The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Base questions??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicJim
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of MagicJim
I have just purchased the smoke chamber illusion. I wanted to make this illusion or part of it (the base) very practical and use it often. It is not ok to use the fog machine in all locations.

Can I use that as a base for a doll house illusion? I wanted to construct the doll house part myself.
What are your thoughts?
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
881 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
Generally this line of thinking, while initially seeming to be practical, is not a good one.

The design aspects of a good illusion are a combination of many, many subtle components that work in concert with one another. The proportions that are correct for one illusion would be completely wrong for another. There may be some exceptions but by and large it's just not a good idea.

Take a look at Dennis Loomis' Doll House illusion DVD and you'll see a well-conceived principle for a Doll House base. It would never work for a smoke chamber, and this is because it needs the house itself to work together with it to be effective.

The problem with most do-it-yourself illusionists is that they have little, if any, training and thorough understanding of the design principles that make an illusion "deceptive". I actually hate that word as a descriptor of an illusion because ultimately it betrays the many components that actually make an illusion work. It puts all the pressure on the prop, really negating the need for an illusionist. Understanding the subtleties of a prop really should be a basis from which a presentation is developed; the presentation compliments the prop and vice versa. When this fails to be taken into account, we get a world full of box-pushers with all too few illusionists.

You wouldn't out a Ferrari body on a Ford F-150 chassis, so why would you put a doll house on a smoke chamber base?
MagicJim
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of MagicJim
Well said. Thanks for your comment.
cc-magic
View Profile
New user
las vegas
89 Posts

Profile of cc-magic
If the base is deceptive and already has enough load space, changing the production cabinet (the glass box for smoke chamber or doll's house) will not ruin the illusion. However, the smoke chamber is tall, taking the eyes upward and away from the load space. A doll's house will be smaller and less able to distract the eyes from the "table".

I believe that a good base could be adapted as you desire.
Sorcerer
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Sorcerer
Quote:
On 2012-09-07 03:24, cc-magic wrote:
I believe that a good base could be adapted as you desire.

Sorry to disagree. A good base it's not good by itself, it works in conjunction with the box resting over it. The true "interchangeable" "multipurpose" base doesn't exists, it's a myth
RVH Magic
View Profile
Special user
877 Posts

Profile of RVH Magic
[/quote]
Sorry to disagree. A good base it's not good by itself, it works in conjunction with the box resting over it. The true "interchangeable" "multipurpose" base doesn't exists, it's a myth
[/quote]

I have seen a very effective "interchangeable" "multipurpose" base and it can be very practical if used and designed right.
Sorcerer
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Sorcerer
When I tell "interchangeable" or "multipurpose" base I'm refering to a vastly extended concept that exists some kind of universal base which can be used in most of illusions, that's the myth Smile (even could be some creditable exceptions like the James Hodges' "Universal")

I've seen bases that could fit a few similar props which share some design features. RVH, are you talking about one of these?
RVH Magic
View Profile
Special user
877 Posts

Profile of RVH Magic
Quote:
I've seen bases that could fit a few similar props which share some design features. RVH, are you talking about one of these?

The one I saw was used in a very clever way.
The audience didn't notice that the same base was used twice in the same show thanks to the clever design features like first using it as a low base for a flambé style illusion & later by adding adding a framework with the legs attached to it and a box on top as a shadow box.
This thinking is way more advanced that just using a low base with different boxes on top like the one that was available a few years back.
Sorcerer
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Sorcerer
I find interesting this idea you say. Varying the height of the base, adding or removing the legs, might make it look quite different. Could you share some pics, please? Thanks! Smile
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1723 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Ken Whitalker from Creative Illusions has sold in the past a multipurpose level base for different illusions. The idea wasn't bad at all but I have to agree with Frank, it won't really work well when used on different illusions in the same show. Each illusion has it's own deception due to it's own base design. Frank gave a very good exemple with the Doll House illusion.

Oliver.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Base questions??? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL