We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How to read cards with Palmistry! (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tate
View Profile
Loyal user
NC
211 Posts

Profile of Tate
A few weeks ago I had a call from someone wanting a fortuneteller for a Halloween party. I told the client that I did palm readings. She said that what she really wanted was someone to read playing cards.

"Sure, I can do that, too", I said to her, lying through my teeth. But I knew that Richard Webster had published a "shut-eye" book on card readings and that I could learn his method. Well, although I learned his method, I just didn't feel comfortable with it. I just kept comparing it to things I know from palmistry. Then it hit me - I'd convert the mounts and lines of Palmistry into playing cards!

For an Ace, I'm using the mount under the first finger. For the Two, the mount under the second. And so on, switching to lines when I run out of mounts. Oh, and I didn't change the court cards, they stay the same as in Webster's book.

For the suits, I decided that each suit would represent a different amount of the mount/line's trait. Spades would be too much, Hearts would be an abundence, Diamonds would be just right, and Clubs would be an absence of the trait.

For example, the index finger (Jupiter) traits are leadership, pride, etc. So the Ace of Spades would be someone who is overly controlling. The Ace of Hearts is a natural leader. Ace of Diamonds shows someone who has leadership abilities, but doesn't seek the spotlight. And the Ace of Clubs shows someone who works well in teams or groups.

This method works pretty well, except when the same card in spades and clubs fall next to each other! How can someone have both too much and too little? Well, I'm working on that. Any suggestions?

Also, I try to use mnemonics whenever I can, to help learn these systems. Here is something I worked up to help remember the meanings of the mounts. The mounts and fingers are named after (Greek or Roman?) gods and I had trouble remembering the traits associated with each.

So I used the first few letters in each name as an acronym. The first is JUPiter - Joy, Upward ambition, Pride. Next is SATurn - Solitude, Analytical, Taciturn. The third is APOllo - Artistic, Pleasure, Ostentation. MERCury - Mechanical, Eloquent, Resourceful, and Commercial. I took a few liberties in choosing words for the traits, but they're close.

Has anyone else "cross pollenated" their reading systems?
zeroG
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of zeroG
I think Richard would be very proud of you!
Much of what I have read by him encourages the use of one system for another. I think you are well on your way to developing a unique form of divination.
I personally like beard reading:
By the length, color and texture I can see that you are a very inovative thinker, with a creative approach to problem solving!
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2945 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Definitely something to think about and play around with, Tate, thanks for sharing!

And can you do a reading for me zeroG?

:comply:
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1264 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Too good, Tate! You should have saved this for your book. But thanks for sharing!

Steve Smile Smile Smile Smile
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
Tate
View Profile
Loyal user
NC
211 Posts

Profile of Tate
Well, now I've changed the court cards somewhat. I use real people and fictional characters to help associate the traits of the court cards. That way, I don't have to remember the specific traits - I just describe that person. One of the Kings was Snape from the Harry Potter series. I had not yet decided on the people for Jacks - they need to be young people of either sex.

It was just too easy and I couldn't resist - the Jacks now are Draco, Hermoine, Harry, and Ron. Now, I'm thinking about changing the other face cards into HP characters, too.

Just wanted to post how things went at my first card reading. The method (cards representing lines in hand) worked out very well. For practice, I made a set of flash cards. I printed the lines and mounts of the hand onto labels and stuck them on the back of an old deck. A few minutes practice over the course of a few days helped me learn the meanings quickly.

This was my first real experience at readings. I was amazed at the reaction of some of the sitters. This was a party of (mostly) professional people and I was dressed in a green satin wizard's robe. So, I didn't expect to be taken very seriously. And while some took their readings as entertainment, some took them quite seriously. And it was easy to see which was which. Sometimes their attitudes changed after the first few cards were read - I had hit the bullseye in the first minute. One sitter actually told me that he had a problem and was looking for answers. I narrowed it down pretty quickly that the problem was his girlfriend.

Well, I just wanted to let everyone know how it went. And to thank everyone for their help.

Tate
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How to read cards with Palmistry! (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL