The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Ok I just got crushed in spirit. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Profile of Michael_MacDonald
I went to my storage unit today looking for some of my props and books that I keep there as I do not want the kids destroying them.... the storage place where I kept them ( past tense) had a water main break and flood all the storage units. had they called me I would have been able to try and salvage some of the rare books and wood props I had. instead they waited till I got there <over a month after> to tell me.

I lost some books that have been out of print for years. some that I will never be able to afford now even if I could find them again. my personal magic library alone had over 700 books. my magick library had at least double that. I lost 40% of the props I had in there due to mold and rot. I lost family pictures. and items that meant a lot to me that can never be replaced. if ya ever wanted to see a grown man in fetal position crying like a baby you would just need to have been there when I saw the devastation.
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
Wow. That's a hard thing Michael.
Not sure what to say: just, you have my sympathy. Keep in perspective. How do you make the best of a bad situation?

:-(
[
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Burn the storage unit? yes I lost a life time of memories. props and books that I started out collecting in the late 70's
its like my personal life was just wiped out.
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1652 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
Michael,

So sorry to hear this. Not having ever experienced something like this before, I have no clue how difficult it must be to wrap your head around. I hope that a bright lining will yet appear.

David
Chris Meece
View Profile
Special user
Somerset Kentucky
776 Posts

Profile of Chris Meece
I am definitely not a fan of the numerous frivolous lawsuits we have today but in this case I would possibly look into legal action. That wouldn't replace the unreplacable but it would be a start. Secondly I would do my best to salvage what you have. Small solace in that but maybe after some drying out and careful cleaning you may be able to reclaim more.

That really sucks, man.
All small town magicians know what 793.8 signifies.
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5318 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Sorry,for your loss! Smile
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Almost all the books and pics are destroyed. military service records, medals, awards from two generations lost.
the props can be rebuilt over time. antique dolls and jewelery from moth, grand mother and great grandmother damaged.
antiques like dolls coins, and other items damaged so that the collectability was at least halved.

legal action will only prolong the bitterness I think and will do nothing to replace what is gone.
I do not see this as malicious intent so causing pain to another is not my nature here.

ill save what I can and move on.

rebuilding the book archive will go a long way in helping me here I think. guess I need to save up as I need the books for referance.
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

And thank you guys, the support helps as I know that you guys can appreciate what books and history can mean on a personal level.
revenantproductions
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of revenantproductions
Michael,

Just saw this thread. Very sorry for your loss sir. I have been there and it is a very hard punch to take.. Stay strong my friend.
gmeister
View Profile
Inner circle
1565 Posts

Profile of gmeister
Truly devastating, especially since the loss might have been minimized if you had only been alerted.

While I can only imagine how you feel, know that I can and do feel for you.
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2103 Posts

Profile of RCP
They are insured....be a pest....library has real $$$$$$ value. Produce a list with market value. You have a real claim. Be nice but firm. Be persistent…..it’s just a game….guy that gives up last wins.
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
British Columbia
1405 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
So sorry to hear about your loss Michael. I have also lost items due to unseen circumstances in the past but not to the extent that you have. All the best in salvaging what you can.

Ray
EnterTRAINment at its best. Keeping the Magic Alive in Northern BC
ThatsJustWrong!
View Profile
Special user
My flying monkeys are perched on
623 Posts

Profile of ThatsJustWrong!
I'm so very sorry to hear this. I hoard books like a dragon's treasure so I know how you feel. There really IS no silver lining but here's a few tips for everyone:

1. Do not underinsure! Make sure your Homeowners and Rental Insurance is up to date and covering your property and possessions at their CURRENT value. A lot of folks are thrilled that they are still only paying premiums for the $50K their $200K house was originally assessed at but when it comes time to get paid, you're only going to see 25% of the value.

2. This is important: Lists are GREAT but VIDEOTAPE YOUR COLLECTIONS. Wander through your home and storerooms and shoot some video. We always leave things off lists and it also proves that you actually HAD that original Water Torture Cell and it was in good condition. Run the camera down your bookshelves, in your closet etc. You get the idea.

Again, Michael, my deepest condolences for a terrible, unconceivable loss. Smile
Joe Leo

All entertainers can benefit from some help from an experienced stage director. How about you?

www.MisfitMysteries.com
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1752 Posts

Profile of cirrus
I'm so sorry to hear this... I really have no words to describe how you must feel. I know how it feels to lose something dear to me (I lost several of my pets over the years that were more dear to me then most of my own family), but still...

A legal suit isn't going to replace the memories and the loss, nothing can. Being bitter about this isn't going to bring the stuff back either. Just salvage the things that can be salvaged and go on.

My condolences for your loss, sir.
lin
View Profile
Special user
California
808 Posts

Profile of lin
Quote:
On 2012-09-17 19:27, RCP wrote:
They are insured....be a pest....library has real $$$$$$ value. Produce a list with market value. You have a real claim. Be nice but firm. Be persistent…..it’s just a game….guy that gives up last wins.

what he says. You do not need to do it today; you may need a few days to get over the shock. But, put it on the to-do list and think about doing it tomorrow. Do pursue your claim. You have every right to be reimbursed the replacement value of those things which can be replaced.

best wishes,

Lin
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Very sad to hear this! I love books. I have more books than I have shelves to keep them in. I have books that I’ve kept longer than any of my wives (not joking!) Even hearing about someone else’s loss takes my breath away. You should definitely file a claim. Their lack of action made the situation far worse than it needed to be. And any money’s from the settlement will help (a little) toward replacing the things that can be.

Sincerest regrets!
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
Mind illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Australia
950 Posts

Profile of Mind illusionist
Really sorry to hear that Michael, best wishes, and hope you continue to handle things well from here. take care mate!
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3741 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I am very sorry to hear this. My very sincere sympathies.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10571 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
I'm depressed reading this too - all I can say having lost a comic book collection the same way is - you will mourn and learn and become more paranoid for the future for protecting your treasures - another thought is since you mentioned you got kids - the loss you experienced is something you will recover from - they are but things - not people - but it will suck for a great while - last thought - fresh slate...

And sue the **** otta those ****ers
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2232 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
Michael, I am saddened to hear of this devastating misfortune. I have no adequate words to console you with.

Sincerely wish I did. My old time rope worker friend R.C. Buff shared with me during our long correspondence years ago, the trauma of having lost his beloved magic props and books in a house fire. He carried that loss all of his remaining days. But somehow he managed to carry on, and continued being creative and loving the craft.

I can only wish you and your loved ones better days to follow.

Kotah
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Ok I just got crushed in spirit. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL