The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Ok I just got crushed in spirit. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Intrepid
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, MD
948 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Michael, I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Some things can never be replaced. Cherish the memories that live on, appreciate the family that's around you, and build new experiences.
Bob
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Profile of Michael_MacDonald
Thank you so much guys. I just got back from a performance...not my best I'm sure. and to see the support here has done wonders for my moral. I will recover and move forward that is all we can really do.

I wish to ask a favor of you all if I may. if you know of anyone with magic/magick/mentalism books they do not want or have multiples of let me know. I really want to try and recover most of the books I use for inspiration. I know I will never be able to replace the really old out of print books and antique books but perhaps it is time for a change and fresh perspective any ways.

as to props some of the more expensive ones I will never be able to replace as I am not as cash fluid as I used to be. but I can make some of the others.
Snoogans
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of Snoogans
Man, that sucks. Why did they wait to tell you??
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

They claim they didn't know that it got my shed, but from what I'm seeing it got the while row. when I saw it I just closed down.
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
Wait, wait. They basically let you find out that your life had been erased and didn't bother to give you a head's up that you may have a problem. I'm not a fan of angry lawsuits, but in this case you at least need to pursue a claim on their insurance.
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

I think I need to wait a couple days to get over the shock then I will consider all options. right now the over whelming depression is kicking in hard. so I'm focusing on something that makes me happy and is productive.
ill be spending the next couple days cleaning out the shed and evaluating the destruction and hoping to save some of the more meaningful items.
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
Fingers crossed!
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18121 Posts

Profile of IAIN
...also, right yourself a little book... all the memories that have been triggered because of this loss... write it while its still fresh, let it be cathartic and also invigorating... though its a sadness to lose a physical object, the memories they invoke are still there in your mind... so take advantage of the shock, and start jotting down all the little mental flashes each item now triggers...then get it nicely bound and keep it safe...you may well find something new from the metaphorical ashes...
PROF BC
View Profile
Inner circle
1355 Posts

Profile of PROF BC
Meantime Michael, we on the Café can help (at least a little). I think I speak for everyone here when I say we stand ready to help value those unusual things you have lost--especially OOAK props and out of print books. If you wish, please start posting lists of items and let us pool our knowledge to help come up with genuine valuations for you (to turn in to the insurance people).

Money will never replace what you have lost, but it will at least compensate you insofar as helping to begin building anew.

Also, sharing these titles and items with those of us who truly appreciate and care may prove a fitting tribute to your beloved collection and help you find some solace in the midst of this sad loss.

We are with you,
BC
Phasmologist
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18121 Posts

Profile of IAIN
@Michael, PM me your email address and I shall send you a small something...it won't make up for anything, but just as something to take your mind off it for a short while...
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Michael, I too have lost parts of a magic collection and library due to flooding (more than once). This won't help for your immediate loss, but perhaps in the future. After sustaining such losses, I decided to get pro-active. I started buying plastic storage tubs... lots of them. I figured water would have to be at least as deep as the tubs were tall to get into the contents (assuming they didn't float and tip). I also made sure that everything at the lowest level was jacked up on pallets, so that if water did get in, it stood a better chance of drying out with the improved air circulation. It may not prevent all damage because of the increased humidity, but it will definitely keep things from having direct contact with the water.

I hope I am not sounding like a Monday morning quarterback. I am only telling you how I dealt with a similar problem. It took the loss to inspire my preventative solution.

I realize this is a moot point for your current losses, and the anger and sick feeling that comes with it. I have also known people who have lost it all from hurricanes, tornadoes, and fire. A loss is a loss, and it hurts.

You will always feel that sadness, but it will get better.

I would also advise you to do as others have said. Find out what legal recourse you have.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

I do not know what to say........

to be honest seeing all the thoughts here and in pm are staggering to me. this is the first time on here where I have seen the brethren step up and gather together to really help and support a brother. this is starting to really feel like a family to me. the kindness expressed her is taking some of the sting out of this. you guys are awesome and it does a great deal in relieving my faith in humanity as a whole.

as I rebuild I will make a back up on a hard drive of the books I buy now per archive purposes. losing a lot of these is like losing parts of my youth. but what hurts worse is the fact that I lost so much of my legacy that I would leave my children. old books with signatures and pics with them. pictures of our family that can never be replaced. and the members have passed over. some things of historic value. others a larger cash value as collectible.

ill be going back later today to sort it all out. I want to thank you guys so much for what your doing here. and if I can ever help you please let me know.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10571 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Quote:
On 2012-09-18 12:31, Michael_MacDonald wrote:
you guys are awesome and it does a great deal in relieving my faith in humanity as a whole.

humanity???? who said we are human???
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Lol brother, if we are the darkenss that haunts man yet we show such unity how can the light not show as much? perhaps I wish for to much?

I have lost much but have gained more. so for now my family, my passion for performance, and my desire to progress the art of real magic shall be what drives me. the book has not finished but simply turned a page. a new chapter begins.

I will take the advise of so many on here and ask for the insurance to cover my financial losses even if they can never really make amends.

and just for you dear DR a prayer..... and though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil....for this is our home!" amen
Vic Nadata
View Profile
Special user
Charlotte, NC
934 Posts

Profile of Vic Nadata
That is bad news Michael. What a loss. Best wishes to you.
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2109 Posts

Profile of RCP
The most prized possessions sadly have no realizable monetary value........but you have a real loss of valuable property......easy to identify current value. We all buy insurance for just such a reason. There is no such thing as a book that can't be replaced. Life changes, death.........I have built a massive collection one book at time.......no way to change the past but your choice how to manage future will bring new joys. Sanctvm demands it.
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

So just got back from storage. most of the jewelry can be salvaged and cleaned. the military pictures and awards are gone. 70% of the books are done. the uncirculated coins are not pristine any more so value dropped. my family pictures are gone.
most of the dolls can be saved. those are 3 generations of collected beauty. the wood items got severely warped and cracked from swelling of the wood. so for the most part pics books and wood props are what I lost.

perhaps ill use the wood items to make antiqued props heck they already look hundreds of years old now lol. and the smell omg!

but the books........
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6675 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Wow. Michael, I don't know what to say. I'm nobody, but I'll do my best. I know exactly, precisely what you are going through. I lost everything I owned since I was seventeen in a house foreclosure in Florida. That includes FOUR trunks of magic I've had since I started.

Ya know, I'll probably carry that burden the rest of my life. I know how it feels to lose things you simply CANNOT replace. It's like a death of a dear one. And when loss happens because of a fire, flood, or foreclosure, it's insult to injury! Needless loss!

Fellow members, there is not a THING I can do to help. Michael has helped me more than I can ever repay him! Can someone here help him replace some of his stuff? The generosity of this Café is overwhelming! Just to give you an idea, when I had lost everything, I just mentioned it here in the Café.

The number of members PM'ing me and asking for my address- overwhelming! I received a priceless RnT's Polished Stainless Steel, Paul Fox Cups & Balls set originally made by Mad Jake! The gifter wishes to remain anonymous. Then, another member sent me a copy of Greater Magic. Another sent me the whole run of The Sphinx on CD (a $500 value!).

Michael Rubinstein sent me all the NY Coin Magic Seminar DVD's I had lost. Chuck Leach replaced my Raven, my Deck Shell, and Buddha Coin Boxes, along with about $500 worth of other stuff as a bonus...

This is not bragging...it is to show that if all these wonderful members could reach out to me, a NOBODY...and do that, then how much more could be done for this generous, kind, helpful and MUCH more deserving person? If I was rich, I'd do everything humanly possible to help Michael replace what COULD be replaced, and I'd try and FIND the technology to repair what was repairable.

I'm sitting here wiping tears from my eyes right now. A fantastic individual like Michael should NEVER have had this happen to him! Guys...I don't know what else to say...God Bless ya Michael! Let's see if I can rub this lamp and help your wishes to come true! Smile

Doug
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5177 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I suppose it would be expected, and accurate, to say that what you've lost are all material things, but we all know better than that. Humans bond themselves to "things." These things may be letters, photographs, books, art...it doesn't matter...they are all special because of the memories they hold. They are imprinted with them. These objects immediately transport us to different states of mind. We are a tactile sort. Our senses steer our lives. And the things we touch, and save, mean something.

My mother loved antiques. Not necessarily expensive items...actually quite the opposite. She grew up on a farm, without electricity, and collected pieces that reminded her of her youth. I remember her telling us wonderful, colorful stories as she would pick up a candle stick, or a lantern, and let her mind drift back in time. I learned more about my mom through those reflective moments than any family tree could tell me.

I'm truly very sorry you're going through this. But remember, you're still in possession of an untouchable library and fountain of knowledge and memories that no one can touch. It sits on top of your shoulders and will hopefully, only become richer from this event. No one can replace what you've lost, but maybe the eventual strength you will gain from this loss will give you some peace and satisfaction.

Godspeed.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6675 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2012-09-18 22:11, Wizard of Oz wrote:
No one can replace what you've lost...

Well, we're gonna try. Michael, watch your email (both of them). I just contacted someone who has major magic connections. It's the best I can do...

Doug
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Ok I just got crushed in spirit. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL