The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Anyone skip rope? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I need to get back to do something for my fitness. I think I'm gonna get into skipping rope.

Any tips?

Right now I'm totally confused about whether to buy a weighted or unweighted rope, a leather rope with wooden handles and ball bearings, or one of those "speed ropes". I'm confused. (OK, you knew that. I'm confused about this too.)
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
I'm defiantely no expert on the kinds of rope etc, but yes, I skip rope sometimes. I use one of those speed ropes cause the are cheap, easy to adjust, available at any sporting goods store, and cheap.

Just buy a cheap rope that you can adjust to your size with swivel handlesone and jump right in! Get it? Jump right in? Get it?

It's a great workout.
FatHatter
View Profile
Regular user
I'm here you're there and that's that.
137 Posts

Profile of FatHatter
You don't need high tech for jumping rope.
Just string one up and jump over it.
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
749 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
The hours I've spent skipping.
Just go to Lonsdales' site and buy the leather one.
If they still do it,get the one with the heavier handles.The burn in the forearm is as much fun as
the the calves folding in and the suspected cardiac arrest.
Try to hold your stomach taught while on the rope.The isometric pay off to the trunk is a free gift while
skipping.
Ray.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Actually, you can just lay a string on the floor and jump back and forth over it. Work up to a rope, a larger rope, a broom stick, a 2" PVC, 4 ETC.

My experience has been that nothing, nothing, (except perhaps boxing) wears one out faster- it is truly diabolical- avoid it!!!

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I juggle clubs under my legs every day for a half an hour. It is kinda the same thing except your hands, and brain are involved.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
I do a cut and restored jump rope.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Do hula hoop instead. Post videos either way. Smile
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2012-09-08 10:21, Josh the Superfluous wrote:
Do hula hoop instead. Post videos either way. Smile

If I do a hula hoop, I'll surely post a video. But don't hold your breath.

(Jeff says, thinking to himself, "hey, if I type, 'girl hula hoop pink panties' into the YouTube search engine, will I get any hits?")
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Quote:
On 2012-09-08 09:29, Al Angello wrote:
I juggle clubs under my legs every day for a half an hour. It is kinda the same thing except your hands, and brain are involved.

Wow, do you really do that for a half hour straight?
I bet that is a good workout.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
I skip payments on my bills.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Ali was a good skipper.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Talk to any boxer you might know for advice. I generally use one of the regular ropes you will find in any sports shop. Never tried the leather or the weighted ones, but I would be willing to try. Skipping provides a great workout. I would favour a minute fast, a minute slow rather than steady skipping. But I remember my college boxing club would do up to forty five minutes continuous skipping after the summer break to get us back into shape.

I reckon with a kettlebell and a skipping rope you could get very close to maximum fitness.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-09-08 17:43, TonyB2009 wrote:
my college boxing club would do up to forty five minutes continuous skipping after the summer break to get us back into shape.

That'd do it in a hurry. Boxers are some serious cardio monsters (21st century heavyweights notwithstanding).
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Talking about serious cardio monsters: my sister once dated a wrestler, so I used to go wach him in touraments. Those guys would skip rope just to keep warm between matches.

Lobo, what's up with the 21st century heavyweights? Are they not in as good a shape as the heavyweights twenty or thirty years ago? I must admit that I kind of lost interest in boxing since moving to Germany. (Ironically, since the Klitschkos are two of the biggest celebrities in Germany. Back in the States I used to go to a lot of Golden Glove competitions to watch friends, and my dad and I never missed a fight on TV. But I was never a student of the sport.)
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Freddie Roach has a video out on conditioning that has some good rope drills.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Vincero
View Profile
Veteran user
New Zealand
379 Posts

Profile of Vincero
I used to box for fitness. Well directed training sessions got me unbelievably fit in an extremely short space of time. I guess skipping rope is enough, but I think that maximum benefit is to be reaped from a multitude of activities...

If you can get somebody (preferably more motivated than you are) to join in then make it happen; it keeps the ball rolling, so to speak.

Zac
"Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell; And in the lowest deep a lower deep
Still threat'ning to devour me opens wide, To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heav'n" -John Milton, (Paradise Lost)
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Since I'm technically single now and have no one to rush home to I'm going to try and do the boxing club at school this quarter.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Vincero
View Profile
Veteran user
New Zealand
379 Posts

Profile of Vincero
Quote:
On 2012-09-09 04:45, critter wrote:
Since I'm technically single now and have no one to rush home to I'm going to try and do the boxing club at school this quarter.

Good idea. Bring a friend.

I was so unfit when I started; it's an eye-opener.
"Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell; And in the lowest deep a lower deep
Still threat'ning to devour me opens wide, To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heav'n" -John Milton, (Paradise Lost)
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Seadog93
I can't do it non stop for a half an hour, but with a couple breaks to catch my breath I do it for a half hour. The last thing I want to look like during my show is a clumsy fat old man.

PS- I'm really a senior citizen.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Anyone skip rope? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL