The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Rubber Bowling Pins!! Wow! These things look AWSOME (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1387 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
A few months ago I released rubber bowling pins. I didn't love them, and stopped selling them. I latex wasn't smooth enough and there was a seam that made them look less like a bowling pin than I think they should have been.

However.. after a TON of reseach.. and spending a ton of money on R&D and talking to a LOT of companies... I found a place that could make the Rubber Bowling Pins I've always DREAMED of...

These are SMOOTH. These are SHINY. These are SEAMLESS. I send them a REAL bowling pin.. and said I want one JUST LIKE THIS. And they did what I asked.. it's been MONTHS in the making. But these are SOFT... like a Neilsen Champagne Bottle.. and they fold pretty small for something that opens 15" tall and 5" in diameter!!!

Yes.. you can do anything with these that you can do with a Neilsen Bottle.. but it's HUGE... and it's a BOWLING PIN!!!

I have ONE preliminary picture.. but the angle has distorted the shape of the bowling pin.. it was cast off a real one.. so it's shaped and looks like a real Bowling Pin.

http://wackomagic.blogspot.com/2012/09/w......tly.html

The price will be competitive to a Neilsen prop about the same size.. and they weren't inexpensive to make... but they're SO BEAUTIFUL.. I had 4 samples sent to me before they got the softness and the speed of expansion correct... and they finally did.. and the printing isn't a sticker.. it's EMBEDDED into the vinyl... so it can't scrape off.

The due date for retail sale will be about the end of October/ Middle of December...

I WILL BE WHOLESALING THESE.. .SO IF YOU OWN A MAGIC SHOP.. GET IN TOUCH. These are a limited run.. and I don't think I'll ever have a second batch made.. so get them while you can.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5699 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
In the photo of the IMX convention, what is that large crate looking thing?
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3486 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
That is the ACME Crate that Wily Coyote lives in of course.
Not really, it was a stack of metal storage shelves to hold the stock, and clever Michael faux painted a hunk of canvas to make it look just like a cartoon crate… how cool is that? Actually, he made everything for the booth, table cloths, light up hanging sign, costumes. Wait ‘till you see his Magic Love booth!

Walt

PS The new bowling pins are soooo cool!
“Tales of Enchantment: The Art of Magic”
by Walt Anthony
www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com

"spinning tales and weaving enchantment"
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
So It's a 20" Ketchup bottle?

I would like to see a good routine using this bowling pin. To me it looks awkward to use, but I'm willing to look at a vanishing bowling pin routine.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
724 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
I think it would be great to use along with the bowling ball from briefcase trick.
Bob.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2012-09-05 09:58, Dr. Delusion wrote:
I think it would be great to use along with the bowling ball from briefcase trick.
Bob.

Now see, that's good thinking! Just because it's made like the bottles doesn't mean it has to disappear. I used to use an Owen watermelon in combination with the bowling ball from briefcase. Ball came first and was dropped on the floor. Impossible enough. Then the watermelon came next. You've already proven the ball is solid and no one expects you to drop a watermelon. Smile

The pin looks great, even in the distorted photo.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3486 Posts

It was inspired by thinking about the Bowling Ball from pad or case, that trick always seemed to need a ta-da moment after the stunned salience.

It of course can be used for any catsup bottle type routine,
or in place of a wine/champagne bottle production from foulard.
Even to make a “real” pin appear on a kid’s back.

It’s not a “trick” …it’s a utility device that can appear, vanish, transition…
anything you can create with traditional or nontraditional thinking.

Michael is *thinking * of including a few presentation suggestions with the prop, ask him if he’s going to or not,

Magically, Walt
by Walt Anthony

Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3643 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I can see some of you are working up to the over sized Bowling Trophy production.

-Mary Mowder
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Mary
A bowling pin production finishes when the wooden bowling pin bounces off the floor.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1853 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
I always thought a multiplying bowling pin trick would be great (like the wine bottles) however no one ever made them.

So how many can you produce of these rubber pins in a case?

How much room do the need to expand???

Could this be used with Kevin James Bowl-A-Rama behind the pad?? How many would fit?? A great add on I totally agree!! However, before anyone bought a set of 12 of these I think we would need more pictures and of course a short video of a few popping out being produced. I am sure they are great but it could get expensive buying a set without ever seeing one first.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3067 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Kevinr,

It strikes me that ten would be enough. I guess the other two would be spares.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1823 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
I just wish they matched the bowling pin production I have . . .
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1853 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Quote:
On 2012-09-09 01:02, KC Cameron wrote:
I just wish they matched the bowling pin production I have . . .

Which is???
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1387 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
I could have fit THREE bowling pins in this bad witout really affecting how flat it folded...

The guy who manages the publicity for my store will probably have me take the video down.. but I wanted you all to have a SUPER BASIC look at what one can do with this on short notice in the back of the shop... I had a friend who wanted to see the Pin.. and this was what I came up with in LITERALLY 5 seconds.. With a trader Joe's bag leftover from a party.. and 4 seconds of prep

http://wackomagic.blogspot.com/2012/09/a......ill.html

Don't expect the video to stay up for long... so sorry
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Mike at Wacko Magic has done it again.

I have played with this new rubber bowling pin. It is awesome. I have shown this trick to a few magicians. They never thought it was a rubber pin. I even messaged Mike to tell him he should stop saying its a rubber bowling pin!

Al Angello, you are a juggler, lots of routines with this... haahha
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5699 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I actually wouldn't vanish it. I think it would be funny to bring out a crumpled up paper bag, uncrumple it and remove a bowling pin. That's how I would do it! Congrats Michael on another Grand Slam...or should I say STRIKE!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1412 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Good luck with the pin. I a sure some people will have a use for it.

I wonder why you chose a bowling pin of all things you could have reproduced?

And also I do not think audiences have enough contract with real pins to believe this is a real item. So if took it out of a bag, how do you prove it is a solid pin? If it looked like something they are familiar with, they suspect it less.

When they do bowling ball from case at least you hear it. Put to pull it out from a bag might get a reaction like anything else but it effect might not last if they catch on that it is not heavy.

For instance. I have a very realistic fake rabbit. I have used it in a mini blammo box. It tricks them for a few seconds but then they see it is not moving and the effect is gone.
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2480 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
A real bowling pin weighs just over 3LBs however I doubt most people know that.
my point is how you handle the Pin once produced it needs to be handled as if it has some weight

also its to clean needs to be scuffed up to look like a real pin. the first thing I would do is scuff it up and put some marks on it.

second I might actually produce a REAL pin and drop on the floor as a sight gag and then produce this one as more of a magic effect.

of course producing a REAL bowling ball and then this pin would make it a convincer (is that even a word)
but again its to clean looking for me.

I am a bowler and I have never seen a pin look that clean except for the display one in the office. meaning most lay people will only see dirty pins.

just a thought

by the way it does look really really good and I most likely will get me one!!

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3486 Posts

Sam! Congrats on your out of the box thinking. Yes, it *should* be scuffed up (I think a little brown paste shoe polish applied carefully with a Q-tip might do the trick.)

If Michael sent out scuffed old looking pins though.. just think of how crazy his customers would get and how many refunds would be demanded LOL! Some guys just want everything to look brand spanking new, so to each his own.

And again Sam you are correct, though this is a versatile prop, its first tiny glimmer of thought was as a finish for the bowling ball production, so that makes for the *convincer* as you said.

--------

Christopher! Again you got a great idea, what a hoot to have it appear from a crumpled bag (or maybe your magical thinking is just dyslectic?) How about producing it from a bowling shoe? Or crumpled bowling scoring sheets?

--------

PowerMagic,

Your point that is should/must be handled as if it is heavy is totally right! Aa little acting/mime goes a long was as a sell.

See above for “why a bowling ball.” I personally don’t see a need to *prove* anything, have you used Neilson/Weller -- beer/coke/catsup/champagne bottles? You can't prove them. but audiences eat that magic up. Maybe you could switch out a real one and break if over someone's head? I also IMHO tend to think bowling is almost as ubiquitous as a base ball bat.

I don’t quite understand your reference to a fake bunny, bunnies are supposed to move (unless they’re dead) so of course if it doesn’t the spell is broken. The majority of bowling pins I’ve seeb are not alive, so they have no need to move to look real. Unless hit with a bowling ball?

--------

Wow guys! I bet Michael is just eating up your praise, thoughts, and ideas. The magi who have them seem to love them so far.

Magically,
Walt
by Walt Anthony

magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Power Magic,

I performed this in front of several magicians and they did not realize it was a fake bowling pin. They asked me if I could use the same method to produce 2-4 at the same time....

Mike has done an awesome job on this and I like how he took an object that is known for being solid and turned it into an awesome magic trick.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Rubber Bowling Pins!! Wow! These things look AWSOME (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL