The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Why no more gaffed 808s? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Poindexta
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Poindexta
It seems to me that Bicycle would want to make money, being a company and all. I never heard an explanation as to why they decided to stop producing any sort of gaffed Standard/Rider Back cards. Anybody care to fill me in on the reasoning? Thanks in advance.
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of jlibby
As I recall, the Rider Back design is a trademark of the US Playing Card Company. They must protect their trademarks. This has made it difficult for some card trick manufacturers, but it is a prudent business decision by USPC.

Joe Libby
San Antonio, TX
My new FREE ebook on the classic Mismade Bill trick is ready for you:
https://funnybirthdayshow.com/mismadebill/
paperinick
View Profile
Inner circle
my faro is starting to look nice after
1177 Posts

Profile of paperinick
IANAL but the decision seems extremely prudent. They were the ones printing the gaffed decks, they could have an arrangement that says that the rights to the back design stays with them.
It seems like a case of copyright lawyers finding a new good customer to me. Smile
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death my right to say "scr*w you" if you persist. [Voltaire Smile]
Inert
View Profile
Special user
Babbled incessantly for
683 Posts

Profile of Inert
I'm unclear on the meaning of all this. Has the USPC company ceased printing all gaffed 808 cards for their own line and/or ceased printing for special orders in general using the Rider back?
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
They have stopped allowing gaffed BACK designs, and gaffed Ace of Spades.

This is very old news.
Inert
View Profile
Special user
Babbled incessantly for
683 Posts

Profile of Inert
Thanx for the clarification. I thought this meant something else.
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1227 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Quote:
On 2012-09-08 11:36, tomsk192 wrote:
They have stopped allowing gaffed BACK designs, and gaffed Ace of Spades.

This is very old news.

I think they also do not want anyone to mess up with their Jokers too. So no more fancy Jokers printed (e.g. for packet tricks).

mlippo
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of jlibby
Quote:
On 2012-09-08 11:12, paperinick wrote:
IANAL but the decision seems extremely prudent. They were the ones printing the gaffed decks, they could have an arrangement that says that the rights to the back design stays with them.
It seems like a case of copyright lawyers finding a new good customer to me. Smile

You are correct. Then the owners (was there a change in ownership?) realized that altering the back design in any way potentially weakened their claim on the trademark. I think they still print DBs and the like since those doesn't alter the back design.

Joe L.
My new FREE ebook on the classic Mismade Bill trick is ready for you:
https://funnybirthdayshow.com/mismadebill/
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of Tom G
They are supporting the "mandolin" decks with gaffs.
Motor City
View Profile
Special user
Metro Detroit Area
587 Posts

Profile of Motor City
Quote:
On 2012-09-08 17:18, Tom G wrote:
They are supporting the "mandolin" decks with gaffs.

That is correct. The "Mandolin" decks are "809" whereas the "Rider Back" decks are "808."
MAGIC325
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of MAGIC325
No gaffed 808. Mandolins can be gaffed .
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Really a non-issue.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
paperinick
View Profile
Inner circle
1177 Posts

Profile of paperinick
Quote:
On 2012-09-09 10:33, Atom3339 wrote:
Really a non-issue.

I disagree. You can buy 808 in bulk at CostCo. Or the legacy of existing gaffs that cannot be employed if you start mixing 808 with 809. Plus consider that the community is split between the Phoenix and the Mandolin backs now...
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death my right to say "scr*w you" if you persist. [Voltaire Smile]
DelMagic
View Profile
Special user
721 Posts

Profile of DelMagic
The number of gaffs that are still produced for the 808 Rider Backs satifies most magicians. Only gaffs that change the artwork of the back design, the ace of spades and the jokers are off-limits. This impacts very few general-use gaffs. Different colors, split faces/backs, blank face/back, double face/back, different indices, etc. are all still being produced.
jamesbond
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of jamesbond
Yes the company got sold so that's why these issues... you never know everything can change again...

Bond
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
^ DelMagic has made my point.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
paperinick
View Profile
Inner circle
1177 Posts

Profile of paperinick
Quote:
On 2012-09-11 11:58, DelMagic wrote:
The number of gaffs that are still produced for the 808 Rider Backs satifies most magicians. Only gaffs that change the artwork of the back design, the ace of spades and the jokers are off-limits. This impacts very few general-use gaffs. Different colors, split faces/backs, blank face/back, double face/back, different indices, etc. are all still being produced.

Good point. I guess I was getting too spoiled with marked decks like the UMD. Smile Gonna buy a couple of extra to keep in stock.
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
^ Same here!
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I have used non gaffed bicycle cards and been asked where I buy my "magic" cards. I would tell them Sams Club - by the dozen. They would say NO, the trick ones. So, no matter what back they have - the people who are gonna question you on your card choice still will and others will just enjoy the magic. I also use several different decks just as I use several different coins a little storytelling covers a lot
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On Sep 8, 2012, MAGIC325 wrote:
No gaffed 808. Mandolins can be gaffed .

I thought that they would still produce gaffs with the 808 Rider-backs, as long as there are no changes to the standard rider-back artwork on the reverse, or to the Ace of Spades or Jokers, since those are all trade-marked.

And now that we're a few years further from the time this thread was posted, I'm curious to learn whether Bicycle has stuck to their guns about only allowing the 808 Mandolins to be used for instances that included changes to the above mentioned cards or back design? Or have they backed down and are they again producing the full range of gaffs with rider-back cards as well? (e.g. I noticed that Ellusionist is currently selling a marked deck with altered rider-back artwork, unless this is just old stock?)

In reality it wouldn't affect that many gaffs anyway (except effects like Twilight Angel, which rely on a gimmicked card back), because effects like Invisible Deck, Svengali Deck, and many others use the standard rider-back artwork and thus wouldn't have to be printed as 809 Mandolins only.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Why no more gaffed 808s? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL