The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Explaining my obsession (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
My wife is often bewildered by my habitual purchases and reading of magic books. She’s actually very understanding, but still doesn’t quite understand why I always need another book. I’ve never really tried to explain this obsession, but after thinking about it, I propose the following analogy to explain myself:

Magic books are like cookbooks.

Each book is filled with delicious recipes for entertainment, just waiting to be mastered and presented for consumption by a spectator. It’s never enough just to have one book from which to draw ideas! There is a distinct learning pattern.

Some books are devoted to basics, like how to break an egg (or how to perform a basic card control). These books are essential to a good understanding of how the process works and to build confidence as you procure future epicurean delights. Once you understand the basics, other books provide recipes of varying complexity. Some have patterns that only the most detailed chefs could follow. This may not be for everyone, but they can definitely evoke some amazing sensory reactions. Of course, even simple recipes can still satisfy a crowd of hungry onlookers!

In the beginning, you tend to buy books indiscriminately, primarily just to be exposed to new ideas and thoughts and because of your exuberance over this newfound pleasure. Sometimes, these purchases occur because you’ve sampled one of the creations inside, while other times you buy the book based on the recommendation of a fellow connoisseur. As you progress through “cookbooks” of varying flavors, you gradually become aware of your own distinct style and taste. This new self-awareness progressively allows for more discernment in future purchases, focusing on the specific experience you want your audience to enjoy. A good cook will expose themselves to all kinds of concepts in order to get a true appreciation for the art and have a vast expanse of knowledge from which to draw ideas.

Eventually, you reach the stage where you are able to dream up your own creations based on the knowledge you’ve been building all along with each book. This could lead to you publishing your own “cookbook,” or, it could result in your own brand of delights for sagacious customers. Of course, this is possible only if you try out some of the concoctions from the cookbooks that you have! Food, like magic, is only as good as the consumer perceives it. It has to be produced and consumed to be appreciated; so while you plan out your next book purchase, take some time to cook up a magic trick for your favorite spectator. You may just whet their appetite for more magic. Happy reading and bon appétit!
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
Oh sure, help justify and enable my addiction, shame on you! (hahaha)

I love what you wrote BTW, nicely put, Jeff. I'm a book guy..I can't stop ...please hel..Oh look! A new book's being released... [Runs away]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Explaining my obsession (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL