The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Help with this illusion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
http://www.ripleys.com/corporate/brands/......entures/

Look at the illusion to right of where the article begins. I would like to build this for Halloween. Does anyone know the name for this and where I might get the plans. I believe Ripley's calls it Stumpy!
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
I was going to say it's a version of "Spidora", except I could't see the side edges of the mirror. That could be done with very solid support of the mirror (so there's no chance the actor's weight would crack it) and with satin "coffin lining" pleated at an angle to disguise the mirror edge. I'm tempted to say it's a company-made promo photo, so there's gotta be some Photoshop work there.

Then I saw the other photo (link below). Note the boxes behind the setup, which certainly hide the actor's body. The actor's loose-hanging (VERY loose) shirt is positioned right up against the back wall of the box, disguising the place her body must be coming through the back of the box that the viewer mis-perceives the body's angle (plus it's a skinny guy above and certainly not a heavy girl in the other photo).

See a different photo HERE

Anybody else?
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
You may well be right Ross. I can't see any tell tale lines at 45 degrees.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Looks like Spidora to me.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
No don't be daft! I see no legs atall! Smile
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
The set-up is the same, the decoration is different.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Thanks for all the help. Spidora it is.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
The illusion part of it, is also the same for Woman Without a Body. Again, the rest is in how you opt to decorate it.

www.bladewalker.com
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
I would prefer the original in my post. What is the best route to go.

Thanks,
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
To clarify my earlier post, I think you could do it either way, but I believe the way the illusion in the photo is done (and the cheapest way) is sticking the actor through the back of the box and covering the hole with a baggy shirt/vest. I think this because (a) there is no diagonal line where a mirror would be, and (b) those boxes behind the girl are quite spacious enough to hide the rest of her.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
829 Posts

Profile of Rotten
"Birth of Chloris" in "The Great Illusions of Magic" by Byron G. Wels It's a Tannens publication.

I'm sure Paul Osbourn's halloween book has the plans as well. Not sure as I no longer have that book.
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
829 Posts

Profile of Rotten
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
829 Posts

Profile of Rotten
It has little in common with a spidora besides the building materials. The predecessor to "Birth of Chloris" is the "Twister" illusion. Same concept, different design. Thank you Steven Conner for asking this question. You helped spark a fun idea and I'm going to give it a whirl.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
That is not "SPIDORA".
It's a version of the "Sphinx", the first trick "done with mirrors.
Paul Osburne calls his version "Witch Dotor's Revenge"
http://hamiltonholtinc.stores.yahoo.net/widore.html
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On 2012-09-10 15:21, ringmaster wrote:
That is not "SPIDORA".
It's a version of the "Sphinx", the first trick "done with mirrors.
Paul Osburne calls his version "Witch Dotor's Revenge"
http://hamiltonholtinc.stores.yahoo.net/widore.html

You rock. That's it.
Don Dasher
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Don Dasher
There's no mirror. It looks like the half lady on a swing illusion from way back. Can't remember the name but the performer lies on the stomach with legs pointed straight back and back arched.

It's design is similar to the mirror version that's all. The sides are simply to cut the angles. There is no mirror here, the body is in the box behind: http://lotgk.wordpress.com/2010/10/29/ri......_barker/

DD
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
I've had a close-up look at a Stumpy. It's not a Spidora; no mirror. Ross/Wayne got it right.
~Les S. Moore, The Dapper Dipper
Swami Yomahmi and Cheeky Monkey Sideshow

"Comedy is a man in trouble." ~Bill Irwin
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
No mirror; no mystery.The girl leaning over a piece of plywood look like a girl leaning over a piece of plywood. Wouldn't fool Helen Keller.
I remember Ward Hall using a Sphinx setup in a Snakegirl show thirty years back (Ellen Briskey was the girl) and no beffs even at close range. (A.K.Brill's Baby Betty Show)
Jimmy Dixon used a mirrorless setup for his three headed girl, but he added Blackart. So- so.
Spidora, which is a different setup works well close up but it's much harder to build. Ester-Lester had a nice Owen Bros unit. I've never seen Spidora presented in the origional form, which is the steps leading up to the door of a haunted house.
Another Roltar illusion worth a look, is the rarely seen Head on Two Sowards Chair.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On 2012-09-21 15:13, ringmaster wrote:
I've never seen Spidora presented in the origional form, which is the steps leading up to the door of a haunted house.

google Spidora, go to images, 3 pics in the first row using stairs. (not necessarily a haunted house though)

s
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Spidora is a spider web across a stair case.
Sphinx is a disembodied living head.

.http://www.sideshowworld.com/13-TGOD/Walt-H/Spidora-1/tgodspidora.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-anCWn2EkCo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q-SOqDQxKE&feature=relmfu
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Help with this illusion (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL