The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Magic copyrights (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
RJH
View Profile
Elite user
Finland
477 Posts

Profile of RJH
So, what are the magic copyrights? Can I go and perform Lance Burton's FISM Act? Smile

RJH
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
726 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
I sincerely hope you are making a joke, and not coming, as a new user, into a den of magicians and asking if you can steal other's acts.
RJH
View Profile
Elite user
Finland
477 Posts

Profile of RJH
No, no.. That was just an example... If you can do a card trick by someone, can you do someones routine or part of it?

RJH
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21794 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
If you buy a book, DVD, or other media, in which the other artist's material and mannerisms are explained, then and only then can you copy exactly his material. Otherwise, you are stealing, somone else's hard work.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7339 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
And only if theat media gives you the right to perform it Sometimes they are performance only videos or such.

Use them as inspiration to combine things into something that is uniquely yours. Sure it may have parts of differents acts and routines but make it yours. Understand why is is done instead of how it is done.

I know it is not much of an answer but this is one situation where a mentor can really help direct you.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
726 Posts

Yeah, hugmagic has the right idea. It's not really a good idea to copy someone's routine. You might do the moves like them, but you want to bring in your own self so it's something yours. You can perform it like they do since normally it's considered that you've bought the performance rights when you buy a dvd or book teaching it, but best to make it your own when you can Smile That way there's not hundreds of clones doing the exact same thing.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1769 Posts

Profile of Anatole
The concept of purchasing "performing rights" is a fairly recent legal concept in magic. If there had been such a thing as "performing rights" in the past, such as when Vernon's "Twisting the Aces" was published in _More Inner Secrets of Card Magic_, the Professor would probably have ended up fairly wealthy. Bob Carver and Hen Fetsch would have been set for life from the royalties of "The Professor's Nightmare" alone.

IIRC, Vernon published _Select Secrets_ originally as an expensive little manuscript and later it came out at an affordable price. Joe Karson patented Zombie, but somehow that didn't prevent a lot of dealers from coming out with their own version of the trick. One wonders if Karson would have reaped royalties from all the magicians who later applied the Zombie principle to things like light bulbs, handkerchiefs, masks... not to mention all the dealers who manufactured their own Zombies.

What if Tarbell had never released his course in book form and everyone had to pay the price for the correspondence course in today's dollars?

And what about sleights? What if Alex Elmsley had somehow protected the sleight that currently bears his name with a performing rights agreement? He would make a fortune off of a lot of packet tricks that have come out since he came up with the Ghost Count, not to mention books that have routines that use the sleight. But even Elmsley might have gotten a cease-and-desist letter from Edward Victor.

Okay... let the furor begin!

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3395 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I think if someone says you can watch this but please don't copy this routine, then, if you do copy it, it's infringement. If they copyright it with library of congress, then they legal grounds to prosecute if they want to. I know of a few dvds where the artists say, please don't do this one, this one is mine. Of course, when someone puts their routine out there for consumption by magicians, they run the risk regardless of what they ask in good faith.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
RJH
View Profile
Elite user
Finland
477 Posts

Profile of RJH
If I do like a Lee Ang Hsuan card to ball to silk in the beginning of his TMA http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ56BW26sdo around 1,21. But if I do it whit diffrent technique, but the result is same? Is that aloud?
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7339 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Tommy Windsor sold his pitch act but you were not allowed to do if he was on the show or within 150 miles of his hometown.

Now the question is is it worth all the money to stop someone from doing your act?

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
RJH
View Profile
Elite user
Finland
477 Posts

Profile of RJH
Can anyone answer?
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7339 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I am not sure what you want answered. Copyright is easily done with a specific script or routine. But unless you want to enforce and prove the loss of income by someone doing it, it is not worth the effort to enforce it.

Copyright for the most part with magicians boils down to ethics. Do you want someone do someone else act that he worked so hard to develop and hone? Is it ok for everyone to do the effects the same way? Most persons do not take the time or effort to research effects and the background of them. A well honed routine has a reason for everything that is done in it. Nothing is left to chance or luck.

Let's use my friend, Levent's dvd series on Linking Rings, Miser dream or Billard balls. He gives you a variety of different routines which he carefully reconstructed and researched. He documents the strengths and weaknesses of each as he sees it. Yet, he does not do any of them commercially. He has taken the best of various routines that fit his style and needs and developed his own routine. That is what should be strived for. .... researching the various moves and routine and understanding the how and why of each

I don't know if I answered your question or not. But I have tried to give some insight into how to develop a routine that will be unique to you. If you research moves and routines and can site references of earlier works, you probably will never have trouble with copyright.
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
RJH
View Profile
Elite user
Finland
477 Posts

Profile of RJH
If I do Lee Ang Hsuan's Card to ball to silk from second part of TMA act, but with diffrent technique? It will not look the same, but the idea is the same.

RJH
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
726 Posts

You should probably ask Ang Hsuan about that, no one else could give permission but him if it's his act.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7339 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I am not familiar with his exact act but changing various objects to silks has been around forever. Ball to silk, itself, goes back many. many years. As Fitzgee pointed out there are only so many magic themes. The effect may be the same but the methodology may vary.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
RJH
View Profile
Elite user
Finland
477 Posts

Profile of RJH
Herr.. Yes.. I don't think I can never peform that.. But, does anybody have his email? Smile

RJH
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3395 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
RJH,
I want to say that I applaud your obvious concern to do the right thing.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6658 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Me too! Smile Too many would just go ahead and do it, without a thought.

Doug
RJH
View Profile
Elite user
Finland
477 Posts

Profile of RJH
Thanks guys.. Smile But does anybody know any published card to ball to silk? I'm going to Finland stage magic competition, and just have started to do the routine. And I don't want to pay large amount of money if I break copyrights. Smile

RJH

Posted: Sep 20, 2012 11:56pm
YES! I got permission from Lee!

RJH
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7339 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Bravo for taking the extra effort.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Magic copyrights (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL