The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Book/DVD Recommendation for sleight (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

malfy
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of malfy
Hello all,

I'm looking for recommendations to PURCHASE a book or dvd on sleight.

The only magic I perform is thread work with common everyday objects. I have little or no experience with sleight, or objects like coins and cards, and in fact I avoid them.

Specifically I have an idea for a trick, where I would need to perform a swap, (one object to a different object) both being about the size of a matchbox. *****NOTE: The purpose of this description is so that YOUR recommendation for me will be more accurate!!****

A book/dvd that only teaches sleight for cards, may not contain useful information for me so I have included the 'swap description' for the BEST possible recommendation. It is NOT my intention to attempt to "fish secrets" for a specific trick.

I reiterate, I WANT TO BUY A BOOK/DVD on sleight. If you know of one that teaches excellent technique for swapping objects in this fashion, THAT is the book/dvd I am interested in.

Book/dvd recommendations ONLY please.

Thanks all!
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
It's difficult to make a recommendation when we don't know exactly what you have in mind. But you might want to take a look at both volumes of The Art of Close-up magic by Lewis Ganson or Sach's Sleight of Hand.
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1751 Posts

Profile of cirrus
The three books I recommend to every beginner:

Royal Road to Card magic (all the card sleights you will ever need)
13 steps to mentalism
Hugard's magic manual (to get all the other sleights)

You have a whole collection of magic for your whole life in these 3 books.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
"The Magic Book", by Harry Lorayne. Doc Eason got his start in magic with it!
Albatros
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
132 Posts

Profile of Albatros
You might want to look into Bill Tarr`s "Now You See It, Now You Don't!: Lessons in Sleight of Hand". Also "The Amateur Magicians Handbook" by Henry Hay is a worthwile study in regard of sleights.

All the best,
Sven ^^
"Palming cards... Like sex, it can be learned by almost anybody,but doing it well requires some native talent and assiduous practice." (John Scarne)
LeoH
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of LeoH
I agree with the Bill Tarr book. Easy to understand with good illustrations.
Countage
View Profile
Veteran user
Charlotte
361 Posts

Profile of Countage
Micheal Ammar is a great teacher of close up magic.
ronnyman
View Profile
New user
Indiana
56 Posts

Profile of ronnyman
I recommend Amazing Magic with Everyday Objects DVD. You can get it on Elmwood Magic for about $6-it's on sale now but I'm not sure how long it'll last. Good luck!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Modern Coin Magic by J.B. Bobo has a number of excellent switches in it. Anything you can do with a coin you can also do with any other small, flat object.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Performing a Vernon Change Over Palm first (to convey the idea that your prop is the only thing in your hand) before using a Shuttle Pass to openly perform the switch is a deadly combination.

Each of these two moves were printed in many books and DVDs, but generally not the same works. I would suggest you to purchase The Encyclopedia of Coin Sleights DVD by Michael Rubinstein where you get several variations on both moves. The DVDs are about coins but you are led to variants which can, in turn, lead you on how to use these moves with other props than coins.

You would furthermore learn other moves which may lead you to other ideas... Now don't expect learning effects there. This is for you to come up with. Now if you need help on that you may want to get through Dariel Fitzkee's Trick Brain which teaches how to design effects and using different props for known effects
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Book/DVD Recommendation for sleight (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL