The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Do you have a NO Mascots Policy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2486 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Just curious. many of us perform at places where mascots will come in and roam around.

it got me thinking as the holiday is approaching and Frosty, Santa, Rudolf and all their friends are at many of these events where you are trying to perform

for me I have in my contract that any and all Mascots must be out of the room 20 minutes before show time and can not enter the room till 10 minutes after the completion of my show.

why- obviously very distracting.

why 5 minutes after the show and not right away - I want the kids and parents to focus on my show and getting my info before they all run off.

so what do you do?

ps of course there are exceptions to this as I many times produce santa right at the end of the show or He enters the room right then. which is a very common practice. but even at other events Non holiday like fairs, community days etc they can ruin your show in a heartbeat!

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13396 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I rarely do shows like that but I think that (or something more generic than "mascots") is a great idea.
I did a show once where part-way thru my show they opened up a snack-bar for all the kids to come up and get free food and drinks at any point during the show.

I do often perform after-dinner shows and I make sure to tell the organizer and the catering staff that during my show it's best if the catering staff stop and take a break.

Usually they all understand and agree without question.

What if they hire a second individual to make balloons while you're doing your show?

What other distractions could be put into a list to make sure the organizers get the idea: Mascots, snack bars, caterers, other entertainers....

I've also done events where the stage was packed with band equipment, holiday gifts, etc.
I think it's good to also include some verbiage indicating that you need a performing area that is free from other/distracting equipment or such equipment is hidden with a backdrop, leaving an x-by-x area for the performance.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Bridgewater
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
184 Posts

Profile of Bridgewater
Mascots are an unfortunate part of doing shows for children. What I find particularly annoying is that the person wearing the costume is not an entertainer and their idea of performing is to "participate" in my show! I've said, with a big smile pasted on my face, "Stay over there, Bongo. You might get hurt over here. Really, really hurt." The parents think it's funny and the implied threat goes right over the kids' heads.
"Don't run with those..."
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
No mascots, no music, no adult talking, no eating, no dogs, deflate the da** bouncy thing, no busing tables, no unsupervised rug rats, and no balloons in my face.

If grand mom wants to stand behind me to take pictures of the kids tie her to her chair.

NO EXCEPTIONS
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1875 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Too many "nos" from an entertainer can end up as a "NO" to the entertainer. Dealing with less then perfect conditions is part of my job.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Do you have a NO Mascots Policy (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL