is expensive but there are values to be found. The low price of Max's book keeps it out of the hands and minds of people otherwise desperate for something expensive, brand new, recycled or mediocre.

Mike
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1772 Posts

Profile of SIX
Quote:
On 2012-09-02 17:06, Mike Ince wrote:
Michael, I think you would enjoy reading Max Maven's book, Prism. He wrote the original booklets under his old name, Phil Goldstein (don't call him Phil!).

The introduction, starting on page 3 of the hardback, contains the answer to your question and discusses working within the limits of the four basic effects in mentalism as well as the sub-categories that fall under them. He then boils down the techniques used to produce these effects to three... I won't list the techniques here. For details you could move to Inner Thoughts but you're going to want Prism anyway so I suggest buying a new or used copy. It only costs $40 retail and is a bargain. Mentalism is expensive but there are values to be found. The low price of Max's book keeps it out of the hands and minds of people otherwise desperate for something expensive, brand new, recycled or mediocre.

Mike

Mike, thanks so much! I read Prism as a Teen, but just from place to place. Will have to order my own copy. Thank you!
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I remember Phil from Hank Lee's when they were on Lincoln St. in Boston. Yeah, I hear he can give you the death-stare if you call him "Phil". He is now Max Maven. Prism is awesome, as is Focus. The man is a genius!

Doug
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
Perth, down by the cool of the pool
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
If I speak forth, many a mind will shatter,
And if I write, many a pen will break.
.....and when I consider my own self, lo, I find it coarser than clay!
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1772 Posts

Profile of SIX
Thanks guys Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Menatlism, a full list? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL