The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The Caylee Anthony Seance..too soon? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1512 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On 2012-09-15 13:45, Slim King wrote:
I see it has been now.
How soon was the Houdini Seance ?


Houdini wasn't murdered. And at the time there was a widespread belief in spiritualism. It was on par with a religious experience. As time went on, science and investigative regimens were defined and refined and spiritualism was relegated to pulp magazines and Bigfoot sightings. And you are WELL aware of this. Using something as contemporary as the Casey Anthony story as a bit of psychic entertainment would put you in the same category as the scam artists that preyed on believers of the Victorian era.

Maybe I am assuming to much when I assume that you are an adult (couldn't tell for sure by some of your comments and responses). Your very ill-schooled in the meaning of certain words. Bigotry is practiced by one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance. Emphasis on "group." I haven't seen anyone in this thread talking against mentalist, spiritualist or any other allied art practitioner.

But I have seen people on this thread address a particular singular person who has suggested that a "seance" dealing with the Casey Anthony case may be a viable topic for entertainment. You asked the question, you got a majority of negative responses and so... grow up, stop whining and playing the victim and respect the input you have received.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17675 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Spiritualism is alive and well in Florida. In fact an entire community Cassadaga is entirely mediums or Spiritualist just 20 minutes from my home. It's bigotry to denounce these people in the way you have. No different than attacking Catholics or Baptists. Pure and simple discrimination against someone's spiritual beliefs. It makes me sad that people such as yourself have little reguard for others belief systems and dogmatically call those with whom you disagree names such as JERKS... I actually wonder how old YOU are? ( not really. I've got a good idea)
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Lucien Astor
View Profile
Special user
Sunken R'lyeh
661 Posts

Profile of Lucien Astor
Quote:
On 2012-09-15 15:24, Slim King wrote:
Spiritualism is alive and well in Florida. In fact an entire community Cassadaga is entirely mediums or Spiritualist just 20 minutes from my home. It's bigotry to denounce these people in the way you have. No different than attacking Catholics or Baptists. Pure and simple discrimination against someone's spiritual beliefs. It makes me sad that people such as yourself have little reguard for others belief systems and dogmatically call those with whom you disagree names such as JERKS... I actually wonder how old YOU are? ( not really. I've got a good idea)


hmmmm. This is a magic forum, and you are a mentalist, so it safe for people to assume you were talking about a Theatrical Seance. If you are actually talking about a spiritualist religious ceremony, you don't have to ask about the opinions of performers. If you are in fact talking about a Theatrical Seance, and using the relgious argument as a straw man, you are being very disingenuous. Just saying.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17675 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I don't remember saying FAKE SEANCE. Where did I say anything like that? Perhaps a reading of my original post would put you back on track. ... Or just continue the attack. It doesn't bother me but it betrays a lot about people's character.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Quote:
On 2012-09-15 15:43, Lucien Astor wrote:
hmmmm. This is a magic forum, and you are a mentalist, so it safe for people to assume you were talking about a Theatrical Seance. If you are actually talking about a spiritualist religious ceremony, you don't have to ask about the opinions of performers. If you are in fact talking about a Theatrical Seance, and using the relgious argument as a straw man, you are being very disingenuous. Just saying.


If he's talking about conducting some kind of ceremony based on his own religious (or spiritualist) beliefs, not as entertainment or for publicity, one has to wonder why he is posting questions about it's appropriateness on a magician's forum.
ajb6864
View Profile
Special user
Europe
611 Posts

Profile of ajb6864
At first, I thought your account had been hacked.
Assuming it hasn't, how would you feel if this was a Seance for your daughter?
Not a judgment, just a question.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Quote:
On 2012-09-15 15:24, Slim King wrote:
Spiritualism is alive and well in Florida. In fact an entire community Cassadaga is entirely mediums or Spiritualist just 20 minutes from my home. It's bigotry to denounce these people in the way you have. No different than attacking Catholics or Baptists. Pure and simple discrimination against someone's spiritual beliefs. It makes me sad that people such as yourself have little reguard for others belief systems and dogmatically call those with whom you disagree names such as JERKS... I actually wonder how old YOU are? ( not really. I've got a good idea)


Wake up. It's not the belief system that is being criticized here. It is you. You.

Stop deflecting, strawdogging and dodging.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Quote:
On 2012-09-15 14:13, Godzilla wrote:
DWRackley...I just read your tag-line! "Because a MIND is a terrible thing,Period."

How fitting!


Be careful you don’t prove my point!

Do we understand the difference between saying “It’s a bad idea” and “YOU’RE a creep or a jerk or a demon?”

I indicated that I was against the idea. I personally would not do it at all. (There’re a lot of things I won’t do! Smile ) I doubt I would feel comfortable attending such a performance.

But I am very concerned when someone receives personal attacks for asking a question? We get a little snarky here when a newbie asks what we, in our self-righteous omniscience, deem to be a stupid question. Somehow that’s become acceptable behavior at the Café.

But this kind of personal attack? Note: there is a huge difference between attacking an idea, and attacking the person who questions that idea. Slim asked for advice, he didn’t just jump in and start working. His mind was asking a fairly simple question.

Those who called him names have already shut down their minds.

I held most of the regulars here in pretty high regard as people accustomed to using their minds. This thread changes my opinion of some.

I’m sure you care.
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
My post about your tag-line was in general!

Not pointed at anyone,if mis read!

Gary
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17675 Posts

Profile of Slim King
You are attacking Me then Tom? Because I asked if it was too soon for Caylee Anthony Seance? I just want to get to your motives here. The Seance was/is conducted by the original Medium that contacted her several years ago . At no point did I ever say I'd even be involved ... I simply asked a question ... And here come the attacks , false assumptions and name calling ... It's very telling.
And if it Had been my daughter, and Praise God it Wasn't, I would have welcomed a psychic medium locating her, and helping us lay her to rest.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Understood, Gary! Thanks, and it’s true! Smile
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Slim,

You remain, and have always been, one of my very favorite people here. I wouldn't do it, personally. But, I've seen weirder **** around here

Mark
What would Wavy do?
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5113 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I think it could be done, but it'd have to be soooooo delicate. Having said that, I'd not make her the focus of the advertising...wouldn't even put her name on it. Rather, she just comes through. Or perhaps a deceased playmate comes through, communicating for her...an older child, to whom she might look up.

And this is exactly the right forum for the question.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Can we shift the discussion to the dangers of running seances that use real life people? This would then change to a richer discussion.... Such as...

The nature of the death
How long since it happened
Is this spook or seance or something else in theme
Does the presentation use proper restraint and respect
Who is the target audience

I've been doing séance for a long time and mostly use fictional characters from real locations like Lun@ expanded routines.... Can one not stop and ask if it is right or not to use a real location where mental patients died in a fire? Whoever does jack the ripper routines - have you made sure you are not making light of the fact he is a symbol of violence against women? And so on.... This is powerful stuff indeed

Forget about back peddling etc and let's maybe shift this to this tack maybe? I believe since the thread started on penny and moved to spooky it has some penny vibes of the usual caustic madness.... Spooky has always been a more friendly place

Well, that was my attempt to save this.

Good day sirs, I said good day!!!!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Profile of Michael_MacDonald
Relax guys, everyone has their own ethics and beliefs, some think its ok to show a real crime photo of a victim, while others think it distasteful. some use voodoo while others think its bad. he asked a question. give your views and move on. leave the name calling for people that can not think beyond that sort.
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1512 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On 2012-09-15 17:06, Slim King wrote:
You are attacking Me then Tom? Because I asked if it was too soon for Caylee Anthony Seance? I just want to get to your motives here. The Seance was/is conducted by the original Medium that contacted her several years ago . At no point did I ever say I'd even be involved ... I simply asked a question ... And here come the attacks , false assumptions and name calling ... It's very telling.
And if it Had been my daughter, and Praise God it Wasn't, I would have welcomed a psychic medium locating her, and helping us lay her to rest.


If you are talking "real" spiritualism, and you are actually a religious spiritualist, or you are talking about a "real" seance... then you are posting this question in the wrong forum. try http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/ Stop playing the victim.
Lucien Astor
View Profile
Special user
Sunken R'lyeh
661 Posts

Profile of Lucien Astor
This isn't a personal attack against Slim (whose posts I have enjoyed for years), but I would question anyone's motives for such a seance. It seems exploitative, whether Theatrical or Religious. What personal investment do the parties involved have in such a recent case where the families are still grieving? The only reasons I can think of are notoriety, self-aggrandizement, or financial gain. I would love to hear about nobler motivations.
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Profile of Michael_MacDonald
To be honest it seems that it was said to elicit a reaction.........it worked lol.
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
I have a PDF of 'Memories of Emily' by Mark Piazza.(2007)
I would never do this one!!! The creator,made reference to horrow shows,and how he grew tired of,and wanted to script a seance,that would play on emotion!
This is a effect,that would place anyone with human emotions in tears!
The point of this post,was to say,there is also script out there,that someone,had created to reach into,and rip apart,anything we could consider right or wrong!
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6956 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Friends, I think the Caylee Anthony murder affects everyone. It's one of the few times I have ever cried over something like this. I've never been married or had kids, but this little girl...just racked me with emotion as I followed the story on every network. I can never forget her face.

Slim, I won't judge you for posting this. It is a very good question: Is It Too Soon? In this particular case, yes I do believe it IS too soon. I'm glad you brought this up. I am shocked at some of the responses, though. No matter. A fascinating discussion for sure.

Doug
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The Caylee Anthony Seance..too soon? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL