We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Center tear help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
sc24evr
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of sc24evr
I have been reading Corrinda's 13 Steps to Mentalism and I came across a very interesting centre tear routine. After performing the move he uses matches to destroy the evidence.

I really enjoy this routine but I believe sometimes matches and fire isn't suitable. Do any of you have a recommendation on how to perform this trick without the use of fire yet still being able to destroy the evidence? Thank you.
Menetekel
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of Menetekel
Change your approach and use a center tear in which no-stealing is involved.

If you ask me, the new PERFECTED CENTER TEAR by Richard Osterlind (both in his book or in his new videos) will perfectly do the job.

But my opinion is strongly biased because I'm a BIG Richard Osterlind fan! Eh! Eh! Smile

Menetekel
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
I second Menetekel in this.

After I learned the PCT I use it all the time - right under the spectactors nose.

The tear is (almost) undetectable, and it is no evidence to get rid of.
You give all the pieces to the spectactor.

Osterlind says in his PCT book that he breaks the rule of not doing a routine twice for the same spectactors all the time, when he uses this routine.
My reccomendation; Just get it!
Sven
Glenn
View Profile
New user
Seaford, Sussex, UK
80 Posts

Profile of Glenn
Also Lee Earle's Center Tear has a great hidden peek.
Check out his center tear teach in video.
rgranville
View Profile
Elite user
Boston area
462 Posts

Profile of rgranville
And if you read Richard Busch's Peek Performances, you'll see yet another way to do a center tear without burning the remnants.
:banana:
Lee Marelli
View Profile
Special user
Aurora, Colorado
876 Posts

Profile of Lee Marelli
The suggestions are excellent. I particulary like and use Osterlind's since it can be done with "dry hands."

You are absolutely right about avoiding the old fashioned bit of burning the paper since many places now discourage the burning of anything as a potential fire hazard. If you are performing for an event, make sure you check out whether they will permit the burning. The safe way is just forget it and try the recommended tears. Hope this helps. Smile
"Mentalism is a state of mind." Marelli
sc24evr
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of sc24evr
Thanks everyone, I'm looking forward to buying Osterlind's book. Thanks again
vratkins
View Profile
Regular user
New Orleans USA
151 Posts

Profile of vratkins
Mike,
There's a variation in Corinda's that doesn't require burning. It's by Punx, I think. It's still the classic CT, but has a nice big throw off. I could never get the pieces to burn properly in an ash tray anyway.

In addition to what Menetekel says, I would also suggest you look into the Bruce Bernstein tear, and "centear", from Mind Myth and Magic. I use Centear, just because it's the first one I learned, not because it's better than Bernstein's. Unlike Richard's, you can use any paper.

You know, If curcumstances permit, I really think that burning the paper adds so much to the presentation. It makes is seem more mysterous.

Regards,
Victor
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Quote:
On 2003-10-26 22:58, vratkins wrote:
Mike,
it's better than Bernstein's. Unlike Richard's, you can use any paper.

Eh...With respect, Victor, you can use any paper for Richard Osterlind too.

Sven
MisterE21
View Profile
Elite user
Salt Lake City, UT
426 Posts

Profile of MisterE21
Yep, I agree. Finally gathered up the cojones to do Ricahrd's Center Tear last night and had an absolute blast!

It was the only thing I've done thus far where the people I was doing it for were completely insistent on doing it again...and again...

Thanks to Richard's teaching, I did it sitting directly next to the person I was doing it with...she was amazed and insistently told EVERYONE that she was watching nothing but my hands and the writing was never in a place it could be seen.

I love it!

And, for the record, I used simply every day copy paper. ::shrug::

E
Your EFFECT is only as good as its AFFECT.
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Quote:
On 2003-10-27 03:00, MisterE21 wrote:

Thanks to Richard's teaching, I did it sitting directly next to the person I was doing it with...writing was never in a place it could be seen.

I even do it surrounded, - no problems! People can't see anything.
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Rather than tearing the paper, better to study and learn the peeks in Richard Busch's "Peek Performances" which will give you many ways to gain the info with no need to destroy anything AND in Peek Encores, there is a way to let them drop their paper into a glass and you can still peek the info.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Richard Busch
View Profile
Regular user
Pittsburgh, PA - USA
105 Posts

Profile of Richard Busch
Since some here have asked, here is the information -

PEEK ENCORES by Richard Busch

Peek Encores is now available for shipping, directly from me to you!

I am calling Peek Encores "The Billet Worker's Workbook." It is an in-depth treatise on four
revolutionary billets and their many adaptations for the mature, modern mentalist who desires
state-of-the-art, in-full-view methods of immediate, invisible information acquisition. No
switching, no duplicates, no stealing, and no tearing! Ultra-clean, live-time, instantly accessed
information ... at your fingertips.

As you will see, the premise really comes from Annemann. I identify a theme that was
looking for clarity and solutions. Everything in Peek Encores answers his call.

Imagine instantly peeking new billets where you hold them at your fingertips for a few
comfortable moments of pause, and return them without switches, tearing, stealing
duplicates, impressions, and so forth.

Imagine a billet you could dependably read that a participant secretly wrote on (sans forcing
or pencil reading), folded herself, ... and you honestly never touched! Imagine how strongly
you could frame, word, and present that, in real-time and especially pre-show.

These solutions and much more are what Peek Encores is and will mean to you. Some of the
top PEA members are quoted, as well as the thoughts of one of the biggest names in
mentalism you will almost not believe.

With the help of clear text on 110 big pages (on the best 32 pound laser paper) and a
whopping 175 photos, you will enjoy this format! It is very user friendly. For the voyeur in
you, Peek Encores is loaded with the sequential, step-by-step information that will update
and surpass previous handlings. It is a breakthrough billet bonanza for mentalists who can no
longer afford to handle billets like a magician!

The price is only $75 + p/h and for this project (and all the work that went into it), I am more
than comfortable with that. If you want new clarity and directness in your billet work, then
you want to order Peek Encores. I promise I won't disappoint you!

The time to order is right now. Peek Encores (the sequel to Peek Performances) will be
mailed to mentalists in the order requests are received.

In the States: price is $75 + $5 p/h. $80 PPD.
Elsewhere: price is US $75 + US $11 p/h. US $86 PPD.

In the States: checks and money orders by snail mail are most appreciated.

Richard Busch
8209 Thompson Run Road
Pittsburgh, PA 15237-6347

For those in the States: I have a Personal account with PayPal and can accept cash transfers
only via PayPal. Go to https://www.paypal.com/ and click on the "Send Money" link.

Send payment to me at: mindful@telerama.com

Remember, this is all for cash transfers only, not credit cards.

If you wish to use a credit card, I only accept PayPal and credit cards through my partner
Paul Alberstat. Go to http://www.paypal.com and send payment to paul@mindguy.com

** Please add $3 for PayPal credit card charges US $83 PPD (in the States) or US $89 PPD
(out of the country). **

I also accept Western Union through BidPay in US Funds.

Questions? Concerns? Call or e-mail me privately.

Telephone (412) 366-1000

E-mail mindful@telerama.com

Sincerely,

Richard Busch
Richard Busch
<BR>www.RichardBusch.com
<BR>RichardBusch@RichardBusch.com
www.TheMindFocuser.com
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Why in the wide world carry around a GLASS to drop billets into?
If this is logical, somebody has to explain to me WHY it is.

Sven
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2842 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Sven,

No one would carry a glass around to drop billets into in casual circumstances. In a formal performance, having the glass on hand so the performer never touches the billet and it always remains in view would be as logical as much of what we do, perhaps even moreso. There are various billet holders used by top mentalists, that simply hold a billet on display while it is not in use or while it's innards are being divined. This (you should see the glass Richard suggests) is actually a classier solution and less gimmicky than any of the stands I've seen. And Richard's use is a stroke of genius.

In many casual venues the right glass will be nearby. If so, and you know what to do, miracle time. Hope that helps.

Bill
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Thanks, Bill
On your recommendation I guess I will look into this material.
Regards
Sven
Menetekel
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of Menetekel
Bill is right on this one and I'm sure Peek Encores is a well thought of book, I love the Acidus Novus and other peeks too but I still prefer the Osterlind tear and I have no problems with tearing.

Let's face it, once upon a time there was tear+burn. Then some magical minds thought that tearing+burning was a sort of overkill or highly illogical (not that TRUE MAGICK has to follow logic, anyway). Now we come to the point in which tearing is illogical too. Bah!

If this is something to advertise the new Peek Encores in every section of the Café, then so be it but telling that it's better a no-tear method rather than a tear one is purely subjective.

How would SOME people react if the opposite was happening in this thread, specifically Richard Osterlind posting to say something on the line of "peeking is good but it's better if you study my PERFECTED CENTER TEAR booklet or buy my videos OSTERLIND MYSTERIES directly from me or from L&L Publishing" ?

And, in any case, even if Richard Osterlind did, would be, in a sense, more in tune with the topic of this thread that is "CENTRE TEAR HELP"

Menetekel
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Well spoken, Menetekel.

Sven
Richard Busch
View Profile
Regular user
Pittsburgh, PA - USA
105 Posts

Profile of Richard Busch
Gentlemen -

You misunderstand. I posted the annoucement here because it was mentioned here and I was specifically asked to (by someone I don't even know on the Café). It was a courtesy. That's why it is not listed as a separate catagory.

The people that have name billets available are my friends and respected colleagues. We all just release what we use and prefer. There is no "best". Properly performed, they are all good. Tearing is not illogical. It just isn't automatically necessary, unless it fits your character and you want to do it.

Any further questions, please contact me privately.

Sincerely,

Richard Busch
Richard Busch
<BR>www.RichardBusch.com
<BR>RichardBusch@RichardBusch.com
www.TheMindFocuser.com
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Ive seen the Osterlind video where he does the centre tear a number of times in a group before or after the show. And if Richard had advertised it and I bought it I would've been happy with the buy. It is a great learning tool. Even although I don't use the centre tear.

I think really these new peeks are where the future is going with billets. Up until I discovered Alain's Billet moves I wouldn't touch a billet.

If Richards new book is in the same league and I trust Bill's enthusiasm then its a must buy if you want to move beyond where you are.

If you are happy using centre tears and don't want to explore these new ways then that's fine to. These new peeks have more applications than tears and are totally innocent to watch.

Smile

But I know what you mean it would be nice to see some posts from these guys now and again instead of only when they are selling something. However I will more than likely get this new book.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Center tear help (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL