The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Ok I just got crushed in spirit. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1752 Posts

Profile of cirrus
I thought I could dispose of my items a while ago, and I sold some comic books, but I didn't have the heart to sell them all. I had to take a few out of the deal because of the memories attached to them.

I can tell you for certain that no item can replace good health.
Van Helmont
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of Van Helmont
If you had any books on phrenology or animal magnetism that were lost: I have a huge collection of (mostly antique) books.
If you want, PM me and I'll see what I can do.

Where there is hope, there is life (and vice versa)

VH
The Epiphany Before Christmas: this day (12/23/13) I leave the Café for good!
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Profile of Michael_MacDonald
Thank you guys so much for the offers, it really means a lot to me.

books are my passion and have been for many years. my library consisted of a vast array of topics ranging from antique books on witchcraft, occult studies, books for learning new languages, martial arts, magic, mentalism, a large selection on world religions, horror and much much more.

again I thank you for the offers but I can not possibly expect others to fill my shelves again. as touched as I am that you guys would even consider gifting me so much I can not accept. please do not think this is in anyway a slight against anyone as it is not. it is that for me the true value of these items must be earned or I am not worthy of them. its the journey that makes us who we are not the destination.

if some have books that are not needed I would be glad to buy or trade for them.

Van Helmont I have never had either of those as I have never seen them if you have some that I may buy that would be cool.

doug thank you brother! your concern and your passion for helping others is felt by many here. we see the man you are by the deeds you perform brother. do not change.

again thank you for the generosity and the emotional support it is what is giving me the strength needed to dispose of what is left of generations of faily items, and books I have been collecting all my life.
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

The biggest gift that can be given is friendship and companionship. this has no street value but is the most priceless treasure you can offer. your are offering of yourself. your are giving a piece of your inner being, trusting that it will not be betrayed or shunned.

this gift I accept with all my being, and offer in return mine. if you need me I will be there.

let us walk the path together and share in teh great adventures life has to offer in companionship. knowing that through this camaraderie our load will be lightend, and the road less perilous.

Beanachd leibh!
blessings go with you!

Michael
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3642 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Michael,

Get video of the damaged items so you can prove you had the items. Bring a good friend with gloves and a mask to video so you can display the items. Mention the provenance or value if the mask allows audibility. If you have health problems this might not be a great idea but call a lawyer before you dispose of the items or at least keep a list of the throw aways.

This will help you remember the items if you ever try to replace them or take legal action. Get a clear record of the notice you were given of the damage and when the damage actually happened.

Slip a note in the door of your storage neighbors with a phone # and tell them you are their neighbor and considering legal action. An alliance could be helpful. Ask the owners directly what recompense they are planning. They may just be hoping it blows over and you'll walk away. Keep your stuff in storage a bit longer, at least till you've spoken to a lawyer. If you can't have your memories you should at least get cash. If you can't get the real value you should at least get the #@*& rent you've paid to protect your items.

Make it clear to the owners that you are building a case. They may offer a settlement so get an idea in mind of what you could accept to "make it go away". See if you homeowners ins. might cover this (I doubt it).

Hate to rub salt in the wound but of the Books lost what were your most constant companion books? Best reference Books?
Many of us see books at estate sales, at a good price, in need of a loving home.

What Magic effects did you use most?

-Mary Mowder
MagicWGH
View Profile
Regular user
Covington, LA
164 Posts

Profile of MagicWGH
Sorry for your loss Michael. My in-laws lost everything in Katrina and someone told my Mother-In-Law, "You don't cry over anything that can't cry over you." I know it has to be hard and I'd be pursuing legal action (as many have said already) but hopefully something good will come out of it. Best wishes.
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1649 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
Michael,
I, too, would love to know which books you lost. Who knows...perhaps some of us have copies lying around we'd be willing to part with.
Best wishes,
David
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

I have looked online today and found a lot of the historic magick books are now on pdf free as they are public domain its not the same as having hand bound copies but it lets me reference them when needed to give the realistic feel for my performance. I will not be replacing a lot of the regular magic items as I do not perform that any more. I kept them because they were either signed or first runs. the books I will be replacing as I refer to them all the time were mostly mentalism and bizarre, theatrical, and books on séance. these are way to expensive to get first copies of so I am afraid I will not be able to afford them any time soon if I can even find them any more lol.

its funny I can remember what I was thinking when I bought those that I cherished so much. for instance the books that got me looking at changing to bizarre are capricornian tales, spirit theater, mind myth and magic, The Book Of Haunted Magick, and brain food. once I started my studies with bizarre I saw a book by Kotah using the professors nightmare in presentations that left me dizzy.

books that had mean to me for the normal art of magic
complete Tarbell course in magic
the volumes of rice encyclopedia of silk magic
those 2 sets gave me years of magic routines and enjoyment when I first started performing as pro magi.

when I saw 13 steps to mentalism, and practical mentalism I knew that mind presentations were where I was destined to be. psychological subtleties sealed it the fact that you can create the magic with nothing but simple props if anything at all and make it hit harder then all the big illusions combined was astounding to me. that you can make magic, real magic in the minds of your sitters gave me back the magical feelings I had lost over years of performance.

I think since I am starting fresh I will focus more on historic pieces that can be used to set the stage for performances. if you guys have some extra unneeded copies of books please pm me and Let me know how much you want for them.
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2102 Posts

Profile of RCP
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TARBELL-COURSE-I......c52e9cf8

Here is the original in one volume....I have started reading it again.....great to curl up with and have a dram at night.
Erick Machamer
View Profile
New user
Louisiana
39 Posts

Profile of Erick Machamer
A few years back I lost all of my books and props to a fire. I know your suffering. I am still trying to replace the items that are even still available. but books and photos and handmade/one off's are impossible. my condolences my friend.
When all of Your Wishes are Granted, Many of your Dreams Will be Destroyed...
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

I didn't even know that it came in a single hard bound!
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-09-19 21:09, Erick Machamer wrote:
A few years back I lost all of my books and props to a fire. I know your suffering. I am still trying to replace the items that are even still available. but books and photos and handmade/one off's are impossible. my condolences my friend.

yes a lot of the antique leather books that I had, I haven't seen since. We will learn, live, and grow from every trial that besets us.

there is an old scottish saying " nothing will pass you by that was meant for you " good or bad it is our turn to endure. I am lucky as I have friends and family that stand by me.

I have decided that I will take some of the old books and recreate them in hand bound leather. this is a project I wanted to do and now I have good reason. ill post pics when I am done if you all like.
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1888 Posts

Profile of chmara
Crushed in spirit -- is a good description. It took me more than a year of fighting with an insurance company, hours of inventory recreation lists, and an attorney to discover that a lot of things were not covered, especially things that were not on a rider, like a complete collection of Silver Age graphic comics my son had temporarily stored with me at my business location. The fire destroyed a $million business that could not be replicated because the patterns and files which could not be backed up were destroyed and only the "paper" value of replacing the media, not the intellectual content was covered.

I let the whole thing crush my spirit into a major depression -- and have had to remain on medication since -- now more years than I care to count.

The one thing I did learn is that caring for your mental health after a loss, as well as your legal and insurance obligations, is very important. No, make that exceptionally important. I was not destitute, but a lot poorer and tried to get the business going again -- but ended up going into magic instead -- doing OK, but not great. Then my health started going and a second loss has been having to sell my act, props and collections -- BUT -- I found a lot more support in the magic fraternity worldwide than I did from my insurance company and many of my "business friends."

But, I must say that a number of my previous business friends did find ways to support the magic act -- and offered me corporate shows that sustained my while I was healthy. Over the next few years I put together not only a number of solid acts but a substantial collection that kept me engaged in the hide and go seek mode you'll need to follow in replacing those things that must be replaced with antique priced things -- or substitutes of newer than your originals, but essential.

"For instance, I cannot tell you how devastating it was to lose some of my original Okito stuff -- how rewarding it was to be able to acquire some of the new replacements made by Norm Nielson -- and then again how emotionally difficult it was to have to sell those pieces again later just to pay doctor bills and keep a roof over my head. BUT, between the magic commuinity and mental health providers I am making it day to day in my own weird way.

And although the memories arte all I have -- I figure, at least I have those, a plenty of good friends worldwide -- some of whom have never been face to face with me -- or me with them.

Gregg -- with good thioughts and condolences.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
StPaulMagician222
View Profile
Regular user
Saint Paul, MN (Cathedral Hill)
104 Posts

Profile of StPaulMagician222
Wow, I know how you feel. I lost most of my Illusion Show to a Tornado many years back when it destroyed the warehouse I was keeping them in. I also found out too late that it was my responsibility to have paid that little bit extra for the insurance but as a young adult never thought I would need it. I do remember receiving a small amount from the storage company (1500.-) which might have replaced one item. I still have the vivid pictures in my mind when I looked at the mess of my lifetime interest in little bits and pieces and scattered all around me. Instead of replacing or rebuilding the items- and yes I did have a Water Torture Cell that I sold as scrap metal. The best thing that came out of all of it was that it sparked my interest in Mentalism and Bizarre Magic because I knew my Box Jumping days were most certainly over. It took a tragic situation to change my interest into the greatest Joy of my life.

Allow yourself to grieve. I remember how it came to me in waves once I was over the shock of the whole event. I hope that you will be able to recoup some of your losses by gaining a settlement or a nice sum in a court case. Don't give up, pursue your options and I like the idea of joining forces with other folks that also suffered loss. The very idea that you were not notified in a timely manner will also sway things in your favor and start making that list of everything you remember stored there. I trust that you will find a silver lining to an awful and very sad experience.

Kurt
St. Paul, MN
"One can't believe in Impossible things" said Alice.
"I dare say" said the Queen, "Why when I was your age I believed more than 6 impossible things before breakfast.
-Thru the Looking Glass- L.E. Carol
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6657 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Michael, you should be hearing from Bev Bergeron shortly...
Mind illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Australia
950 Posts

Profile of Mind illusionist
Quote:
On 2012-09-19 10:31, Michael_MacDonald wrote:
The biggest gift that can be given is friendship and companionship. this has no street value but is the most priceless treasure you can offer. your are offering of yourself. your are giving a piece of your inner being, trusting that it will not be betrayed or shunned.

this gift I accept with all my being, and offer in return mine. if you need me I will be there.

let us walk the path together and share in teh great adventures life has to offer in companionship. knowing that through this camaraderie our load will be lightend, and the road less perilous.

Beanachd leibh!
blessings go with you!

Michael

Good on ya mate. Blessings to you too!
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

I am now noticing that the magic community is rallying around to help and support. this is unfamiliar territory for me as I have never experienced such caring and sharing even from friends that I see in real life. I have been getting pm's emails and calls expressing worry and concern. I only wish that I had met you guys when I was younger and just starting my performance life. I think I would have succeeded a lot sooner with a lot less trial and error. thank you guys.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6657 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Hey Michael! Please, take anything that is offered! Members here want to help. Your friends are here for that very reason. I know you are a humble guy, and would gladly buy back your losses, but this is a tough time for many. Those who CAN will give. The rest of us are stickin' by ya, hoping for the best! Smile

Doug
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
Michael, if you had a Naked Mentalism, I'll send you another one free.
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-09-20 09:20, Jon_Thompson wrote:
Michael, if you had a Naked Mentalism, I'll send you another one free.

to be honest Jon I have not bought it yet, it is on my list to buy as it is said to take psychological subtitles to a new level. I also need to get all the psychological subtitles books back as that is the type of mentalism I love and perform. the ability to walk into a room and start calling out what is "freely selected by a audience member with no questions asked is what has given me the reputation that is now going around about my performances. as you guys know I love the s@nctum and lun@ for just this reason, they do not feel like tricks....they feel real to the sitter.

I do not know what to say guys, I am not used to such an out pouring of concern, and generosity. I will tell you this. these last couple of days has seen a lot of ups and downs, mood swings, crosses between desperation and and denial. if you would have told me last week that possessions being lost could feel like an old trusted friend dieing I am not sure I would have believed it. I would have been wrong.

thanks you my friends your inspiring me to recreate who I was and who I will become as far as my performance life goes. reading some of the old threads here is giving me new directions to take. since I lost the past books it seems like a good time to try the new roads and see where they lead.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Ok I just got crushed in spirit. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL