The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and Balls: sharing the sleights with the audience (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2012-09-29 12:13, cirrus wrote:
I don't like the vernon load sequence, at this moment I don't even use final loads.
I have performed my cup routine a few hundred times and I was never asked about the final loads, so they don't care. That, too, is a magician's thing.

They don't ask about the final loads because they don't know about them. That's why it's a BIG SURPRISE!
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2012-09-29 12:13, cirrus wrote:

Exposition is exposition. Clear and simple. I don't like it because it is awkward. You could as well show them the 4th ball and be done with it.

Which Gazzo does in his routine. The fake\real explanation sequence is a matter of personal choice. There isn't a right answer. If you like it then use it, if not then don't.

I've always hated Vernon's handling of the 2-0-2. So I sat down and worked out a solution I was happier with. I could easily do the same with he fake transfer, if it bothered me. But it doesn't. As I said before it gives me a good line that works perfectly in my presentation and helps establish character. I left it in for a reason not because I was too lazy to take it out.

It also always makes me smile a little on the inside when I do the bit as you are still not showing them what you'r actually doing even though they think you are.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
I've no problem with it in principle, but I don't really use it. Granted, I also no longer do anything really resembling a "classic" 3 cup routine, however, when I did, I preferred to do more of a flurry type sequence, where you keep trying to put the balls away, but they keep coming back, undesirably. Not so much that its repetitive, nor that it hammers the idea that you keep going back to the pockets into their heads of course.

I got it to the point that I only put away all the balls, then the first one comes back, and I focus in just that one, as it goes bank to the pocket, only to reappear, and then all three kind of reappear "at once," which had a nice punctuation, and created a bit of a separation from the pockets and the final reveal.
Finished by tossing all three aside together, then final reveal sequence.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of malaki
Old thread, still relevant topic.

I do not like exposing any of the actual works of my effects, for I think that it weakens it.

I would much rather feed them a line that is no real application, but sounds logical. After all, I am a magician - they expect me to do stuff that they can't, and they really don't want to know how it is done. Why should I serve an explanation to them on a silver platter? My job is to keep secrets and to use those secrets to blow their collective minds. I will not sacrifice one of those secrets as a gag, for when you give an explanation, the audience either accepts it as true (in which case,that's how it is all done), or they consider the explanation as BS.

"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,
Then baffle them with !@#$%^&*."

I try to do both, for that is for what they came to the see.

I practice Ornamental Turning - making an object turned on the lathe look like a castle tower, for instance.
When someone sees my work, the first thing they always ask is: "How did you do that?"
As soon as I start to tell them, I can see their eyes glaze over, for the explanation is more than they wanted to know.
If you do that with magic, they quickly lose interest.
I refer to it as "The Pliny Effect."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and Balls: sharing the sleights with the audience (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL