The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Is there a limit on how many different character voices one can do? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MT
View Profile
Elite user
408 Posts

Profile of MT
Terry Fator can do 100's I'm sure, but I really don't think I can do more than 2 or 3. And even the 2 or 3 sound a little similar. Taken Pat Fraley's character workshop even. A number of vents have tried to help me, but to no avail.

I was talking to a vent at the convention and even though he's been doing it for a while he can only do 2-3 voices too. He tried doing more but they just weren't distinct.

I'm starting to think that this multiple voice thing is more of a talent thing (something you're born with or at least have the potential to develop) while others no matter how much they try would be lucky to pull off 2-3 different voices. This kind of limits me to some degree as I can't have too many puppets in my show otherwise they all sound the same. (For the life of me I really can't do a female voice at all so none of my puppets are female).

Can anyone relate with me or am I kinda alone on this one?
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
No, you are not alone.
For starters, I found I could no way do a female voice that I found convincing. I had bought a really nice female figure from Kem Poyner that I really liked a lot, and I couldn't use it. I soo hated to sell that figure, but there was no point in keeping it.
As for the number of voices, I'm sure the number can vary greatly depending on who you ask. I currently have three distinct voices I can do and a fourth one I call a generic voice because I've used it for at least a few different figures.
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html

"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
KeithS
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of KeithS
I've discussed this somewhere on another thread around here, but, as a trained actor, I can actually do a bunch of different voices, including some accents, but only when my lips are moving. BUT, when doing ventriloquism, and my lips aren't moving, I can only do 2 maybe 3 voices. Interesting.
Aussie
View Profile
Special user
Australia
623 Posts

Profile of Aussie
I have only MJ for a reason Smile
Australia's Most Original Ventriloquist

http://www.ladymaceentertainment.com
Steve Petra
View Profile
Regular user
New York
195 Posts

Profile of Steve Petra
Everyone has limitations. Some vocal performers have less limitations than others. There are ways of increasing your range of vocal characterizations. I am particulaly fond of Pat Fraley's character voice CD's. The more you know about what specific vocal elements go into a particular voice, the greater the potential for bringing variations to those elements and thereby increasing your range.
Muppet performer Jerry Nelson died last week. Very sad to see such a wonderful person and exceptional voice artist leave us. Jim Henson thought him to be a remarkablely gifted voice talent with a range beyond most.
All of the very best voice artists will remind you - It's not just a voice, it's a character.
Ony Carcamo
View Profile
Special user
Manila, PHILIPPINES
608 Posts

Profile of Ony Carcamo
Quote:
On 2012-09-04 19:21, Steve Petra wrote:

All of the very best voice artists will remind you - It's not just a voice, it's a character.

Well said, Steve. In his instructional DVD, Paul Winchell taught us how to do different voice "characters," not necessarily using many voices. He mentioned something about pitch, pacing, etc. In fact I listened to his figure Tessie's voice, and compared it to Jerry's and his own voice and I noticed they all sounded the same, but the voice characters were different. I also noticed that Jay Marshall's voice and his puppet Lefty's both sounded the same.

I can only do 3-4 voices comfortably.
Ony Carcamo
PHILIPPINES

www.onycarcamo.com
MT
View Profile
Elite user
408 Posts

Profile of MT
Thanks for chiming in fellas. I was beginning to feel like I was the only one that faced this issue.

Obviously, it's always good to challenge yourself and see what other voices you can do, but also accept your limitation (at least I speak for myself) and just do the best with what you have.

KeithS, I hear you on the lips not moving part. It's quite a bit easier to create different sounds when moving the lips.

For the life of me, I've tried to do the baby cry and distant voice and I seem to be limited there too. Gosh, I wish I can do more, but I might be at my limit, which is nice to know also.
KeithS
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of KeithS
Hi MT,

Good discussion. I used to do the baby cry in my act, but I don't anymore. As far as the distant voice is concerned, I may be in the minority, but I'm just not interested in doing it. This, of course, may be due to the fact that I'm not that good at it! However, I know that if I were interested in doing it, I'd work hard at developing it. I am amazed how good some vents can do it, and I'm always impressed when a good vent seamlessly integrates it in his/her act. But, I just don't think it's the "holy grail" of ventriloquism that some make it out to be.

This may be a bit off topic, but I think relevant. Yesterday, I listened to Jay Johnson's talk on Vent Central, and it was refreshing to hear him say something to the effect that ventriloquism is not brain surgery, and perhaps not as difficult as some make it out to be. I have always maintained this. This is NOT to say that to be really good, one does not need to work hard at it. As with any skill, of course this is so. To become proficient at anything, we must work hard at it. But, as far as vent is concerned (and I'd say something similar about acting), there are only a few skills we need to know and master: lip control, character, puppet manipulation, and material. All great vents have all these down. Again, to become really good at these skills, one must put in the time and effort, and continue to improve. Anyway, just a few thoughts.
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Quote:
On 2012-09-05 08:01, KeithS wrote:
Hi MT,

Good discussion. I used to do the baby cry in my act, but I don't anymore. As far as the distant voice is concerned, I may be in the minority, but I'm just not interested in doing it. This, of course, may be due to the fact that I'm not that good at it! However, I know that if I were interested in doing it, I'd work hard at developing it. I am amazed how good some vents can do it, and I'm always impressed when a good vent seamlessly integrates it in his/her act. But, I just don't think it's the "holy grail" of ventriloquism that some make it out to be.

This may be a bit off topic, but I think relevant. Yesterday, I listened to Jay Johnson's talk on Vent Central, and it was refreshing to hear him say something to the effect that ventriloquism is not brain surgery, and perhaps not as difficult as some make it out to be. I have always maintained this. This is NOT to say that to be really good, one does not need to work hard at it. As with any skill, of course this is so. To become proficient at anything, we must work hard at it. But, as far as vent is concerned (and I'd say something similar about acting), there are only a few skills we need to know and master: lip control, character, puppet manipulation, and material. All great vents have all these down. Again, to become really good at these skills, one must put in the time and effort, and continue to improve. Anyway, just a few thoughts.

Hi Keith,
I would add to your list enunciation. I have seen YouTube Vids of vents I couldn't understand. I am not a vent but love ventriloquism. As a fan of vent I like to understand what a figure is " saying " and not have to guess or fill in blanks.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
TheDummyDoctor
View Profile
New user
U S A
76 Posts

Profile of TheDummyDoctor
I think the most important key to developing voices (or doing impressions) is to train your ears. Like Keith, I am actor first, and ventriloquist second. I approach the characters I develop in both of those worlds by listening to quirks and nuances in the everyday speech of 'regular' people. I am a confirmed, dyed-in-the-wool "people watcher".

If you take time to observe, you'll discover that right there is the starting point for an almost unlimited number of potential 'characters' ... you may not realize it in the moment, but you are probably already interacting with some great character possibilities every single day. Just spend an hour in your local Walmart--it's a goldmine of character ideas. LOL
-------

Alan Semok, Ph.D (honoris causa)

THE DUMMY DOCTOR

Building Pro Vent Figures since 1966

web: www.AlanSemok.com/dummies
KeithS
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of KeithS
Quote:
On 2012-09-05 10:56, TheDummyDoctor wrote:
Just spend an hour in your local Walmart--it's a goldmine of character ideas. LOL

So true, Alan!
Joseph_Then
View Profile
Special user
747 Posts

Profile of Joseph_Then
Watch the Muppets Show, watch Sesame Street series, watch Barney, watch The Transformers, watch any cartoons that the kids watch today and the past.

I'm sure you will find some voices that you will like for your puppets. That's how I find a couple of voices for some of my puppets.
MT
View Profile
Elite user
408 Posts

Profile of MT
I love Axtell's platypus and the song but I have difficulty mimicking that voice so after the song is over I'm afraid I can't vent the platypus otherwise people will clearly know its a different voice.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Is there a limit on how many different character voices one can do? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL