The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » $1 = ??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gforster
View Profile
Regular user
californian living in wisconsin
136 Posts

Profile of gforster
Not too long ago, there was a post asking what foreign coins are equal to the American Half Dollar. I was wondering what foreign coins are equal to our Silver Dollar coins (Morgans, Peace, etc.)? I know about the Feng Shui Chinese coins, but what else is there?
EVENTVS STVLTORVM MAGISTER
jcb
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of jcb
There are a number of silver coins around the world that are more or less the same size as the Morgan dollar. I do not know any contrasting (copper or other) coins of the same size.

5 (French) francs Louis-Philippe (circa 1840) can be found in really used (soft) to near mint condition and have almost exactly the same diameter as the Morgan dollar (very slightly thicker than a "soft" Morgan, maybe the same as a "mint" one). These coins were circulating in the time and place of Robert Houdin, maybe you can use this in your patter. They can be found for their silver content for around 6 to 9 euros each (some are of numismatic interest and cost much more). The same coins (with a different design) were minted by the third Republic (from 1848 onwards) and were perhaps more evenly minted.

Another French coin of nearly the same size is the 10 Francs 1969 (1 to 2 mm smaller in diameter, very slightly thicker than a "soft" Morgan dollar). Always in "near mint" condition for a few euros (not more than 5 each).

I have seen 1 Balboa silver coins (Panama, circa 1970, same size as a dollar) the biggest interest of these being the existence of a 20 Balboas silver coin that is 3 inches in diameter.
Bobcape
View Profile
Elite user
Rapid City, SD
470 Posts

Profile of Bobcape
I have a "hopping half" set that Todd made for me using Morgans and Russian 5 Kopeks coins. The Kopeks are copper, quite thick, slightly smaller diameter and very attractive (I think). Todd had to expand one of the Kopeks for the set, and it came out fine. I seem to be using the individual components more than the "hopping half" as a set. The 5 Kopeks coins I bought were circa 1858 to 1860. It is a little challenging to find them in near matching condition, but it can be done.

Perhaps some of our European members have better access to the older Russian coins than we do here in the U.S. Does anyone want to trade some older U.S. coins for some 5 Kopeks coins?

Bob
Be Amazed! + Enjoy The Magic!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » $1 = ??? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL