The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Al Schneider's cups and balls (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Love it!
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8335 Posts

Profile of funsway
Givens the short attention span of many today, this is an effect whose time has come!

I will do it with a coffee cup and creamers -- great approach
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5273 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Brilliant and sneaky! Al this is a sweet little routine, direct, short, and full of magic. I like it very much!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Al Schneider
View Profile
V.I.P.
A corn field in WI surrounded by
997 Posts

Profile of Al Schneider
Well, I guess it worked out fairly well.
Bear in mind the goal of this little venture was to demonstrate the power of glancing at the audience at the time of false transfer. I hope it got that point across.

This is very much like a routine on the new L&L cup and ball DVD called, OMG. That is a one cup routine done standing by the table with a no steal final load unlike this one that requries a steal to load the large ball.

Having gone through this process, I am inspired to do a book explaining the details of transfer vanishes accompanied with drills. It would be in four parts. One is using FP in the vanish, another part is using classic in the vanish, the third is doing a ball vanish, and the fourth part would be a detailed explanatin of the routine just presented.

I don't think there is a big audience for this but the truely dedicated would be interested.

A purpose of this little cup and ball routine was to demonstrate some of my principles and to stimulate a conversation of what is involved.

I think there are ways this routine can be enhanced. I haven't done it for real people to figure out how to get more bang for the buck.

Thank you all.

Al Schneider
Magic Al. Say it fast and it is magical.
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Special user
Living in Perth Western Australia
954 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
Fooled the c*$p out of me. Great stuff.
Al Kazam --> Magic guy in Perth Australia
www.al-kazam.com
Also on Facebook
www.facebook.com/magicianAlKazam
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Excellent! And astonishing. Distills the essence.
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of fortasse
For those who haven't ordered it yet, I would highly recommend Al's new Cups and Balls DVD. Great routines to choose from including L A Cups and Balls and the OMG routine. Everything superbly explained, as always. For C&B aficionados, this is one of the best investments you'll ever make.

Fortasse
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Al:

Have you ever developed a cups and balls routine using a solid cup?
Al Schneider
View Profile
V.I.P.
997 Posts

Profile of Al Schneider
I have not thought of developing a solid cup routine.
And I would not.
Personally, I do not see the solid cup as being a big finish for a routine.
It does not seem like magic to me.
For all I know, it might kill the audience.
I just don't see it.
And the sacrifices to the routine itself that must be made seem counterproductive to me.
Al Schneider
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4826 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Al, if you write that book, you're guaranteed at least one sale!
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of fortasse
You can count me in too!
howlinhobbit
View Profile
New user
Seattle, WA
53 Posts

Profile of howlinhobbit
Goodness, that was lovely!

I watched it like 5 times in a row, using my rather rusty magician's eye skills, before I "figured it out."

of course, the reason I put figured it out in scare quotes is because of that vast gulf between knowing how it was done and being able to do it so seamlessly myself.

but now I'm really antsy for the set of C&B I ordered to arrive.

thanks so much for sharing this Mr. Schneider!
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2012-12-30 08:53, Al Schneider wrote:
Well, I guess it worked out fairly well.
Bear in mind the goal of this little venture was to demonstrate the power of glancing at the audience at the time of false transfer. I hope it got that point across.

The point got across. Boy, did it ever get across!!!
Al Schneider
View Profile
V.I.P.
997 Posts

Profile of Al Schneider
If you don't mind a little discussion of some of the things going on in this routine, here goes.
There is a reason the balls are rolled out of the cup in the beginning. At the same time that happens, the other hand goes to a rest positon on the edge of the table. That is the exact postion of the steal of the final load. It is done here to get the audience accustomed to the hand being in that posiiton. Also, both hands move at precisely at the same time. The audience is consiciously aware of the little balls being rolled onto the table. They are not conciously aware of the other hand going to the edge of the table. However, it is registered in memory as being a normal action. Therefore, when done later, it will not be noticed.

Also notice that, during the "explanation" of what I am going to do, I am putting the balls into a hand and closing the hand around the balls. This gets the audience accoustomed to that motion. Most of the time magicians use this position when doing a false transfer. Then, it draws suspisicion. I do it several times early on without a move so that when it is used later, it is not labeled as a move.

I think that if these two moves went by you on first pass, that is why. I find it fascinating that when many magicians lap, that is the first time in the routine the hand goes to the edge of the table. It then looks funny.

All the best.

Al Schneider
Suzanne
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis
96 Posts

Profile of Suzanne
I love this routine. And it's perfection in Al's hands.

Happy New Year Al!!
- Magic is what you are.

Suzanne's Web Page
Suzanne on Youtube
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
It is simply perfect in its perfect simplicity
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Al, You are basically underlining some major points:

1) The goal of this little venture was to demonstrate the power of glancing at the audience at the time of false transfer.

2) As the balls are rolled out of the cup in the beginning, the other hand goes to a rest positon on the edge of the table. That is the exact postion of the steal of the final load. It is done here to get the audience accustomed to the hand being in that position.

3) Both hands move at precisely at the same time.

4) The audience is consciously aware of the little balls being rolled onto the table. They are not conciously aware of the other hand going to the edge of the table. However, it is registered in memory as being a normal action. Therefore, when done later, it will not be noticed.

I got confirmation, watching you perform this routine, of several other points that you clearly put in play but sofar didn't underline:

1) the mouth of the cup arrives flat on to the table and not at an angle (a Ramsay recommandation as well) even though you are using the forward momentum for the loading. This is true even with the large load (consistency of gestures)

2) You justify the tilting of the bottom of the cup towards the audience by pushing forward, with the hand holding the cup, the little ball that just appeared under the cup.

3) Even though you state that the hands should start at the same time, you are denying the Slydini principle according to which both hands should start at the same time AND finish moving at the same time. Attention stays with the last moving part on the table.

4) You do a follow through after the climax (the apparition of the large load) by tapping the cup mouth towards the audience (not an effect but a statement -the tap-, replying to a potential question: the cup isn't tricked and it is empty) and you lift the large load and let it fall on the table (another statement -the noise- replying to a non formulated question: the ball is solid)

5) You conclude the routine with the same move (first finger pointing up) than you started it. Initially it's is used to gain attention and at the end it serves to punctuate the routine. A nice touch.

There are several other points that could be underlined, but it's your show and it would be nice if you would expand on the finesses that you have placed in there. Maybe like how you keep the large load to be able to steal it from that position and how you would get it position in real life (even if I understand that this is not the points you had a purpose to underline in this short routine.)

... and I take this opportunity to wish you a Happy New Year
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Al Schneider
View Profile
V.I.P.
997 Posts

Profile of Al Schneider
I intend to respond to your points. But right now I would like to comment on what I think is the most important aspect of the demonstration. I will blab a bit before making that one point. There are a plethora of issues associatd with this presentation. I am half way done with the new book mentioned above. You may wonder why I can do something so fast. I have set up a machine to produce books for amazon dot com. I wrote a small word processor dedicated to this task. Once I take pictures, I can get a book done very quickly. The problem is getting ready to take pics. When the pics are taken, I comment them and then add chit chat around them. I feed that text into my little program and out comes a pdf suitable to send to amazon dot com. It works pretty slick. Right now I am preparing to take pics for the book. But I an working on several others at the same time.

I hope some are wondering why the little cup and ball routine looks so good. After all, the entire routine is based on false transfers. The single point I have to make here is why they look so good. I have argued this point with many and I apparently loose this argument with many. I think that arguing this point is fruitless. The proof is what you see in that little clip.

Here it is. ->During the false transfer the receiving hand closes under the transmitting hand.<- Normally, magicians insert the transmitting hand into the curled fingers of the receiving hand. I believe this is done to prevent the audience from seeing that nothing falls from hand to hand. In my method, there is a small space exposed during the critical time. There is nothing there. However, due to the naturalness of the motions, the audience mind will insert something there. That is why this is so powerful. I repeat this single main point for your discussion. (I mean everyone.) During the false transfer the receiving hand closes under the transmitting hand.

I cannot stress how important this is. Yes, there are many details that surround all of this. But that one factor rules over all.

Al Schneider
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Pearls. You are giving us pearls.
Suzanne
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis
96 Posts

Profile of Suzanne
Quote:
On 2013-01-01 14:31, Al Schneider wrote:
I cannot stress how important this is. Yes, there are many details that surround all of this. But that one factor rules over all.

When the false transfer is done correctly (like Al describes) the watcher's brain fills in the missing parts and it actually looks like the ball is going into the hand. I've seen Al "throw" the ball from inches away and because of the way his left hand snaps shut while "catching" the ball, you actually SEE the ball fly through the air and you actually SEE the left hand catch it. Amazing!
- Magic is what you are.

Suzanne's Web Page
Suzanne on Youtube
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Al Schneider's cups and balls (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL