The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Crown Jewels (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3622 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Would it be appropriate to perform the "Crown Jewels" with a princess theme at a senior citizens center?

Thanks,

Jim
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1876 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Is that the same one Prince Andrew did at Vegas? If so, no. *G*
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3622 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I don't know, the seniors would probably like that. But I doubt if I could afford him.

Jim
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
Only 99% of users have more than
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
Is "Crown Jewels" the one that is basically a variation of the "Pizza Oven" with a round "diamond" instead of a pizza?

I've worked a lot of retirement homes and older groups.

It may be something about being a clown and them remembering their childhood but they seem to respond well to most of the stuff I do in my kids shows.

Sucker tricks get an indulgent smile instead of them yelling out but the shock and fun of the reveal is as strong as it is with the kids.

I'd omit things like the magic coloring book but I do things like the Pizza Oven and Break Away Wands. Seniors are an audience. So, they behave like any audience.

One thing I found is that after the show if I will just stay and talk to them and LISTEN to their stories they LOVE me.

I have a standing gig at an assisted living facility. Each month I go and do a combined birthday party for all the people. What really sealed the deal for the activities director was the residents saying how much they "liked that clown" because I stayed an extra 30 min. and listened to stories about their first trip to the circus, their deceased husband who was a rodeo clown, and stuff like that.
Click for Free Resources for Performers

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3622 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Yep Curt, that's it. I just wondered if the princess theme to the trick would be "talking down" to them.

I do a lot of stuff they really like - silk productions, 20th century silks, torn and restored newspaper, milk to light bulb to music (Sinatra).

Jim
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
Only 99% of users have more than
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
I would definitely do the Crown Jewels.

But, when you book a clown there is a certain amount of tongue in cheek fun expected.

I've also worked a lot with older groups out of clown (and not as a performer) that age LOVE the fun and silliness of the performances.

Do the Crown Jewels and don't worry about it.

Here is a little game I play, I look for the crankiest old guy with his arms crossed and a frown on (someone who looks like Jeff Dunham's puppet Walter). I then make it a game to see if I can get him to smile before I leave. More than half the time he ends up being the one who talks to me the longest after the show.

Good luck with your show.
Click for Free Resources for Performers

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3286 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Good Thread, Good Advice

Thanks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Crown Jewels (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL