The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Crystal Casket verses Smoke Chamber (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicJim
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of MagicJim
I own a large version of the smoke chamber. I have never seen the crystal casket up close.
The smoke chamber is vertical and the crystal casket is more horizontal.
I believe the crystal casket uses a cloth of some kind to aid in the reveal. The smoke chamber uses smoke, of course, to aid in the reveal.

It is not always practical or it is not always allowable for the magician to use a fog machine in all locations. So I thought it might be ok to use a cloth of some sort for a reveal for the smoke chamber.
Is this something that anyone has ever done or seen performed?
The smoke chamber illusion is over 6' tall plus the base. It is close to 8'-9' in height overall. Is this something that is workable...to use a cloth of some kind?
I would appreciate any thoughts.
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Well if you think about it basically they are the same illusion one uses a cloth and one uses smoke

crystal casket can be done a bit faster then a smoke chamber due to having to wait for the cover of the smoke,

as to your question using a cloth with the smoke chamber verses smoke
I am on the fence as to whether it would look right.

in theory I think it works just fine just need to work out the details of how the cloth will drop in to place and then snatched away

but my first thought is if you have 2 assistants take a large cloth and cover the whole chamber and then wisk it away for the reveal I think it would play very nicely.

just my thoughts
sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
sb
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of sb
If you do it with the smoke, you should certainly have a backup cloth on hand, and have rehersed the illusion with the cloth..... all as a back up, for the one time the smoke machine fails (and if you perform it enough, it will fail sooner or later....)

-sb
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
881 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
Many years ago I saw two back-to-back performances of David Copperfield's show which opened with the (then-new) smoke chamber. The first performance went off without a hitch, but the second performance the fogger failed. There was a cloth cover at the ready on the floor which the two assistants took up after only a second's hesitation. It worked, but it wasn't as impressive as the smoke had been earlier. However, I doubt that those who had not seen the previous performance had any idea that they'd missed out on anything.

It is not as graceful to cover a vertical chamber as it is to cover a reclined casket, so I would still find the Crytal Casket to be the preferable one for use with a cloth cover.
Sorcerer
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Sorcerer
Hi MagicJim

You can use a cloth in a vertical transparent box. Maybe you can do something similar to Nathan Burton's "Barbie illusion"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT8OV9iSpxY&t=22s

Best Regards Smile
MagicJim
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of MagicJim
Looks good! Thanks for your input everyone.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Crystal Casket verses Smoke Chamber (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL