The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paul Harris Presents CLOSURE by Robert Smith (Official Trailer) (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14 [Next]
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1655 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
I don't see anyone who's wearing a tie doing this since you'd have to loosen up your tie and open your collar to reveal the ring. Just weird for a situation where you'd be wearing a tie. Though I guess you could wear the chain under your dress shirt but above your undershirt so all you have to do to reveal the ring is unbutton a couple buttons and reveal the ring on the chain, undo the chain around your neck and pull the ring on the chain out of your shirt. Still awkward.
Miraclemakers
View Profile
Special user
INA
684 Posts

Profile of Miraclemakers
This is cool, ithink I will put it in my cart
Piz
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago, IL
1351 Posts

Profile of Piz
I'm gonna buy this right now, heading over to Penguin after I type this. I just don't understand why there are not more reviews (gotta be the price), but I know if my boy Darryl is engineering these I'm gonna get a quality product.

Very excited to receive this Smile

Paul
Piz
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago, IL
1351 Posts

Profile of Piz
Just received this effect yesterday morning from Penguin, and I have to say this is one of the better purchases I have made in a while. I practiced on Closure all last night (and am about to tonight aswell), this effect is very, very clever, actually tinkering on the edge of brilliant!

The effect works as promised, very smooth and it really is stunning to do in the mirror to yourself! I only had problems with "Jamming" (if you would even call it that) with the "ONE" shirt hook-up, but in all fairness I did not play with the 1 shirt method nearly as much as I did with the option 2 hook-up (I prefer option 2, the 2 shirt set-up), so this could have been and most likely is my fault as I probably just had to adjust the fitting a bit to run smoother (I'm gonna try this method again with adjustments, I'll let you guys know how it goes).

Before receiving this, I was worried about the "connection" needed to do the vanish, and I have to say, I am very, very pleased at how smooth this can look and how quick it can be done with just a little practice. don't get me wrong, after only one night of practicing I would like it to look a little more natural on my part, but I don't see it taking much time for myself.

The biggest problem I have with Closure is with the noise of the ring on the chain when "the move" happens (there is a little bit of a tinking sound). I personally prefer Darryl Vanamburg's method of "control", it really helps with the noise, but it still does not make this totally silent (there is still a little something there). I personally would not do this in too quiet of an area, you def want some noise around you, whether a TV with the volume up a little above average, or a party situation with some music going. Maybe I'm making the "move" sound louder then what it is, I perform other effects that make louder noises then this one, so don't be discouraged by any means.

One more gripe I have is that the silver chain arrived with the Mag***t that's supposed to be secure in the chain falling out. Im hoping a little superglue can fix it, I tried Pliers but didn't pinch to hard as I'm not trying to brake the little piece that makes the chain work. I use the black chain anyway, but when that goes on me I'm gonna have to somehow fix this (like I said, I feel some Lucite or Superglue can handle this). I'm also sure it's not hard to find the chains for this (or the piece that makes it work that connects to the chain), I just havn't looked around the NET yet (my guess is the piece will run around 25-50 cents).

All in all I am extremely happy with this purchase, what you see in the Demo is exactly what you get! Closure is a true worker, once you have it on you and set up, it works beautifully, resets in seconds, and is comfortable enough on the body to proceed into other effects after your performance.

I do plan on lengthening the routine though, it's a tad short IMO, but that's simply personal opinion and taste on my part. With some imagination and thought this should be no problem to do.

Hope this helped guys

Take Care

Paul
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Has anyone done the vanish that is at 1:58 into the demo?

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2821

I did this at Thanksgiving but kept it simple with the "polish" feint.

It's an interesting feeling doing this in a room full of people. The prop does all the work, but you "feel" it and I think that is very funny as it's all hidden and looks like you did nothing. I think that's what gets people. They like to solve things ( hey, sometimes they're even correct in their guesses ). But your hands are fully exposed at all times. They can feel the ring under the shirt and lift the chain and I just think that gives them an amazing sense of wonderment.

This is a keeper. Tried and true as far as I'm concerned. And I just perform for fun.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
My only issue or concern about this is those who have seen my videos know how I must wear my uniform so if it requires me to have my shirt in any other configuration that means I wouldnt be able to use this at work.
Raymond Singson
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of Raymond Singson
Paisa, as a fellow servicemember, I can reassure you that Closure doesn't require any significant re-orientation or modification of your clothing. You just need to safety-pin a portion of the gimmick to your shoulder and you're essentially set. In my previous comments, I compared it to the classic Raven device. If you're familiar with that, I think you'll have an understanding of how the gimmick feels in uniform. I've already done this several times in cammies. Go ahead and make the purchase; you won't be disappointed.

RS.
“The purpose of art is to lay bare the questions which have been hidden by the answers.” -- James Arthur Baldwin

raymond.singson@gmail.com
drstevemagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Addicted to For Sale Forum so only have
264 Posts

Profile of drstevemagic
Great price on this now from Devin Knight. $89.95 POSTPAID!

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cm......QZC3FEF4
JD_UK
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of JD_UK
I got this and love it! I tried to make a very similar contraption myself however the way you take the necklace off is very clever.
One negative is that the device is quite noisy though. Even doing it the way that is mentioned on the DVD. I wouldn't want to do this anywhere without a lot of ambient sound.
Also mine was missing the extra ends too but that has been explained I think!
Justin Lewis
View Profile
Special user
967 Posts

Profile of Justin Lewis
Just got mine! Amazing! I did used it three times. Twice lndoors, the noise was not an issue for me. This killed. Can't wait to use it
More.
“The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.”- Anonymous
Piz
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago, IL
1351 Posts

Profile of Piz
Quote:
On 2012-12-11 01:39, Justin Lewis wrote:
Just got mine! Amazing! I did used it three times. Twice lndoors, the noise was not an issue for me. This killed. Can't wait to use it
More.

I've been killing with this aswell, my girls cousin screamed so loud (she literally went crazy!) when I had her pull the chain out my shirt, she woke up my daughter at 3am who came down stairs screaming that she had school in the morning! Noise is not as big of a factor as I thought it may be in the real world outside of a silent bedroom. A little talking I found does the trick, not nearly as bad as it seems when your simply practicing in a silent room.

This is my favorite effect at the moment, one of thee best I've purchased in many years, a real reaction getter, and I could not be happier that I took the plunge on this one Smile

Paul Smile
The Manipulator
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of The Manipulator
Anyone know what those extra pieces of chain are for?
K_B_G
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of K_B_G
I have been eagerly awaiting this release. Here is my initial review through the eyes of a real world working pro. It will be followed by another a week or two from now.

The package when first opened is great. I watched the whole dvd and thought Bob you *** genius. I was then careful to go through everything step by step first. I wore a reasonably loose dress shirt and set everything up. My first issue was that the main device had a problem locking and unlocking. Then the m*gn*t of my one chain came out. I wasn't too worried and used the other chain and “broke” my main gimmicks switch in. Then used super glue to repair other chain, so not a big issue for me as I'm a practical type of person. Initial impression. I can foresee an issue with the main gimmick keeping up its work in the long run, and this has always been a concern with a gimmick of this nature in the past. It is known to stuff you around at some point.

Fast fwd to set up. I'm ready and I'm trying out the device which works well at this point. Almost too well. The noise is definitely an issue to consider but doesn't bother me much as in most venues you have background noise or misdirection to cover it. There are also some nice tips on the dvd. Immediately it becomes apparent to me this is unfortunately not something I will be able to use in a standard PAID table to table or strolling environment as often as I would have liked. Reset takes time. Not much but you have to do a bunch of awkward things like stick your hand up under your shirt, clip this here and that there, and I'm not in the habit of going to the bathroom to reset as that doesn't look professional to any client. So that was my first negative. However in terms of fun for myself I was happy.

So I play with the gimmick and wear it all day. I begin to realise that yes while it can be worn freely once the device is in a locked position it puts strain on the main mechanism. I try it on a few friends. Reactions are good. I can see potential. The next day I put on my t shirt. Its not tight but more fitting than the dress shirt and its very hot. I also noticed my device begins to lack the ommmmf it had when I first got it in terms of strength. Anyway I set up and I am excited. Test. Test. Test. Doesn't work as well as previously. My ring is only going half way up. There is too much friction from my sweaty skin the shirt and my device seems to have lost some strength. I do all the suggested ideas by Bob. Still mediocre results with the ring not fully getting to where it needs to.

Ok so I've had this 3 days and I'm pretty neutral at this point. Today I will undergo maintenance of my device which requires a funky screwdriver not easy to find which I think is an issue. Luckily I have this screwdriver because I collect tools. I will put a “looser” shirt on to test again today. I'm worried if I throw my suit jacket over this it will create further friction and resistance due to weight and contact. So far I am in two minds about the practicality of the overall picture. You do feel like James Bond. It is very clever and I'd say worth the money in terms of idea and props provided but considering there is quite a process that needs to be undertaken including what seems like will be on going maintenance and tweaking I'm not as thrilled in terms of practicality as I was initially hoping. I will be back with my second review after I've maintained the device and performed it numerous times.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2012-12-14 00:17, K_B_G wrote:
Today I will undergo maintenance of my device which requires a funky screwdriver not easy to find which I think is an issue.

I just used a fork. Works as well as the tool.
PHSIS
View Profile
Veteran user
Kailua-Kona HI
386 Posts

Profile of PHSIS
Hi KGB

Will have Bob Smith or Darryl V the manufacturer get in touch with you over the next few days to help you clear up any issues you're having. If by chance you have a defective unit will get
a new one off to you right away.

take care,

Janet Harris
leomagnus
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of leomagnus
I received Closure 2 days ago and I have to say WOW!!!! I've performed it twice now and both times its elicited a visceral reaction. Be prepared, this makes people scream!!!! The gimmick works extremely well, and with the Darryl handling it can be done almost silently. Both times I performed it, I was in an extremely quiet room, with the only sound being my voice. NO ONE heard a thing. So much for a noise issue. I initially had fears about the "polishing" being transparent, but its not.

I perform Closure by borrowing a ring, and then joke about how some magicians don't respect borrowed items. (really not so much of a joke) As I talk, I do the gag of palming the ring a throwing a small coin, creating the illusion of chucking their ring away. I then quickly reveal that I didn't really throw it. Then I do the old gag of putting the ring in my mouth and blowing it out my nose.(obviously this could be taken badly, but I do it as a finale to a longer set, and by this point everyone is laughing along with me.) After it apparently falls from my nose, I get a big laugh. I laugh along with the spectators, I say "I didn't really do that", and as I say this I "absentmindedly" clean the ring off on my shirt, doing the move. From there I'm home free.

Thank you PH, B Smith, Daryyl, Peter, etc. for a real worker!

-Leo
Christian Z.
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle, WA
126 Posts

Profile of Christian Z.
This is a great trick but it does not fit my personal style of performing. If anyone is interested, I am actually selling mine (original packaging and has not actually been used), PM me if you are interested.
ChrisTheImpossible
View Profile
New user
Jacksonville, Florida
70 Posts

Profile of ChrisTheImpossible
Quote:
On 2013-01-19 18:32, Christian Z. wrote:
This is a great trick but it does not fit my personal style of performing. If anyone is interested, I am actually selling mine (original packaging and has not actually been used), PM me if you are interested.

I might be interested if you still have it available. I was considering purchasing mine but I may see if it is available else where for a bit cheaper.
www.MagicJunky.com
"A place for Magicians, Clowns, and Ventriloquists to Buy, Sell, and Trade new and or used items Free!"
mixman
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Colorado
294 Posts

Profile of mixman
I hope people don't think this a silly question, but can the "Load" be performed one handed? I would like to add this to my ring and shoelace routine. Right now I use Pro Flite which lets me load while the spectator it tying a knot around my other hand. I wanted to use interlace, but a one handed setup and load is pretty much impossible. if this could be done with one hand, it would be a perfect end for my routine.
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1361 Posts

Profile of M Sini
Mixman,

I believe with just a tad bid of practice the load could be performed with one hand.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paul Harris Presents CLOSURE by Robert Smith (Official Trailer) (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL