The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » IMS DVD Sale (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Has anyone seen the back of October's MAGIC magazine that offers the 50 volume Best of DVD set for only $199.

I wonder how these are.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Jim Tighe
View Profile
Veteran user
West Virginia
363 Posts

Profile of Jim Tighe
I bought the IMS DVD (50 volume) set from last year and was very pleased. Some of the legends of magic performing their pet routines. Looking at who is in the set this year I definitely plan on getting this (on my Christmas list).

Something to keep in mind though is that each volume is on the light side, typically 4 to 5 effects and running 30-40 minutes.
Paul Menzel
View Profile
Special user
Boise, Idaho
530 Posts

Profile of Paul Menzel
I haven't seen these, but I do have the two previous sets offered by IMS. On the plus side, there is plenty of material for the price. With five volumes per disc, each volume averaging 30 minutes, you get about 2 1/2 hours of material on each DVD. With a $200 price tag, you are looking at $20 per disc, which costs less than most while offering more material. Considering the scope of the material, that's not a bad deal.

On the down side, the production quality is pretty low, but still generally watchable. These are transfers from VHS (though the Master may have been something other than VHS). The first set had two volumes with defective audio (one with extraneous noise, the other with audio out of sync with video). IMS corrected the problem and sent out replacement discs for the DVDs which contained the faulty volumes.

All things considered, if you have any interest in the content and are of the sort who is more concerned with picking up useful information or just expanding your magic knowledge instead of being obsessive over production quality, this should be a pretty safe gamble.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
That's all I needed to konw-I'm placing my order today.

I have a couple of their videos and enjoy seeing the masters teach.

Thanks guys!!!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
I purchased their DVD set last year. I have watched them all and refer to them often. The content is very good. The production quality issues were coovered by Paul.

For $200 they were a steal. I will have to investigate the new series to see what it contains
Magic is fun!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » IMS DVD Sale (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.39 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL