The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Human Beggar Zoo in China (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
FatHatter
View Profile
Regular user
I'm here you're there and that's that.
137 Posts

Profile of FatHatter
Quote:
On 2012-09-27 06:49, irossall wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-09-26 12:51, FatHatter wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-09-26 12:48, irossall wrote:
The homeless should get a job, then they won't be homless anymore. Problem Solved!
Iven Smile

It would be nice if job equaled home.

Work at home. Many people do.
Iven Smile

Well first one would need a home now wouldn't one?
Pecan_Creek
View Profile
Veteran user
The Nation of TEXAS!
323 Posts

Profile of Pecan_Creek
Home is where the heart is !
Pecan_Creek
View Profile
Veteran user
The Nation of TEXAS!
323 Posts

Profile of Pecan_Creek
I apologize if I offended anyone with the comment about the homeless starting a business.
After reflecting on it I remembered a incident in my younger days:

I came home and realized I couldn't find my keys.
Then I remembered I had given my butler the day off.
Can you beleive it!
I had to sleep on the tennis court all night.
I definently can empathize with the homeless.
It Sucks!

Sorry guys.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Huh. I thought I made a post here about my experience of spending a winter homeless. Maybe it hadn't finished submitting when I closed my laptop.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2012-09-27 06:49, irossall wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-09-26 12:51, FatHatter wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-09-26 12:48, irossall wrote:
The homeless should get a job, then they won't be homless anymore. Problem Solved!
Iven Smile

It would be nice if job equaled home.

Work at home. Many people do.
Iven Smile

"There's a hole in the bucket, Mariah-Mariah, there's a hole in the bucket, Mariah, a hole."
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2012-09-26 14:09, stoneunhinged wrote:
Thanks, dreadnought.

You're right: poor people are the same world-over. They're poor. Smile

Thanks for the reminder.

But as entertainment?
Will they put on shows? Will the cage managers charge to attend? Will there be a petting zoo?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Mighty Joe Young, entrepreneur.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Throughout history, and undoubtedly throughout prehistory, almost all of the people who lived in the world were desperately poor.

All of the animals are desperately poor, too. They are naked, homeless, and spend all of their time foraging for food, or hunting for food, or trying to escape from predators. When pestilence, plague, and natural disasters don't overwhelm them.

That is the natural condition of mankind, too.

The question is not, therefore, why there are poor people, but rather, what is it that enables people no longer to be poor.

There are 10 times as many people in the world as there were 500 years ago. The standard of living for half of today's people is probably not much different than it was for 98% of the world's people 500 years ago. But half of the people on earth today have a standard of living immeasurably better than almost anybody had 500 years ago.

How did that happen?
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
Perth, down by the cool of the pool
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Quote:
On 2012-09-27 21:39, Woland wrote:
Throughout history, and undoubtedly throughout prehistory, almost all of the people who lived in the world were desperately poor.

All of the animals are desperately poor, too. They are naked, homeless, and spend all of their time foraging for food, or hunting for food, or trying to escape from predators. When pestilence, plague, and natural disasters don't overwhelm them.

That is the natural condition of mankind, too.

The question is not, therefore, why there are poor people, but rather, what is it that enables people no longer to be poor.

There are 10 times as many people in the world as there were 500 years ago. The standard of living for half of today's people is probably not much different than it was for 98% of the world's people 500 years ago. But half of the people on earth today have a standard of living immeasurably better than almost anybody had 500 years ago.

How did that happen?

Accompanied education?

What are your thoughts Woland?

Kam
If I speak forth, many a mind will shatter,
And if I write, many a pen will break.
.....and when I consider my own self, lo, I find it coarser than clay!
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Hi Kam,

Education is undoubtedly important. But I think the most important element that changed, roughly 500 years ago, was the gradual and then more accelerated appearance of economies that were not rigidly controlled by governments whose rulers and bureaucrats thought they knew what was best for everyone.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Quote:
On 2012-09-27 19:56, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-09-26 14:09, stoneunhinged wrote:
Thanks, dreadnought.

You're right: poor people are the same world-over. They're poor. Smile

Thanks for the reminder.

But as entertainment?
Will they put on shows? Will the cage managers charge to attend? Will there be a petting zoo?

that's up to the TSA.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
Perth, down by the cool of the pool
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Quote:
On 2012-09-28 06:43, Woland wrote:
Hi Kam,

Education is undoubtedly important. But I think the most important element that changed, roughly 500 years ago, was the gradual and then more accelerated appearance of economies that were not rigidly controlled by governments whose rulers and bureaucrats thought they knew what was best for everyone.

Thanks Woland.

What sorts of things happened 500 or so years ago that, in your opinion, were significant contributors to this rapid advancement?

Kam
If I speak forth, many a mind will shatter,
And if I write, many a pen will break.
.....and when I consider my own self, lo, I find it coarser than clay!
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Hi Kam,

As I said, I think it was the gradual appearance of free economies in northern Europe that prepared the way for mercantile and industrial progress, which has made a dramatically improved standard of living possible for many times more people than lived on this earth, almost all of them in dire poverty, 500 years ago. The rebirth of Mediterranean trade in the Renaissance, this time without the overall domination by an imperial bureaucracy, and the foundation of the Hanseatic League, are two examples of the processes that began around 500 years ago and started the process.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Human Beggar Zoo in China (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL