The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Putting it all together... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1683 Posts

Profile of mystre71
I just started working on a routine that deals with the subject of dealing with the 2nd coin in spellbound.

It's a great routine I almost hate to tell you about it

It's Curtis Kam's "Inverted Spellbound" from his lecture notes "All the Worlds A Stage"

Curtis' words: (I hope he doesn't mind?)

The objective: To eliminate all implications of a 2nd coin by changing the effect, and to eliminate all evidence of a 2nd coin by varying the method of spellbound.

Instead of the half changing color (or another coin) it turns inside out!

Almost wish I kept this to myself. Smile

Best
Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27150 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Joe, Inverted spellbound remains an almost unknown effect.

Just bringing up that effect takes me back to the building stairwell that afternoon in Tannen's.

I used the principle in a routine using a mirror where blobs of silver are extracted and formed into coins. Lots of uses for the spellbound sleights and a good secret turnover move… and not a whiff of clever coin switching.

Thanks for sharing Curtis!
...to all the coins I've dropped here
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4857 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Hi Jason,
About 20 years ago I had a routine where a new coin went back in time! …From a new Kennedy to a 64' Kennedy to a Ben Franklin to a Walker to a Barber to an old Roman coin! It then vanished going back in time before coins were ever made!

Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Johnson used to (maybe still does) make an effect with a lump of metal and a clear half dollar. I think the name of the effect was "Silver Extraction" but I could be wrong. I used to perform a spellbound where I'd simply wipe my hand across a half dollar and make it look like I pulled the metal out of it leaving a clear coin.

Larry D.
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
Silver Extraction is a trick by Dr. Boris Zola. Zola invented several popular close-up tricks during the 1950's including a salt pour and a trick using, of all things, miniature toilets! But, back to Silver Extraction…

The original trick, and the one Johnson sells today, was as Larry described it - you borrowed a half dollar and extracted a lump of silver from it, leaving a clear half. I know a lot of people that "used to do" this trick. I don't know anyone who does the trick. Why do you suppose this is?

Here are some of the reasons this is a hard trick to sell - you can't borrow a half anymore, so you have to introduce one. This takes time and slows the trick down. When you extract the silver and drop it on the table, no one "gets it", so you have to explain what has happened. The coin you are left with, the clear one, is difficult to see from anything over twelve inches, so it has to be passed around for anyone to understand what has happened. Also, the coin is so peculiar, that all the interest is on the coin, instead of you. Try regaining the audience’s attention after you pass the clear coin around! You lose momentum, and the coin becomes the final focus instead of you, the performer. You are in a fight with an inanimate object for the attention of your audience - this is a losing battle. Finally, the switch takes place at the wrong time, when all the focus is on your hands. All in all, a great idea, but poor theatrical construction.

There is a version that addresses all the presentational issues that make this trick hard to sell, and turns it into a first class miracle. I have done it for over a decade with wonderful response, and it is in print! Nobody seems to know about it, and that is fine with me, but if there is any interest let me know and I'll reveal all.

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27150 Posts

The version where you use a match and the silver drips off is quite strong.
Kainoa
View Profile
Elite user
NewArk, Delaware
424 Posts

Profile of Kainoa
Oh my gosh! Someone else owns a copy of “All the World's a Stage”?! It would be you, Joe. Inverted is a killer routine... and Curtis should resurrect that one. I think I'm mixing metaphors now.

But to get back to the topic a bit, the question was the magical/practical sort of debate, right? When is it okay just to pull stuff out of your pocket and when should you produce it? How often do you all include productions or do they seem to take away from your "effects"?
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Paul,

I would love to hear your solution! I stopped performing the effect mainly because of one of the problems you mentioned -- the clear disk is not that visible so people wanted to look at it immediately after the transformation, which created dead time instead of immediately garnering a strong reaction. My solution to that was the second way I performed the effect, i.e., in reverse. I'd explain how coins are made and would hand out the clear disk and lump of metal. After the spectators looked at the items, I'd transform them into a real half dollar. That way, there were no visibility issues to contend with and no delayed reaction. At the bottom line, though, it still didn't play strong enough for me to retain in the repertoire.

Everyone,

Regarding the question originally posed, I sometimes produce an item before performing another effect with that item, and I sometimes don't. It really depends on the particular effects. For example, when I used to perform a version of Matrix, I would produce the four coins first and in a way that they immediately appeared in Matrix position (one coin would appear in each of the four corners of the close-up mat.)

Regards, Larry D.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27150 Posts

Unless a presentation calls for a prop to appear... it seems more practical to bring out the props while introducing the theme of the effect.
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
As far as Silver Extraction goes, I think this is an example of a trick that should not be in a "set" show, but rather just when you are working quietly with one or two people and you want to show them something that will blow them away and then don't mind spending the rest of the night talking with them about it. I would save this one for impromptu shows.

If anyone has the props in Walking Liberty, I would love to buy a set.

Kirk
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
Larry,

Although I would love to claim it, the solution is Ron Bauers'. Typical of his work, it is thoroughly worked out, a theatrical presentation. It originally appeared in The New Tops Magazine (July, 1980), and was called Silver Replacement. It is, essentially, the solution you came up with. The difference is in the way that the stage waits are handled and the way that the fantasy develops. You need a dozen of the clear coins, which usually stops people from doing this version. Also, you need four or five of the lumps of silver. The ones Johnson makes are great because they have a part of the coin impressed in the blob. By passing out the coins to several of the people at the table they get a look at the coin while you spin your tale of woe. Oh, yeah, did I tell you there was a tale of woe? Well there is. And this is it.

Years ago you figured out a way to extract the silver from coins, but that was when silver prices were high, and so was the silver content of the coins. Now the content is low, and the price of silver is even lower, so the best thing would be if you could replace all the silver you removed and didn't sell, and redeem the coins at their face value. Now, the bad news is that you've been getting things backward all your life (obviously, since you are stuck with a bunch of silver you should have sold when prices were high...), but the good thing is - you've been getting things backward all your life! You see, this is the one time when that idiosyncrasy MIGHT actually work to your benefit, since maybe you can get the silver back where it came from! Now, obviously you need to say all this in your own words, but the subtext is there, all you need to do is build the fantasy in your own way.

The trick gets good because you defeat several obstacles in the original version: you kill the stage wait while they examine the coins by making the examination PART OF the effect. And by putting the inspection at the beginning of the trick, instead of the end, the inspection of odd objects actually CREATES interest (What are those things? How the heck did he get them? What's he going to do with them?). Then, the story paints you as a peculiar guy, (Come on, how much money could you really make taking silver OUT of coins? What kind of screwy, get-rich-quick scheme is this/was that?), developing - CHARACTER! And, finally, it pays off in the end, giving you another perfectly good 50 cent piece to add to your already overflowing vacation fund! Man are you smart - and finally getting rich too! And no, you aren't looking for any partners, so if anyone in the audience is thinking about getting in on the deal, they can just forget about it!

If you can use some theater techniques and act a little bit, you have here a truly fun, magical, experience to share with your audience.

Thank Ron Bauer for the great idea, and check out the printed material in the New Tops for the actual mechanics, the handling is clean, classical and tell-free.

Best, PSC

P.S. Bauer's other material, which is all theater-based approaches to great magic, can be found in his series, "The Ron Bauer Private Studies", a complete course in performance, spread out over 24 lessons. See http://www.thinklikeaconjuror.com.

P.P.S. I don't get any money for promoting this stuff, in fact, I asked RB NOT to release any of it!
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1683 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Regarding:
Quote:
Oh my gosh! Someone else owns a copy of “All the World's a Stage”?! It would be you, Joe. Inverted is a killer routine... and Curtis should resurrect that one. I think I'm mixing metaphors now.

Kainoa, Yeah I got my copy from someone off here had a list of books and note they was selling (lucky for me Smile )Keeping my eye out for other notes Smile

Regarding:
Quote:
But to get back to the topic a bit, the question was the magical/practical sort of debate, right? When is it okay just to pull stuff out of your pocket and when should you produce it? How often do you all include productions or do they seem to take away from your "effects"?

I don't think in the RIGHT routine it takes away but adds to the effect.
For me it depends on the routine.
Example: If the routine I'm going to do will end "Clean" then I might produce the coins (Produce coins, vanish coins and reproduce coins)

But on the other hand if a the routine ends "Dirty", then I'll usually start with the coins in a purse and place the purse back in my pocket so I have a reason at the end to go back to the pocket and "Ditch" whatever I need to. And bring out the purse to put the coins away.

Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Paul (PSC), thanks for sharing.

Larry
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Putting it all together... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL